Accupuncture

Joe Ferguson forever

Who has tried it?  Working out some back issues and don't want to go to shots and definitely not surgery.  Had 3 treatments and I think there's been a 50% improvement.  Something is definitely happening.  He hit a spot yesterday that caused a stinger and I had to have him move it.  Also the aching area has moved and decreased in size.  Do NFL players use it?  Do you?

I have tried it, at my wife’s suggestion. I just did it once or twice, and I think it may have helped a bit. My biggest takeaway? Oddly, it made me claustrophobic. I had all these needles sticking out of me, and I couldn’t move. You say acupuncture, I think claustrophobia. I would have tried more if not for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have tried it, at my wife’s suggestion. I just did it once or twice, and I think it may have helped a bit. My biggest takeaway? Oddly, it made me claustrophobic. I had all these needles sticking out of me, and I couldn’t move. You say acupuncture, I think claustrophobia. I would have tried more if not for that. 

I didn't get claustrophobic at all.  It was done face down on a massage table with an open face pillow.  He also did electrostimulation of muscles.  That feels pretty strange and caused tingling in my toes.

Mods, can you change the title to "acupuncture"?  I guess i was thinking of accuweather

Edited by redtail hawk

I have had treatment twice.  Once to help in correcting insomnia and the other was due to back and shoulder injuries. 

I find acupuncture to be like other treatments - it works for some and not others.  People vary and sometimes treatments are not effective.

Only treatment which I find to work 100% for me was a cluster headache set of medications which I took once and it never returned again.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I have also had the cupping treatment.  One Korean doctor wanted pictures of me in book he was writing.

So, if you have more back or shoulder pain, are you going back?  I increased my activity quite a bit today.  Still needed 2 motrin but I'm going to keep going for a while.

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

So, if you have more back or shoulder pain, are you going back?  I increased my activity quite a bit today.  Still needed 2 motrin but I'm going to keep going for a while.

I have a Mongolian lady heavily recommended but she is away on vacation.

Unfortunately usually these treatments cannot be paid using flex money so I am looking at supplementing it with chiropractor who uses electrostimulation as well.

The money was intended for dental work but my dentist retired and know none I trust.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

Unfortunately usually these treatments cannot be paid using flex money so I am looking at supplementing it with chiropractor who uses electrostimulation as well.

Yup.  That's an issue.  I paid $85 for a treatment and he has an NPI to send to insurance.  I'm hoping it at least counts against my deductible.  We'll see.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I have also had the cupping treatment.  One Korean doctor wanted pictures of me in book he was writing.

Red flag! Hope you weren't nekkid!

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So in other words, she's gone for most of the yurt?

I will be here all week, chef says: "Try the veal!"

• Haha (+1) 1

Fine a good sports massage person, preferably a PT. Get one that is level 2 certified in DN and will use e-stim in conjunction. They will work to fix the symptoms while enabling you the tools to fix the cause (tightness, range of motion, weakness, etc)

Fwiw I have worked with many levels of bodywork types.  PT, LMBT, etc.

Cupping isn't a great primary tool it's best and useful as an additional tool with a theragun, scraping, massage, dry needling, e-stim, and rolling.

• Like (+1) 1

I know a man who not only practices as an ER Doctor but also accupuncture. I went to him for treatment of migraine headaches. And Yes It did help. 

what was interesting about it was he also placed needles around an area of my ankle where I had sustained a previous injury. 

the needles part yeah noone really "likes" shots from needles but I did it 🙂 woopeee . the expertice of the practitioner is Key. I would do it again

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Good thread. I have been wanting to try it to help my shoulders. 

As someone who has had both shoulder surgery (tore both shoveling snow) and acupuncture understand the differences each technique help.  Acupuncture does not correct damaged muscles, ligaments, joints or bones but can help the body heal when blood is not flowing right and reduce chronic pain by stimulate the release of endorphins.  Sometimes it is best to have a practitioner who can do both massage and acupuncture for if something is not properly aligned which often happens after an injury or used a lot as in sports acupuncture will help reduce the pain but not help resolve problem.  Electrostimulation (called Electroacupuncture when used with acupuncture) helps as microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulation.

Each practitioner is different and it takes several sessions to become effective.  I had a practitioner doing it for insomnia and first time her treatment was effective and second time it was not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

As someone who has had both shoulder surgery (tore both shoveling snow) and acupuncture understand the differences each technique help.  Acupuncture does not correct damaged muscles, ligaments, joints or bones but can help the body heal when blood is not flowing right and reduce chronic pain by stimulate the release of endorphins.  Sometimes it is best to have a practitioner who can do both massage and acupuncture for if something is not properly aligned which often happens after an injury or used a lot as in sports acupuncture will help reduce the pain but not help resolve problem.  Electrostimulation (called Electroacupuncture when used with acupuncture) helps as microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulation.

Each practitioner is different and it takes several sessions to become effective.  I had a practitioner doing it for insomnia and first time her treatment was effective and second time it was not.

Dry needling is the musculature work and can be done with e-stim. It's amazing 

• Thank you (+1) 1

After my 3rd treatment, I'm 75% better.  The day after my last treatment, I felt a ball of spasming back muscles snap back into place.  Instant relief.  But I agree, don't see how it can repair torn ligaments, tendons etc.  For me, it helped with inflammation and spasm and I'm very happy with that.  2 more sessions next week and then maybe I'm fixed and time to build up my core.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

After my 3rd treatment, I'm 75% better.  The day after my last treatment, I felt a ball of spasming back muscles snap back into place.  Instant relief.  But I agree, don't see how it can repair torn ligaments, tendons etc.  For me, it helped with inflammation and spasm and I'm very happy with that.  2 more sessions next week and then maybe I'm fixed and time to build up my core.

Some people try yoga to prolong their age and mobility. Another I can recommend using is ROMWOD or GoWOD. They're designed to accompany exercise and work on mobility. You can do a trial but it will help a lot more than you'll believe if you stick with it a month. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.