OC Dorsey no regard for clock Management

jahbonas

15 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I will settle for balanced offense when up late in games, but three and outs passing out of the spread is not that nor is having around 10 carries between your RBs.

Accommodating the elements you are playing in on that particular day is important too. 

I still would contend that killing the clock at the 1:12 mark in a game where you have a 2 score lead is not the right strategy regardless of how much the game has evolved.

Everything else you said I agree with emphatically.

And folks are right, if the lay up to Knox worked it is likely no one would have 2nd guessed it.

I've already forgotten - did the Bills actually kill the clock at 1:12?!??  I'm sure I was screaming at the TV if they did.    I agree with you on that.  

I think the thing about Knox and the call, the important thing, is that good teams actually execute that play, make the throw, make the catch, and also stay in bounds.   Or, at least that's what we like to think good teams do.  The reality is that the good teams, the iconic teams, even, fail to execute some of the time.   The problem is that as a fan, I think we tend to remember the positive execution by the Chiefs or the former Pats and we tend to remember the failed executions by the Bills, the Stevie drops in the end zone in overtime.  

If you think about how you remember the Patriots from all those years, I think about how they made plays down the stretch.  But the truth is, every year the Pats lost some games, in upsets, and the defense failed to make stops, or Brady failed on fourth and 14 or something.  We just don't remember those failures. 

I don't know what the Bills overall stats are on late-in-the-game-must-have third down plays, but to be a really good team, your success ratio needs to be going up as you go into the playoffs.  That's what wins games - not killing the clock against the Jets in December, but killing the clock against the Chiefs in January, or making the stop.  The next few weeks will show how tough the Bills really are. 

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

"Alrighty, we're up by 11 with seven minutes to go, time to shut this offense down and hang on for the win! I want HB dive in every GD play from here on out!"

Lol, exactly.... 7 mins and Jets had either 2 or all TO's. You would do then a favor going 3 and out just running unless the RB gets loose for a good gain. That isn't likely though if in obvious situation showing run. Then they have 5 mins and still all TO's left.

20 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

You don’t want to just go in a run run run mode and allow them to just get the ball back. I thought his play calling was fine people are just upset at the knox drop play but that’s ballgame if he caught it 

That specific play call was excellent and timed perfectly. 

wasn’t a great throw, Dropson did what he does and Of course Moseley was all over it anyway, so execution had to be high

14 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Lol, exactly.... 7 mins and Jets had either 2 or all TO's. You would do then a favor going 3 and out just running unless the RB gets loose for a good gain. That isn't likely though if in obvious situation showing run. Then they have 5 mins and still all TO's left.

First, let me say that I agree with you.  During the game, I wanted them to run it, but I now think that's the wrong move.   

However, you're analysis is faulty, because doesn't look at the probabilities of the Jets winning under the two scenarios.  It's why game strategies have changed so much.   Run two plays and let the clock run, and Jets are left with five and a half minutes, all their timeouts and down two scores.   Throw incomplete twice and the Jets have seven minutes and all their time outs.   That may look like it doesn't matter much, because we've seen teams get two scores in five minutes lots of time.  But in fact, the probability of winning having run the clock is much better - that minute and a half is important.   And you also have to calculate the probability of getting the first down by running versus passing.   That's what analytics is about.   They have the data, they know the answers to all that math, and they know the answers when they adjust for how good both teams offenses and defenses are.  

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Thats because he was trying to sustain the drive and run more time off the clock.  Given how the Bills running attack is, I’m fairly certain there’s a better chance the Bills pick up the first down with 1 run and 2 versus passes as opposed to 3 runs.  

To his credit Dorsey has dialed up some good play pass called late in the game that should’ve killed the clock - instead they were dropped by Diggs (MIN) and Knox (NYJ)

Same but wasn’t the ball dropped by Singletary?  Not a hard catch to make

If memory serves me correct that ball went to Knox along the sideline. 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've already forgotten - did the Bills actually kill the clock at 1:12?!??  I'm sure I was screaming at the TV if they did.    I agree with you on that.  

I think the thing about Knox and the call, the important thing, is that good teams actually execute that play, make the throw, make the catch, and also stay in bounds.   Or, at least that's what we like to think good teams do.  The reality is that the good teams, the iconic teams, even, fail to execute some of the time.   The problem is that as a fan, I think we tend to remember the positive execution by the Chiefs or the former Pats and we tend to remember the failed executions by the Bills, the Stevie drops in the end zone in overtime.  

If you think about how you remember the Patriots from all those years, I think about how they made plays down the stretch.  But the truth is, every year the Pats lost some games, in upsets, and the defense failed to make stops, or Brady failed on fourth and 14 or something.  We just don't remember those failures. 

I don't know what the Bills overall stats are on late-in-the-game-must-have third down plays, but to be a really good team, your success ratio needs to be going up as you go into the playoffs.  That's what wins games - not killing the clock against the Jets in December, but killing the clock against the Chiefs in January, or making the stop.  The next few weeks will show how tough the Bills really are. 

Thanks for the, "God hates me" Stevie Johnson memory 😅

My company had just been purchased by another based out of Pittsburgh back then. All I wanted was a win to shut those clowns up for a while, especially since so many knew I was a Bills fan.

We have been REALLY good closing out the 1st half of games if teams give us any time on the clock.

Jury is still out on how well we do imposing our will at the end of games.

We have pulled out some close wins so that is trending in the right direction from earlier in the season where folks could only talk about how we could not win the tight ones.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.