This might be the perfect WR class for the Bills to draft one in the mid rounds

30 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'd initially want to argue that the Bills depth chart is the reason drafting two WRs could be counterproductive:

Diggs

Davis

Shakir

Harty

Sherfield

Either one of those 5 is bumped off the roster, or one of the two drafted WRs is going to be a gameday inactive or practice squad poach candidate. 

Then again, the more I look at this, the more I disagree with my own initial reaction. Sure feels like Davis is a goner after this season, and it's probably smart to prepare for a post-Diggs future. Sherfield only signed for one year. Therefore, they should add at least one compelling WR prospect to the pipeline. 

Good point.  It depends on how their board falls as I'm guessing they take BPA regardless of position (besides QB, K, P) after day two.  We do also have Patmon, Johnson, and Coulter (all day three picks) signed who will serve as camp bodies at minimum.

Edited by Doc Brown

On 4/15/2023 at 7:37 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

That's the same kind of logic that lead the Chiefs to draft Clyde Edwards Helaire in round 1.

Reaching for need at a non-premium position........which slot-WR-only is......is a recipe for draft disappointment.

I know that some people don't get this concept and think the slot receiver has to be a small target smurf with quicks..........but if you run a lot of 11 personnel you want 3 WR's who can play outside at a high level and ALSO in the slot.   Like the aforementioned Bengals.  

Forget peak Beasley.........he was just barely good enough at his best for what the Bills SHOULD give Allen in the slot.    Gotta' raise the bar.

U wouldn’t be saying this if the Chiefs took Jonathan Taylor instead of CEH? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

U wouldn’t be saying this if the Chiefs took Jonathan Taylor instead of CEH? 

Yeah, I would have.   RB's are just dumb selections in round 1.    Taking the ball out of the hand of a QB who is producing nearly 8 yards per pass attempt.......even for a guy like Taylor who had two years of 5+ yards per rush.........is just terrible math and it's hard to justify NOT doing that when you use such a valuable chip on a RB.    Of course Taylor fell down below Devin Singletary in terms of ypr last year so he's not the "but what about THIS great RB" example du jour anymore.   So much for the "get 5 great years and let him walk" formula.  😂 

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah, I would have.   RB's are just dumb selections in round 1.    Taking the ball out of the hand of a QB who is producing nearly 8 yards per pass attempt.......even for a guy like Taylor who had two years of 5+ yards per rush.........is just terrible math and it's hard to justify NOT doing that when you use such a valuable chip on a RB.    Of course Taylor fell down below Devin Singletary in terms of ypr last year so he's not the "but what about THIS great RB" example du jour anymore.   So much for the "get 5 great years and let him walk" formula.  😂 

Not all YPC are the same one guy plays with Josh Allen the other playing with Ryan, Ehlinger & Foles. Give Taylor those 6 man fronts and there’s gonna be trouble for the D. Btw your philosophy of taking the ball out the hands of the QB is flawed . When u have a balance u get more plays to run there’s more then enough plays in a game for both Mahomes and Taylor to both flourish. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Not all YPC are the same one guy plays with Josh Allen the other playing with Ryan, Ehlinger & Foles. Give Taylor those 6 man fronts and there’s gonna be trouble for the D. Btw your philosophy of taking the ball out the hands of the QB is flawed . When u have a balance u get more plays to run there’s more then enough plays in a game for both Mahomes and Taylor to both flourish. 

My philosophy is not flawed at all........it's entirely consistent with the last 10 SB winners.   All lead in rushing by nobodies who little was invested in.   That's reality.

The problem with making a regular habit out of feeding a stud RB is that in the playoffs EVERYBODY plays run defense.  So then those carries that were successful in the regular season become forced and less effective.    It's why Drew Brees and Alvin Kamara could never get to the SB despite getting home field advantage multiple times.  The idea of balance looks good in your minds eye but ultimately if you have stud QB's in your bracket you need to be prepared to throw the ball every down in the playoffs.    And you practice like you play........and the regular season is that practice.    If you are a team that needs balance to succeed.......that balance will be taken away from you.    If you can throw the ball every down you are indefensible in todays NFL.    

