Given the 3 year rule. Analyzing the Bills 2020 draft..

JerseyBills

23 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Rd 1. Stefon Diggs - A+ no explanation needed. Elite #1 WR who now has 2 all pros as a Bill

Rd 2. AJ Epenesa- C- . maybe less. For the 54th pick in the draft he has proven to be a JAG and has limited impact on a consistent basis 

RD 3. Zack Moss - F.  not on the team anymore and was unimpressive since day 1

Rd 4. Gabe Davis - B- . For a day 3 pick he has contributed nicely.  He def isn't the answer as an every down WR but is still a legit threat and nice piece to have. Good value

Rd 5. Jake Fromm - F. Complete waste of a pick. Total bust

Rd 6. Tyler Bass - A . One of the best kickers in the game.  Great pick

Rd 6. Isaiah Hodgins - D- . At least for us he was as he was never given the chance to touch the field.  Kinda like the Wyatt Teller pick. Kid has been balling for another team. 

Rd 7. Dane Jackson- A . For a 7th rder he has been exceptional in the #2 CB role and even #1 role for part of this year. Great value. Great pick.

Overall a solid draft. Probably a B  overall , 6 of 8 picks were offensive in this draft counting Bass. We got 4 starters out of it, including Gabe, which likely changes. But nonetheless very solid. 

But the AJ and Moss picks were huge misses on day 2 and stick out the most. If we hit on 1 or both of them this would've been a great draft class

How would yall rank this draft?

based on this......they should have traded away some of  the other picks for sure things

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

based on this......they should have traded away some of  the other picks for sure things

Ya I was thinking that this year. Only issue is you gotta pay them guys. A team isn't going to let a legit talent walk on a rookie deal

23 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Rd 1. Stefon Diggs - A+ no explanation needed. Elite #1 WR who now has 2 all pros as a Bill

Rd 2. AJ Epenesa- C- . maybe less. For the 54th pick in the draft he has proven to be a JAG and has limited impact on a consistent basis 

RD 3. Zack Moss - F.  not on the team anymore and was unimpressive since day 1

Rd 4. Gabe Davis - B- . For a day 3 pick he has contributed nicely.  He def isn't the answer as an every down WR but is still a legit threat and nice piece to have. Good value

Rd 5. Jake Fromm - F. Complete waste of a pick. Total bust

Rd 6. Tyler Bass - A . One of the best kickers in the game.  Great pick

Rd 6. Isaiah Hodgins - D- . At least for us he was as he was never given the chance to touch the field.  Kinda like the Wyatt Teller pick. Kid has been balling for another team. 

Rd 7. Dane Jackson- A . For a 7th rder he has been exceptional in the #2 CB role and even #1 role for part of this year. Great value. Great pick.

Overall a solid draft. Probably a B  overall , 6 of 8 picks were offensive in this draft counting Bass. We got 4 starters out of it, including Gabe, which likely changes. But nonetheless very solid. 

But the AJ and Moss picks were huge misses on day 2 and stick out the most. If we hit on 1 or both of them this would've been a great draft class

How would yall rank this draft?

You're really under-rating Hodgins. A starter in the sixth? That's a D in absolutely no way. Probably A- / A.

Davis too. A 4th rounder who tied for 15th in TDs and ended up 33rd in yards? That's a B+ / A-.

Fromm an F? Huh? He's a 5th rounder and he's still in the league. Nobody should pretend it was a good pick, but not an F either.

The rest seem pretty reasonable.

21 hours ago, Airseven said:

There is no three year rule. Several rookies need to play, and have a reasonable impact, every season.

There certainly is a three year rule. That you don't appear to like it is far beside the point.

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're really under-rating Hodgins. A starter in the sixth? That's a D in absolutely no way. Probably A- / A.

Davis too. A 4th rounder who tied for 15th in TDs and ended up 33rd in yards? That's a B+ / A-.

Fromm an F? Huh? He's a 5th rounder and he's still in the league. Nobody should pretend it was a good pick, but not an F either.

The rest seem pretty reasonable.

There certainly is a three year rule. That you don't appear to like it is far beside the point.

That's a reasonable take. Hodgins I was grading based on his time here and it took a bunch of injuries for Dabol to grab him up. It didn't happen early or anything and 31 other teams passed on Hodgins for the majority of the year, so I don't blame our talent evaluation that bad as many have. 

Didn't know fromm was still in the league but regardless it was a wasted pick. 

