The 2022 November Blizzard in General

T&C

21 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

The lack of general geographic knowledge of NYS continues, this time from CNN…

“Nearly 6 feet of snow has fallen across portions of western New York – numbers considered historic for the area, the National Weather Service said. The town of Natural Bridge, just east of Watertown, has recorded 70.9 inches Saturday morning, which is just shy of 6 feet. Watertown has seen 57.4 inches over the last two days.”

Never once have I known anyone to consider Watertown in Western NY. But most think Westchester County is Upstate.

This isn't something that just affects New York.  The US is a large country ... too large for most people to know the geography of each state unless they have a reason to do so, like they've visited a place or they're from that place etc.  I would say that, though, that if your job involves maps, that you ought to be able to read one well enough to accurately locate places on it.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:44 PM, Just Jack said:

FYI, Buffalo has been relocated according to NBC...

1453804933_BuffaloWatertown.thumb.jpg.152634237cc21eeb08bdb2af4711c427.jpg

Truly sad the how poor how broadcasting standard has gone down hill.

Only worked in printed media (Courier Express is biggest) but editors would have had their ears blistered if they allowed such an error.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

This isn't something that just affects New York.  The US is a large country ... too large for most people to know the geography of each state unless they have a reason to do so, like they've visited a place or they're from that place etc.  I would say that, though, that if your job involves maps, that you ought to be able to read one well enough to accurately locate places on it.

Reminds me on Sonic Commercial geography commercial.   To ME the commercial is telling me be an idiot and eat at Sonic which is a shame since I used to like a number of the items.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/2g3z/sonic-drive-in-steak-butter-bacon-cheeseburger-geography-test

image.png.e9facf203f40d3c0d3340dc59a3a4598.png

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:44 PM, Just Jack said:

FYI, Buffalo has been relocated according to NBC...

1453804933_BuffaloWatertown.thumb.jpg.152634237cc21eeb08bdb2af4711c427.jpg

When Vinny Testaverde was still playing, and one of his games was on MNF, they showed a US map with stars indicating all the teams he's played for. To show that he played for the Jets, they put a mark right smack in the middle of NY State. Al Michaels said, "According to that graphic, Vinny played in Utica."

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The balance is: Acceleration, Steering, Braking.  Most of those vehicles traveling way too fast for conditions... Throws the other two out of whack.

So I'm a gear head who likes driving cars fast at race tracks.  Have always been into cars.  I know some things about vehicle dynamics and the physics of driving.  

Growing up in WNY, I can't tell you how many times I saw a 4 wheel drive vehicle FLYING down the road way too fast for conditions in the winter.  Sure, they have excellent traction and it's easy for them to GO.

The problem is STOPPING, and TURNING, where they have no traction advantage, and those vehicles are usually softly suspended trucks with very high centers of gravity, making them actually much worse to control overall than a normal car.

Used to be a huge pet peeve of mine.  

My favorite are these guys who jack up their pick up truck to ridiculous heights, while doing nothing to modify their drivetrain.  So the weakest link/lowest point of the vehicle REMAINS THE SAME but now the body work sits way up high on the chassis.  So zero advantage for off-road ground clearance duty, while horrid on-road performance with that gigantic CG.  

I guess they do it b/c they think it looks cool.  I just don't understand it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.