Some thoughts…

RobbRiddicksTDLeap

Before today, I’m not sure how many times I’ve heard the term “Arm Arrogance”. I’m confused by how quickly it’s spread, and why we (as fans of the most arrogantly armed QB in the NFL), see this as a bad thing. Chiefs fans don’t see it that way with Mahomes. They love it, and so should we. And Mahomes makes a lot of mistakes with the ball. Let’s not kid ourselves into thinking we have a “bad QB”. Josh Allen is the best QB that any of us have ever watched play for our team. I’ve been telling my son (9) how lucky he is to be a fan of the Bills right now. And it’s because of Josh Allen. When these “bad traits” lose a playoff or Super Bowl, maybe we have a different conversation. Until then, I’m not entertaining it at all.

This Defense is awesome. The score is not at all a reflection of how the defense played. Quite the opposite in fact. They silenced that offense. And after watching last night, I think they do the same thing to the Bengals. 

After listening to Coach McDermott’s post game, his answer on Elam got me thinking. I’ve been screaming for Elam. Dane Jackson has done an admirable job, but Elam is athletically superior. He was all over Hill yesterday, not bad for a rookie. I get the impression that Coach uses the rookie phase in process as a way testing them. It sounds like Elam has answered the challenge the right way, and I hope that it results in a start for him against the Bengals. 

Stefon Diggs is a delight. I love his energy. I know the between the elbow injury to Allen, the need to commit to the run game, and the lack of production from anyone else, he seems to have disappeared the second half of the season. But the past two games he has been on fire. I’m hoping this week, we see what a full game of production gets him. 

I love this team. I’m a total homer. I’ll defend this current iteration until they kill me.

Im not a fan of a Monday Night Playoff game. Sort of feels like screaming “*****” at 4am.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

If Allen wins a Super Bowl, all that crap goes out the window and his aggressiveness will be loved and glorified like Favre's was when he played. 

Allen is winning a lot of respect but the seed of the disrespect he received when he came out of Wyoming still insidiously present with some section of fans and media. Mahomes on the other hand always gets the benefit of the doubt. 

Again, just win the Super Bowl and all the haters will quiet down for years. And fingers crossed a few long-time posters/downers on this board finally stop pretending to be fans of a team that is no longer a "loser". 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Before today, I’m not sure how many times I’ve heard the term “Arm Arrogance”. I’m confused by how quickly it’s spread, and why we (as fans of the most arrogantly armed QB in the NFL), see this as a bad thing. Chiefs fans don’t see it that way with Mahomes. They love it, and so should we. And Mahomes makes a lot of mistakes with the ball. Let’s not kid ourselves into thinking we have a “bad QB”. Josh Allen is the best QB that any of us have ever watched play for our team. I’ve been telling my son (9) how lucky he is to be a fan of the Bills right now. And it’s because of Josh Allen. When these “bad traits” lose a playoff or Super Bowl, maybe we have a different conversation. Until then, I’m not entertaining it at all.

This Defense is awesome. The score is not at all a reflection of how the defense played. Quite the opposite in fact. They silenced that offense. And after watching last night, I think they do the same thing to the Bengals. 

After listening to Coach McDermott’s post game, his answer on Elam got me thinking. I’ve been screaming for Elam. Dane Jackson has done an admirable job, but Elam is athletically superior. He was all over Hill yesterday, not bad for a rookie. I get the impression that Coach uses the rookie phase in process as a way testing them. It sounds like Elam has answered the challenge the right way, and I hope that it results in a start for him against the Bengals. 

Stefon Diggs is a delight. I love his energy. I know the between the elbow injury to Allen, the need to commit to the run game, and the lack of production from anyone else, he seems to have disappeared the second half of the season. But the past two games he has been on fire. I’m hoping this week, we see what a full game of production gets him. 

I love this team. I’m a total homer. I’ll defend this current iteration until they kill me.

Im not a fan of a Monday Night Playoff game. Sort of feels like screaming “*****” at 4am.  

Just so you know, I only put "Arm Arrogance" in my Allen Bashers posts as a joke, because it's a truly ridiculous term......

"Arm arrogance" has been used for years to analyze/criticize Allen's tendencies. 

This year we've been seeing a more reasonable long term projection for Allen: aggressive, productive at a top-5 NFL level, but also prone to over-aggressiveness and turnovers. He has regressed to the mean, if in fact his mean is pretty awesome. 

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

"Arm arrogance" has been used for years to analyze/criticize Allen's tendencies. 

This year we've been seeing a more reasonable long term projection for Allen: aggressive, productive at a top-5 NFL level, but also prone to over-aggressiveness and turnovers. He has regressed to the mean, if in fact his mean is pretty awesome. 