Edited by JerseyBills

by our standards this was a great draft.

while jj at the pick is a better value than diggs for the pic due to age and contract cost, there were 6 wrs taken before or just after the 22nd pick in 2020.  lamb is nice, but not as good as diggs, and the rest are not even close, ruggs is out the league!.

honestly i agree  w the takes that hodkins was a good pick, not beans fault that mccoach ditched him.

if we did this like every year, traded a pick for a sure fire guy and drafted with that ~ level of success, we'd be in a much much better place.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:20 AM, mushypeaches said:

I think it's a little harsh to give the Moss pick an F

He did play for the team for 2.5 years

The rest of it is pretty spot on, and overall it's a B, given that the 2nd & 3rd round picks won't be getting second contracts

C- Jefferson is cheaper adds value else where and has balled out with Kirk Cousins. While Moss is a miss/or another pick given up on. The fact he let Hogkins go wasted a pick on Fromm. N Dane Jackson is not a viable CB #2 n gets exploited. Hence Elam

Factoring out Diggs as I am not sure you can include that as a primary pick, the Bills draft is decent a C. AJ came on a bit this season but has underperformed thus far not a bust but not meeting the value of the pick. Moss was a bust as was Fromm. Bass was a huge hit and Dane and Gabe were nice mid to late round finds.

If AJ can round into a consistent starting DE and Gabe and Dane Polish up their games things will be looking up for the draft.

To those saying you can’t count Diggs because he wasn’t a draft pick: I disagree - we spent draft capital on a veteran WR and it was a calculated risk to go that route and pay a larger contract vs risking for a rookie who may/may not be equivalent. Again, no guarantee JJ was going to be there for us has we held still, and Diggs veteran presence was also worth more to Josh than a rookie who was going to have to learn on the fly. 

That being said, here’s my grading:

Diggs : Said it all above. A+ move getting a known star in Stef. Draft capital was appropriate for the player, and he’s been one of the best in the league since getting here. 

AJE : C- / D+ : it’s not that he is bad, but he was drafted too early for the amount we use him. I personally err more on the C- camp, but the argument can be made. It also seemed like the team immediately thought they needed more help at the D-line and sought to upgrade the next draft. Maybe it was his size and he couldn’t add appropriately, but regardless this pick was a miss.

Moss : C- : his first year pre-injury he appeared to be as good/better than Singletary. He got hurt in the playoffs (ironically vs the Colts). He had 481 / 4td rushing, and 14 catches for 95 yards and another TD year one as a backup. Decent numbers for a #2. I don’t think he came back the same post-injury, and I don’t think a backup RB should be your pick in the 3rd round. If he was drafted to take over for Singletary as the starter, it’s an even worse pick. 

Davis : B+. He’s been a great 4th round pick for us, and that can’t be understated. I know he had drop issues this year, but his first two he was fantastic, especially in the post-season. He was making ridiculous sideline catches in 2020. 2021 was the clinic vs KC. 2022 he was a vital piece vs Miami. He was 15th in TD’s this year, and his yards were still 836 (granted, 98 came on one play). That’s low #2 / high #3 numbers. Getting that production in the 4th is a great find. Let’s not use this one year (his first as #2 and first with Dorsey) to crucify him. He needs to be better, but he is not terrible by any metric for when he was drafted.

Fromm : D. I like taking a later flyer on a decent QB. Fromm just wasn’t that guy. I think if we wanted a QB we should have waited but you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take I guess.

Bass : A+. He’s easily a top-10 kicker, well worth the draft capital in the 6th, and minus his first 2 games (when everyone was panicking) he has been solid. Makes nearly every kick he’s supposed to, and when he misses it’s rare and usually understandable why he didn’t. Stud. 

Hodgins : C-. This is harder to be fair on because he was hurt all of year one, year 2 we were loaded at WR and couldn’t fairly evaluate him, and year 3 we mismanaged that situation and he wound up signing with Daboll and the Giants who were all but depleted at the position and needed someone familiar with the system. He wound up taking advantage of his opportunity and has at least some role over there. I would say he was a good pick in the 6th if we had a real opportunity to test him, but it is what it is.

Jackson : B+A player in the 7th making significant contributions to the team, especially after our best player went down in 2021 is significant. He is a great contributor to the team and had zero expectations to even make the team at his pick. I’d push it and say he is A- given how he has done with all that was asked of him, but I’d reserve that for if he was a game-changer. He’s very good, especially for a 7th round guy.

Overall I’d say the draft is a B… MAYBE B+ at most. Significant starters still on the team, but the day 2 picks were not strong enough contributors to make this an amazing draft. It’s good, maybe very good, but that’s the truth of the matter.

Edited by KingBoots8

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.