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The class lacks any alpha studs at the WR position but that doesn't necessarily mean that the class is bad, as many have said. It's actually quite deep and I expect that some good wideouts will come out of this draft. A guy like Mims, who has been projected in the 3rd is pretty much very close in terms of value to the guys who are touted for the 1st. To me Mims is way more desirable than a guy like Hyatt. If you insist on a big body then maybe Tillman would be a good get in the 3rd. If players like that drop out of the 3rd you should jump on them. And there are a number of interesting projects who will go backend of the draft or undrafted. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My philosophy is not flawed at all........it's entirely consistent with the last 10 SB winners.   All lead in rushing by nobodies who little was invested in.   That's reality.

The problem with making a regular habit out of feeding a stud RB is that in the playoffs EVERYBODY plays run defense.  So then those carries that were successful in the regular season become forced and less effective.    It's why Drew Brees and Alvin Kamara could never get to the SB despite getting home field advantage multiple times.  The idea of balance looks good in your minds eye but ultimately if you have stud QB's in your bracket you need to be prepared to throw the ball every down in the playoffs.    And you practice like you play........and the regular season is that practice.    If you are a team that needs balance to succeed.......that balance will be taken away from you.    If you can throw the ball every down you are indefensible in todays NFL.    

Not true whatsoever being one deminsional is not the way to go teams take away what u do best in the playoffs and sometimes u got to turn to other schemes to win. Mahomes threw for 175yds in the Super Bowl it was there running game that won the Chiefs the game. 

Yes there last 10 Super Bowl winners didn’t invest a ton in the Running back position but that doesn’t mean they didn’t use there backs Lenny had a huge performance vs the Chiefs. James White had 14 receptions vs the Falcons .Blount pounded teams in the playoffs Ray Rice was huge for The Ravens , Marshawn Lynch was the engine that ran that Seahawks teams that were dominating for a few yrs. 

I’m in the belief that u need Superstars to win the Super Bowl and other then QB and Oline  it doesn’t really matter where they play . The Chiefs have been winning with a superstar Wr, TE a Safety and DT the Pats had the TE , CB , LBers . At the end of the day if the Bills have a chance to take Bijan at #27 rather then a 2nd rd talent u do it and don’t look back. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Not true whatsoever being one deminsional is not the way to go teams take away what u do best in the playoffs and sometimes u got to turn to other schemes to win. Mahomes threw for 175yds in the Super Bowl it was there running game that won the Chiefs the game. 

Yes there last 10 Super Bowl winners didn’t invest a ton in the Running back position but that doesn’t mean they didn’t use there backs Lenny had a huge performance vs the Chiefs. James White had 14 receptions vs the Falcons .Blount pounded teams in the playoffs Ray Rice was huge for The Ravens , Marshawn Lynch was the engine that ran that Seahawks teams that were dominating for a few yrs. 

I’m in the belief that u need Superstars to win the Super Bowl and other then QB and Oline  it doesn’t really matter where they play . The Chiefs have been winning with a superstar Wr, TE a Safety and DT the Pats had the TE , CB , LBers . At the end of the day if the Bills have a chance to take Bijan at #27 rather then a 2nd rd talent u do it and don’t look back. 

Again.......follow the history.     It's not a coincidence that the teams that win SB's aren't relying on consistently excellent RB talent.    Do unsung players find huge opportunities in SB's?    At all positions.  But you don't need Saquon Barkley for 20 games to have a guy who can get 6 yards per carry against a light box in a random playoff game.     And you don't draft a RB in round 1 and give him 9 carries per game.   It's more like 19-20 touches per game required for that RB.   It's an investment in an identity and style of football that ONCE AGAIN just fell on it's face in the SB.

The story wasn't just Mahomes only throwing for 180 yards in a dominant, score-every-possession of the second half performance...........it was the Eagles league-best-balanced offense stable of running backs only rushing for a pathetic 45 yards on 17 carries.    The pressure applied by Mahomes.......in real time and based on past history...........turned the game into asking Jalen Hurts to make every play........and that wasn't how they played all season.    They predictably lost.

