Is October The Most Elite Month Of Total NFL Play?

corta765

Now that we finally are moving towards some real news and action in the NFL I finally am starting to think about the season and I had a thought of what month is the most enjoyable to watch football both in terms of excitement, teams having a chance, and overall quality of play. Going through the months I kind of thought of them like this:

September: Always exciting to start the season as hope springs eternal, but overaction season also to the max. Also living in NYS the weather is still really nice where maybe staying inside all of Sunday isn't as appealing. Also the NFL typically puts some of their lesser night matchups them so if the team isn't great it is gone quickly.

October: The games seem to really take some true importance and teams are at the point to many losses sink a season. There is something kind of mystical of a nice late October day watching football and its mid 50s out. Pretenders usually start to fall at this point while the real teams emerge. Last year on October 31st 11 of the 14 teams in the playoff spots made the playoffs with the Bengals were 4-4, the Jags and Bucs making made season runs while the Jets, Titans, and Falcons eventually fell. Basically you can trust what you see

November: The big games matter more but some lesser ones really emerge in national windows, the weather can get dicey where attending a game outdoors can get precipitation, and college football seems to take some of the limelight. Also a lot of teams have byes so your options of games to watch lower giving less quality matchup options. Thanksgiving is 50/50 with some years giving some really entertaining games and other years not as much. The Lions forever holding America hostage at the 12:30 spot has not helped the quality piece although maybe they are finally turning the corner.

December/Jan: Five of the eight division winners basically had their spot by Dec 26th. Despite the NFLs claims of parity, usually most division races are decided early in the month and the end is more about the playoff spots (still fun). At the same point there is no dodging the bad games at primetime and if you choose to watch them more power to you. The Saturday games haven't been too bad as the NFL smartened up with 5 options at night at least. Also you do get a big matchup like CIN-BUF or DAL-PHI late which is pretty cool, but realistically those games usually happen by the start of December with the NFLs focus on division at the end. The holidays falling on the weekend also make viewing difficult or challenging in a way which is never any fun.

For me if I were to rank the greatest enjoyment of when I watch the NFL by month and what it brings I would do the following:

October

September

November

December/Jan

• Like (+1) 1

The first couple weeks of the season are usually a bit sloppy and players are still building chemisty and rookies are still acclimating.

In October, every team still has a chance of making the playoffs, and players are still relatively healthy and fatigue hasn't set in.

17+ games takes a toll on players and I'm hoping they eventually add a second bye week because it would increase the level of play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

October is the best month period.  

Yes, I was born in October. Ask my mom!   😋

October is the beginning of the good stuff in the south, while it’s nearing the end of the good stuff up north. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.