Sound of Freedom movie

19 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Sure...but doesn't that have the same exact effect? 

The claiming movies or celebrities thing is so strange to me. Like I've seen both sides try to claim Bill Burr for example. I think he's probably just a dude that agrees and disagrees with things on both sides and makes fun of both sides if you pay attention to him. Like he completely slams cancel culture and extreme feminists but is also a believer in social programs. 

Not everything is political, I think you would probably agree with that, but these groups that in my opinion that are so obsessed with "winning" try to make it that way. I haven't done any kind of deep dive into this movie so I have no idea if it's actually political...but if you just looked at headlines from both sides you would totally think it is. 

I don't believe the movie itself is political at all, nor is it Christian faith oriented, it is simply a movie based on real life events of people trying to bust up child trafficking cartels. Youtube and other social media sites are the ones who make this movie a political event. 

• Like (+1) 1

Andy Ngô EXPOSES 'minor-attracted-person' advocates trying to trash 'Sound of Freedom' as a QAnon movie

(Fortunately for the lefties here on PPP, Ngo is someone that they long ago put on their "we don't have to listen to him" list )

On 7/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, JaCrispy said:

This is also why Top Gun Maverick ... did so well

You mean the movie where "the enemy" was pretty obviously Iran (maybe Afghanistan) but the film makers steadfastly refused to name the country? It was referred to only as "the enemy." In other words, the wokeiest move of 2022 films.

That doesn't count?

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You mean the movie where "the enemy" was pretty obviously Iran (maybe Afghanistan) but the film makers steadfastly refused to name the country? It was referred to only as "the enemy." In other words, the wokeiest move of 2022 films.

That doesn't count?

Nah, that has nothing to do with being woke…

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Nah, that has nothing to do with being woke…

I guess I'm not understanding what counts as "woke."

One of the earlier MI movies edited out scenes of urban decay in Shanghai because China didn't like that. Woke? I guess not.

Female fighter pilot in Maverick. Woke? I guess not.

Black woman with red wig cast as wholly mythical creature in The Little Mermaid. Woke!!

There is nothing in the least bit political or controversial about this movie. The bad guys are Colombian and nothing American politics related even close to comes up. Shocking to see the character assassinations come out on what is such a benign, normal movie.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, paulmm3 said:

There is nothing in the least bit political or controversial about this movie. The bad guys are Colombian and nothing American politics related even close to comes up. Shocking to see the character assassinations come out on what is such a benign, normal movie.

Can you imagine being up in arms over a movie that portrays the brutality of child trafficking? Who are these people?

• Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That doesn't count?

This is why I come here. Content like “Top Gun 2 is woke” is literally available nowhere else. 

• Haha (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Could have sworn you’ve expressed confusion over what woke even is. Good for you for wading in and figuring it all out. 

I'm saying a movie clearly avoiding naming a geopolitical opponent of the United States - Iran - as "the enemy." Why? Well, I suppose it was to not offend Iranian Americans or even Muslims in general. It made for some stupid scenes. I actually thought I'd missed the line where "Iran" was named when I saw it, so I had to look it up when I got home. That's usually what we call "woke" - the desire not to offend someone, anyone, even if it's in a movie where it only makes sense to name names.

So it gets a pass because overall it is viewed as a patriotic American movie.

I'm watching another series now called "Hijack" on Apple TV. Pretty good thriller. Straightforward old-fashioned scripting linear scripting. A middle eastern airline (clearly a stand-in for Emirates) is the victim of the hijacking. I'm gonna guess that the original draft had a politically motivated 9/11 type hijacking. But they go out of their way to make the Arab characters generally pro-law enforcement and the bad guys are (you guessed it) a British drug and human trafficking gang. Got that? Human traffickers are now the only acceptable villains. It is hard to make sense of the plot with an ordinary crime syndicate as the villains - what, they're going to go on a suicide hijack mission for a criminal syndicate, not for a political belief?

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm saying a movie clearly avoiding naming a geopolitical opponent of the United States - Iran - as "the enemy." Why? Well, I suppose it was to not offend Iranian Americans or even Muslims in general. It made for some stupid scenes. I actually thought I'd missed the line where "Iran" was named when I saw it, so I had to look it up when I got home. That's usually what we call "woke" - the desire not to offend someone, anyone, even if it's in a movie where it only makes sense to name names.

So it gets a pass because overall it is viewed as a patriotic American movie.

I'm watching another series now called "Hijack" on Apple TV. Pretty good thriller. Straightforward old-fashioned scripting linear scripting. A middle eastern airline (clearly a stand-in for Emirates) is the victim of the hijacking. I'm gonna guess that the original draft had a politically motivated 9/11 type hijacking. But they go out of their way to make the Arab characters generally pro-law enforcement and the bad guys are (you guessed it) a British drug and human trafficking gang. Got that? Human traffickers are now the only acceptable villains. It is hard to make sense of the plot with an ordinary crime syndicate as the villains - what, they're going to go on a suicide hijack mission for a criminal syndicate, not for a political belief?