I absolutely love watching Bijan Robinson run the ball.   It's a thing of beauty.   Reminds me as much of Thurman Thomas as any RB I've seen since.    But since the rules were changed to reward teams that pass the ball to receivers who average 10-15 yards per reception every play........having an individual RB who required 1/4 or more of the touches every season has been a recipe for ending your season with an L.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again.......follow the history.     It's not a coincidence that the teams that win SB's aren't relying on consistently excellent RB talent.    Do unsung players find huge opportunities in SB's?    At all positions.  But you don't need Saquon Barkley for 20 games to have a guy who can get 6 yards per carry against a light box in a random playoff game.     And you don't draft a RB in round 1 and give him 9 carries per game.   It's more like 19-20 touches per game required for that RB.   It's an investment in an identity and style of football that ONCE AGAIN just fell on it's face in the SB.

The story wasn't just Mahomes only throwing for 180 yards in a dominant, score-every-possession of the second half performance...........it was the Eagles league-best-balanced offense stable of running backs only rushing for a pathetic 45 yards on 17 carries.    The pressure applied by Mahomes.......in real time and based on past history...........turned the game into asking Jalen Hurts to make every play........and that wasn't how they played all season.    They predictably lost.

I absolutely love watching Bijan Robinson run the ball.   It's a thing of beauty.   Reminds me as much of Thurman Thomas as any RB I've seen since.    But since the rules were changed to reward teams that pass the ball to receivers who average 10-15 yards per reception every play........having an individual RB who required 1/4 or more of the touches every season has been a recipe for ending your season with an L.  

I agree with u in that if we take a back at premium spot it can’t be for 9 touches a week that’s for sure but i truly believe there’s room for 18-20 touches without giving up the identity as a pass first team. 

If we had a amazing running back to complement our amazing QB do u realize the pressure we put on defenses? And when it comes to the touches there’s going to be more opportunities for passing and running because when your unstoppable your going to be running more plays per game and this is something nobody really talks about. The Bills have averaged nearly 70 plays on offense per game over the last 3 seasons that’s more then enough to give the ball to the running backs 25/30 times and still have 40+ plays for our QB to inflict damage on the competition. 

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That running identity that Philly has did not let them down in the Super Bowl it actually opened up massive opportunities in the passing game for the Eagles. The Chiefs keyed on that running game leaving them open to getting beat deep and Hurts and company took advantage of that. That game came down to a bad call who knows what would’ve happened if the Refs didn’t get involved. 

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree with u in that if we take a back at premium spot it can’t be for 9 touches a week that’s for sure but i truly believe there’s room for 18-20 touches without giving up the identity as a pass first team. 

If we had a amazing running back to complement our amazing QB do u realize the pressure we put on defenses? And when it comes to the touches there’s going to be more opportunities for passing and running because when your unstoppable your going to be running more plays per game and this is something nobody really talks about. The Bills have averaged nearly 70 plays on offense per game over the last 3 seasons that’s more then enough to give the ball to the running backs 25/30 times and still have 40+ plays for our QB to inflict damage on the competition. 

I realize.......better yet I KNOW.........that teams want you to take the ball out of the hands of Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen and hand it to even the best RB in the league instead.   Every time.  

A top QB averages about 8 yards per pass attempt..........a top RB averages around 4.5-5.5 per rush attempt.    A good slot receiver averages 11-13 yards per reception..........elite receiving RB's like McCaffrey or Kamara are around 8-9.  

They aren't even coming out of their base 4-2-5 if you are willing to take less yards per play.    They will just run in another set of defensive lineman and dare you to keep doing it.  

Maybe in the process you will make a mistake dinking your way down the field......get TFL'd or get a holding penalty........and/or QB will get out of rhythm and you will turn the ball over or punt.    Teams don't just stop focusing on your elite QB to stop your running game.    It's not 1992 anymore schematically OR in terms of offensive line execution.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

That running identity that Philly has did not let them down in the Super Bowl it actually opened up massive opportunities in the passing game for the Eagles. The Chiefs keyed on that running game leaving them open to getting beat deep and Hurts and company took advantage of that. That game came down to a bad call who knows what would’ve happened if the Refs didn’t get involved. 

