Trump wants to ban ABORTION, IVF, MIFEPRISTONE nationwide and JAIL doctors who provide care.

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Huntsville, so really the only non-university town in Alabama with a decent percentage of college grads.

Still - this is a very good sign for Democrats. 

The district lines changed a bit in 2022, but for context here are the most recent elections:

• 2024: D+25
  • 2022: R+7
  • 2018: R+13
  • 2014: R won uncontested
  • 2010: R won uncontested

I don't know enough about Alabama to know how much of the (seemingly minor) district change would impact the demographics but it still seems like a huge swing to the Dems.

Just now, ChiGoose said:

The district lines changed a bit in 2022, but for context here are the most recent elections:

• 2024: D+25
  • 2022: R+7
  • 2018: R+13
  • 2014: R won uncontested
  • 2010: R won uncontested

I don't know enough about Alabama to know how much of the (seemingly minor) district change would impact the demographics but it still seems like a huge swing to the Dems.

Thanks. That is impressive. I imagine the Alabama reproductive rights/IVF thing really juiced DEM turnout, so there is that anomaly.

But from the other side: it's not like that issue is magically going away by November ...

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thanks. That is impressive. I imagine the Alabama reproductive rights/IVF thing really juiced DEM turnout, so there is that anomaly.

But from the other side: it's not like that issue is magically going away by November ...

My takeaway is that the IVF/abortion issue is a very good issue for the Dems and it is likely to still be a very live issue in November, but they cannot just rely on that winning it for them. They still need to do the work.

There were only 5,951 votes in this election compared to 14,696 in 2022 and 20,948 in 2018. I don't think it's wise to extrapolate *too* much from such an unusually low turnout election.

‘Morally dubious’: 4 House Republicans protest Biden's IVF expansion for veterans

"WASHINGTON — A group of four House Republicans sent a letter to the Biden administration Wednesday protesting a policy to expand access to in vitro fertilization, or IVF, for veterans.

The letter, addressed to Denis McDonough, the secretary of veterans affairs, was signed by Reps. Matt Rosendale of Montana, Mary Miller of Illinois, Josh Brecheen of Oklahoma and Bob Good of Virginia, who said they had "a plethora of ethical concerns and questions" about the policy.

"IVF is morally dubious and should not be subsidized by the American taxpayer. It is well known that IVF treatments result in a surplus of embryos after the best ones are tested and selected. These embryos are then frozen — at significant cost to the parents — abandoned, or cruelly discarded," the lawmakers wrote."

Fun facts about Illinois' own Mary Miller:

• She employed someone who had previously been convicted of attempting to solicit sex from a minor
  • She quoted Hitler positively in a speech two days into her first term
  • She voted against giving medals to the police officers who defended the Capitol on Jan 6
  • Her husband is an Illinois state rep who was at January 6th and has a 3%er decal on his car.

• BillStime changed the title to Trump wants to ban ABORTION, IVF and MIFEPRISTONE nationwide

Republicans need to chill tf out and compromise on a 15 week abortion ban with rational exceptions after that time period.

Most women support a timeframe around that area and it’s what is typically the law in most of Europe.  

Abortion and J6 is really all it seems like Dems are currently running on.  At the Presidential level, Trump coming out at 15 weeks .. especially if he has someone like Tulsi Gabbard as VP .. takes that issue off the table in a lot of areas. 

That doesn’t mean pro-lifers stop trying to win the battle on the merits .. but legality based off when a baby feels pain is something most of us should be able to agree on. 

Edited by SCBills