Thank you for helping me understand what I watched. Just to be clear, it was definitely Iran/Muslims being the reason for the wokeness of the movie? No way it could have been NoKo/Koreans or China/Chinese, right? Any chance that the movie being made in an era where there’s not much clarity on the #1 geopolitical foe contributed to a nameless enemy for storytelling purposes? And is it really viewed overall as a patriotic American movie? Seems more like an action movie with relationship issues built in. I didn’t even pick up on the flag waving. But again thank you. I now know where to go for expertise on film, small town life, and wokeness. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Thank you for helping me understand what I watched. Just to be clear, it was definitely Iran/Muslims being the reason for the wokeness of the movie? No way it could have been NoKo/Koreans or China/Chinese, right? Any chance that the movie being made in an era where there’s not much clarity on the #1 geopolitical foe contributed to a nameless enemy for storytelling purposes? And is it really viewed overall as a patriotic American movie? Seems more like an action movie with relationship issues built in. I didn’t even pick up on the flag waving. But again thank you. I now know where to go for expertise on film, small town life, and wokeness. 

Thank you. I know understand. It is "woke" if it has a black person or a gay person in a major role of the sort previously played by a white straight person.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thank you. I know understand. It is "woke" if it has a black person or a gay person in a major role of the sort previously played by a white straight person.

Now you’re all over the place. You’ve gone from not knowing what it means, to it meaning something on display in Top Gun 2 (you have at least staked out an exclusive spot with that one) to it being about black or gay people getting “white/straight” roles. Maybe you know less than you are letting on. It’s not easy being an expert on so many topics. Hang in there. 

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

Now you’re all over the place. You’ve gone from not knowing what it means, to it meaning something on display in Top Gun 2 (you have at least staked out an exclusive spot with that one) to it being about black or gay people getting “white/straight” roles. Maybe you know less than you are letting on. It’s not easy being an expert on so many topics. Hang in there. 

Let me as The Woke Police. We have a lot of anti-woke cops around here. Woke or Not Woke?

Top Gun II: Maverick featured a white hetero male lead and a white hetero male sidekick. Even though the obviously Iranian "enemy" is not named, the Americans were obviously the good guys (which they wouldn't have been if the "enemy" was the eastern Ukraine, in which case they would have been perpetuating the military industrial endless war deep state, but whatever ...). What if it had:

A. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead with a young straight black male sidekick? [I'm guessing "not woke" since this is apparently kind of o.k.]

B. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead with a young gay black male sidekick? I'm guessing it'd be labeled WOKE!

C. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead with a young lesbian pilot sidekick? Come on, that's too easy.

D. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead with a trans sidekick? You gotta be kidding me.

E. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead in a mission to knock out a uranium enrichment facility in a rogue country controlled by a white nationalist leader? This version would be boycotted.

F. Featured Tom Cruise listening to a lecture in front of a map which has Taiwan in the same color as the PRC? Probably o.k. so long as his character hasn't come out as bi.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Let me as The Woke Police. We have a lot of anti-woke cops around here. Woke or Not Woke?

Top Gun II: Maverick featured a white hetero male lead and a white hetero male sidekick. Even though the obviously Iranian "enemy" is not named, the Americans were obviously the good guys (which they wouldn't have been if the "enemy" was the eastern Ukraine, in which case they would have been perpetuating the military industrial endless war deep state, but whatever ...). What if it had:

A. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead with a young straight black male sidekick? [I'm guessing "not woke" since this is apparently kind of o.k.]

B. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead with a young gay black male sidekick? I'm guessing it'd be labeled WOKE!

C. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead with a young lesbian pilot sidekick? Come on, that's too easy.

D. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead with a trans sidekick? You gotta be kidding me.

E. Featured Tom Cruise as a straight white male lead in a mission to knock out a uranium enrichment facility in a rogue country controlled by a white nationalist leader? This version would be boycotted.

F. Featured Tom Cruise listening to a lecture in front of a map which has Taiwan in the same color as the PRC? Probably o.k. so long as his character hasn't come out as bi.

You are fighting the good fight on Top Gun wokeness. Please don’t stop here. It’s all so fascinating. And unusual. Hopefully you will give us the wokeness review on Mission Impossible. Hope I didn’t miss that already. 

4 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

You are fighting the good fight on Top Gun wokeness. Please don’t stop here. It’s all so fascinating. And unusual. Hopefully you will give us the wokeness review on Mission Impossible. Hope I didn’t miss that already. 

Oh, I most certainly will. By the way, did you notice this in your anti-woke Maverick? 

And still you stream it with all the groomers.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Oh, I most certainly will. By the way, did you notice this in your anti-woke Maverick? 

And still you stream it with all the groomers.

I think we are both confident that you are on the right track with your Top Gun 2 wokeness campaign. I was just asking questions. 

I typically go to movies to be entertained rather than pick them apart for product placement which is so commonplace that it’s no longer an annoyance to me. 

Your last comment seems a tad idiotic for someone with your many fields of expertise. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1