The Eagles were the much superior roster in every regard except QB and TE.    In 1992 that's a blowout win for the Eagles.   But Hurts was outperformed by Mahomes by a significant margin playing 2022 football.   You are confusing the counting stats that Hurts put up in 36 minutes of possession with efficiency.    They challenged him to be a QB and he probably did the very best that he could but 11 passes ended up on the turf and he gifted the Chiefs a TD with a fumble trying to do too much.   They made a non-elite passer try to beat them and he wasn't quite up to the task.      

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I realize.......better yet I KNOW.........that teams want you to take the ball out of the hands of Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen and hand it to even the best RB in the league instead.   Every time.  

A top QB averages about 8 yards per pass attempt..........a top RB averages around 4.5-5.5 per rush attempt.    A good slot receiver averages 11-13 yards per reception..........elite receiving RB's like McCaffrey or Kamara are around 8-9.  

They aren't even coming out of their base 4-2-5 if you are willing to take less yards per play.    They will just run in another set of defensive lineman and dare you to keep doing it.  

Maybe in the process you will make a mistake dinking your way down the field......get TFL'd or get a holding penalty........and/or QB will get out of rhythm and you will turn the ball over or punt.    Teams don't just stop focusing on your elite QB to stop your running game.    It's not 1992 anymore schematically OR in terms of offensive line execution.

No matter what u say a QB can not throw the ball 50+ times a game for a whole season so therefore there are about 20/25 plays were the running back will get the ball . I rather not waste those plays with a average to below average back I rather give it to someone that’s gonna command attention and make the defense pay. No matter what defenses will keep playing the Bills pretty much the same with light boxes if they want to go heavy then Allen and co will eat them alive. It’s a pick your poison predicament that we haven’t seen in this offense yet and I believe it’s what can get us over the hump in the playoffs. NTM we play in Buffalo we just witnessed this team not be able to handle there environment that they play in . Other then the poor gameplan we had vs Cinny I believe the weather beat us more then the Bengals did. The Bengals took our souls from us by pounding us into the ground in that game with Mixon that’s exactly what we are missing and that’s exactly what we need to get. 

• Disagree 2

On 4/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, starrymessenger said:

The class lacks any alpha studs at the WR position but that doesn't necessarily mean that the class is bad, as many have said. It's actually quite deep and I expect that some good wideouts will come out of this draft. A guy like Mims, who has been projected in the 3rd is pretty much very close in terms of value to the guys who are touted for the 1st. To me Mims is way more desirable than a guy like Hyatt. If you insist on a big body then maybe Tillman would be a good get in the 3rd. If players like that drop out of the 3rd you should jump on them. And there are a number of interesting projects who will go backend of the draft or undrafted. 

I'd absolutely love Mims, Tillman or Mingo in the 3rd but I have a sneaky suspicion we'll be using 91 on Dhop.  

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd absolutely love Mims, Tillman or Mingo in the 3rd but I have a sneaky suspicion we'll be using 91 on Dhop.  

Could be. I see the Bills as a good fit and landing spot for DHop. I think there's a good chance it happens. Better here than in KC where he immediately becomes their #1. I would anticipate great chemistry with PM. Don't know whether it's a smokescreen but I believe KC has said they are not in the running. 
If I thought we could land Mims in the third, I would take him in preference to Addison, who I also like, and use the first two picks elsewhere than WR. In terms of value I don't see these two as far apart, not that they are by any means the same player. Mims is already bigger/taller and the thinking is that he can easily add 10-15 pounds without losing speed or quickness, so circa 195 lbs at 5'10 +. Thats maybe not an X but not out of line for a pro Z receiver. Mims is fast (4.38), faster than Addison. He's also a dawg as far as competitiveness is concerned. A football player. Addison is properly graded ahead of Mims because he's very good - is a much better and more refined route runner and more likely to add impact sooner. Mims, Tillman, Mingo - they all have very promising traits but they need to be coached up. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.