Project him next year after Beane goes all in on the Oline this offseason. 

Allen is aggressive, but he does what he has to do because of his supporting cast. 

• Like (+1) 1

Arm arrogance is a a stupid term. To me it just means the QB has elite talent but takes chances with the ball. 

Allen has been reckless with the ball all year. Much more than last year. When he takes care of the football we are nearly unstoppable. 

As for Mahimmes he has only two less INT but 1000 more yards. 

I just hope one of these next two games we get the Andy Reid choke job of the past.

21 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Project him next year after Beane goes all in on the Oline this offseason. 

Allen is aggressive, but he does what he has to do because of his supporting cast. 

Well for sure a better oline would help any QB. That's not up for debate. But I would debate whether current offensive line talent deficiencies has much to do with Allen's downfield eyes. If anything, with better linemen he'd have MORE time to keep looking deep. 

If his current oline supporting cast is substandard, as most here attest, then shouldn't Allen be reading short-to-deep on pressure downs? Shouldn't he be seeking quick solutions to pressure problems? (I DEFINITELY understand that 9-routes ARE in fact potential solutions to pressure packages including Cover-1 and Cover-0 blitzes. But I also understand that there are higher percentage short and intermediate outlets for such reps.)

10 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I would also add that I noticed how quickly everyone wants to point back to Daboll who "controlled" Josh better.  Everyone on this board and media complained how much Josh was running under Daboll.  Daboll goes to Giants and does the exact same thing with Jones and everyone acknowledges greatness and questions Dorsey offense.  Can't have it both ways.  

You know, if we make the Super Bowl, it will remind me a lot of Flacco and the Ravens. I remember Flacco being a turnover machine during the regular season that year, but once the playoffs started he could not be stopped. And at least, for ONE off-season, some considered him to be one of the league’s best QBs. Go figure.

As for Allen, I have to say, aside from the fumble, the interceptions were not Allen’s fault; he actually had a really good day, especially throwing the ball, and I don’t need to remind about the 2 drops that were reversed by replay which also was not on him. But my point is, I still feel like Allen WAS in playoff mode yesterday. It’s a shame that 2 interceptions that were not on him will blemish his career playoff stats though :(

Edited by BobBelcher

With Mahomes - he does this backyard basketball crap and is praised for it

no look passes - heck throws terrible picks - yet he’s “Mahomes” so it’s alright.

5 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

You know, if we make the Super Bowl, it will remind me a lot of Flacco and the Ravens. I remember Flacco being a turnover machine during the regular season that year, but once the playoffs started he could not be stopped. And at least, for ONE off-season, some considered him to be one of the league’s best QBs. Go figure.

As for Allen, I have to say, aside from the fumble, the interceptions were not Allen’s fault; he actually had a really good day, especially throwing the ball, and I don’t need to remind about the 2 drops that were reversed by replay which also was not on him. But my point is, I still feel like Allen WAS in playoff mode yesterday. It’s a shame that 2 interceptions that were not on him will blemish his career playoff stats though :(

Agree on the Beasley one

maybe shouldn’t have thrown it all together - but I’d be suspecting he through the guy was all over him and would get a hold there - which he should have at least gotten

brown ran the wrong route but Josh just shouldn’t have thrown that imo 

wasn’t ready to throw it and it showed 

I really think it is a fine line of Josh sometimes trying to do too much.   You want to reign that in when bad things happen but you also don't want to prevent the amazing plays he makes.   But you dont know if he will make an incredible play or a negative play.  For me, there is an element of knowing down/distance/situation Josh needs to take into account.  There are times you just take a negative play, for instance take a sack or throw the ball away instead of trying to fight out of the tackle of a CB and fumbling/making it a total disaster.  It's not fun or sexy but punting is ok sometimes.

The Bills have come a long way this season. The Bills are a well seasoned, and mature team at this point in Josh's journey. They seem to enjoy the in game chaos. They never panic. I'm not worried in the least. The Bills have this. Who knows what Bills team will show up? Which ever one does, I like our chances this Sunday.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have zero problems with Josh....zero. I just wish they would incorporate hitting those check downs once in a while. As a lay person watching the game on TV, it's not uncommon to see a back wide open on the top of the screen only to see Josh ignore it until it's too late.

I would like to see a mix of those quick hits and YAC. He's gotta pull the trigger on those once in a while instead of waiting to get in trouble. ....especially when we're in FG range. Dicking around and taking sacks to back us up will kill us...as well as going for a 4th and short when we could have 3 points in the bag.

I love the guy, but sometimes moving the chains is more important than trying to squeeze 5 seconds or more of pass pro out of this Oline.

Edited by nosejob

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.