Colin Cowherd's Take

newcam2012

14 minutes ago, Billl said:

Why would a National guy mention the McGovern signing?  To this point in his career, he has been the definition of JAG.  Now maybe Beane saw something that nobody else did and he turns out to be a great signing, but unless and until that happens, it’s not a move he deserves any sort of recognition over.  It’s not like he signed an established anchor on the line or made an aggressive move to draft a blue chip prospect.  

If this season ends the way last year’s did, Beane is going to be a pariah.  The narrative will be that he had an entire offseason to address the line and WR situations and the best he came up with was Connor McGovern, a late second round rookie Guard, Deonte Harty, and Trent Sherfield.  Nobody is going to be shocked if those moves fail to move the needle.  Similarly, nobody is going to be shocked if a bunch of guys in their thirties are worn down and/or injured by the end of the season again.

Now these moves could end up working to perfection, and if they do then the Bills are Super Bowl contenders.  Still, it’s hard to blame someone who looks at the offseason and doesn’t see how the moves Beane has made have pulled them ahead of Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Philadelphia come January.

Alot rides on can McGovern outperform Saffold? Can Torrence beat out Bates?  Can Spencer not crap the bed forcing Dorsey to use Shell?  On paper the new players should help but how much remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Or with Allen’s arm injury he was tiring and didn’t have the strength or accuracy by the 4th quarter. What were his numbers the past few years? What about the first half of season where we took the foot off the gas with big leads? Just not enough info to make such a judgement.

I agree.  And your point about the elbow is correct.  

I wasn't making a judgment about those things.  The statistical difference in passer rating may be significant.  I don't know.   My point only was that it isn't enough to say, "well, the Bills have a star quarterback, so it must be the coaches' fault."   There are a lot of reasons this team hasn't won as much as we wanted.  Allen could be one reason.  I don't know.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

The reason the Bills havent been winning in the post season is not Allen lol

He has more yards/game, higher completion% and a better TD/INT ratio in the playoffs than Tom Brady😂😂

To win in the playoffs and win the super bowl you need:everyone to fire on ALL cylinders and that includes the coaching staff along with the players and  the super stars. 

Our defense has done some outstanding job in the regular season in terms of points allowed etc. but have been inconsistent in the playoffs.  They couldn't close out games (Houston, KC)

Our coaches have made poor decisions at critical times.

On 6/7/2023 at 10:22 PM, newcam2012 said:

It's coaching. The coaching in the playoffs has been consistently poor along with poor game planning, schemes, and game time adjustments. 

The exception is when they play poor passing QBs like Lamar. 

I agree our defensive coaching in the playoffs is bs. We play all season disguising coverages against inferior qbs and it bites us huge in the playoffs.

Mahomes and Burrow are not intimidated by our sit back approach. They love the fact we can't rush the QB and put pressure on them into stupid mistakes. Instead we play zone and are slowly picked apart. 

Until the Bills can rush four and make life difficult on the opposing QB we are doomed. 

2 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I agree our defensive coaching in the playoffs is bs. We play all season disguising coverages against inferior qbs and it bites us huge in the playoffs.

Mahomes and Burrow are not intimidated by our sit back approach. They love the fact we can't rush the QB and put pressure on them into stupid mistakes. Instead we play zone and are slowly picked apart. 

Until the Bills can rush four and make life difficult on the opposing QB we are doomed. 

Agree but the Bills offense is a concern too. The playbook seems to be double Diggs and let someone else WR beat them. The Bills need an upgrade at the WR2 position. Hopefully Kincaid opens things up or the other acquired Wrs do.

Also, the oline has been very inconsistent. Allen has to be superman. Hopefully, the oline improves as does the running game.

Lastly, Dorsey was learning on the job. He needs to get better and hopefully he does. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills defense has been a mirage due to poor QB play inside the division and great QB play from Allen which often leads to statistical disparity.  It has never been as good as their regular season ranking indicates and the playoff results under McDermott have proven it to be unreliable.  Even in some of their playoff wins like the Indy and Miami game they were shredded and the only dominant performances were against Baltimore in 2020 weather assisted and the not playoff worthy Patriots of 2021.  I cringe every time I hear the Bills have the #1 defense.  These analysts aren't watching the games...smh 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

The Bills defense has been a mirage due to poor QB play inside the division and great QB play from Allen which often leads to statistical disparity.  It has never been as good as their regular season ranking indicates and the playoff results under McDermott have proven it to be unreliable.  Even in some of their playoff wins like the Indy and Miami game they were shredded and the only dominant performances were against Baltimore in 2020 weather assisted and the not playoff worthy Patriots of 2021.  I cringe every time I hear the Bills have the #1 defense.  These analysts aren't watching the games...smh 

They were NOT shredded against the Dolphins. They gave up one drive of over 30 yards.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

The Miami playoff game?  The defense only gave up 231 yards.  They gave up only one long touchdown drive more than 18 yards.  We gave up a 50 yard punt return and Allen threw two picks that gave them a short field in our territory along with fumbling one for a Miami defensive touchdown.  They also forced two key turnovers and made a couple of key stops on 4th down.  We lose that game if our defense didn't shine. 

This defense ranks so highly year after year (besides 2020) because they play a basic but effective system that excels in stopping below average to average QB's.  It's that simplicity that allows elite offenses to pick us apart.  The lack of ingenuity and adjustments is frustrating to watch for three straight playoff exit games.   I think they recognize this and it's why McDermott is taking over the play calling after axing Frazier.  They need a way to at least slow the Chiefs/Bengals down when we hopefully face them in January again.

Edited by Doc Brown

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.