Tyler Bass is the Bills' best pick of the 2020 draft

Inigo Montoya

12 minutes ago, Success said:

Bass has really come through.  Great pick.

Watching Hodgins w/ the Giants, I think that's one that got away.  He was great in the preseason here. Obviously, our coaches saw more in the WR's we kept on the active roster, and they know more than me, but it's hard to see what they were seeing on that one.

He was never great in preseason.  I would have kept him over Kumerow but that is the only guy he would have ever taken reps from.  No way was he making the roster over Crowder who beat out McKenzie for the starting slot spot.  He's 77th in YPC at 10.6 YPC which is more like a TE stats not an outside WR.

• Like (+1) 1

What this shows is that assembling an NFL roster has to be one of the most difficult jobs in the world. Looking at that Draft Class you’d certainly never think that’s a #1 seeded team. (In fact, I can recall many drought era drafts where getting a halfway decent kicker would’ve been considered a steal.)

But….you hit on Josh Allen and it nullifies pretty much everything else. 

It is a very solid draft overall. Bass is a ST gem, Davis is a solid WR2 even if he in year 3 hasn’t blossomed into the Pro Bowl player we had hoped he still in 14 games (with a few games playing really hurt) close to 800 yards and 7 TD’s. Given his age I think he develops more in year 4.

AJE has 6.5 sacks this season and is developing into a pretty effective DE certainly will be a high end rotational DE or better in his career. Dane Jackson is a solid CB, good depth and a nice dime back too.

That draft produced 4 really productive players along with a nice UDFA find in Gilliam. It is not a home run draft yet (certainly a nice double) but if Davis and AJE take another step up it certainly could be.

2 minutes ago, Offside Number 76 said:

Some serious undervaluing of AJ going on in here, IMO.  No, he's not Bruce Smith, but his play above replacement level is greater than Bass's play above replacement level.  (And I like Bass, don't get me wrong.)

AJ has had 3 maybe 4 good games in his entire career.  He rightfully is last man off the bench now.  Lawson is outplaying him by far.  I will say he had a decent game against the Bears after another non-existent game the week before.  Is he better than Basham?  Maybe but that is a really low bar. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Ranking.

1)Bass (Will probably outlast everyone)

2)Davis (Will leave in FA)

3)Gilliam (already signed extension)

4)Jackson (Will not get to 2nd contract)

5)Epenesa (Will not get to 2nd contract)

6)Moss  (not on Bills)

7)Hodgins (might turn out better, but not for the Bills)

8)Fromm (not on Bills)

on Davis…it depends on the contract.  Hr jets thr UFA market hr might get a big pay day but he might not.

Epenesa…..same boat. What sort of 2nd contract is it.

Bass was a great draft selection, but man, what a lousy draft class! 

Our drafting is the only blemish you can find on Beane's resume.

Not that it's all been terrible.

PS:  I remember the missed kicks very early in his career too!  But it didn't last long and he did very quickly settle in.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.