Bill #1 in Offensive AND Defensive DVOA, 1st in total D and 2nd in total Offense at bye week

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Really?

ya, more varied attack, better oline, better red zone, seem to force things/protect the ball a touch better.

if we get rb and te and red zone and all that working better, i could see us passing them, and it's pretty close as is.

2 hours ago, colin said:

i think it's fair to say kc has the better O than we do, we just have josh and diggs to perform miracles at times.

on D, i think we really are the best this season tho.  to get what we have gotten done with all the injuries and vz live opposition is a big thing.

on O, blocking could be better, but more fixable in the short term we need to figure out some better red zone stuff, and just be less sloppy w the ball.  a couple small changes there and this really could be an all time team.

Ehh...I'd say they are about equal.  Bills are still significantly ahead of them in terms of yards per game, even with their outburst yesterday, 440.7 to 403.3.  Imagine the difference if the Bills actually had to keep playing the Pittsburgh/Tennessee games because the D wasn't as good.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, colin said:

ya, more varied attack, better oline, better red zone, seem to force things/protect the ball a touch better.

if we get rb and te and red zone and all that working better, i could see us passing them, and it's pretty close as is.

Ok.  I guess that's your opinion and it isn't unreasonable, but I don't think the majority of fans would say the KC offense is "better" than Buffalo's at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Ok.  I guess that's your opinion and it isn't unreasonable, but I don't think the majority of fans would say the KC offense is "better" than Buffalo's at this point.

It's not supported by stats.  KC is capable of some big outbursts in games, but also has more games where they don't put up a lot of yards.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ehh...I'd say they are about equal.  Bills are still significantly ahead of them in terms of yards per game, even with their outburst yesterday, 440.7 to 403.3.  Imagine the difference if the Bills actually had to keep playing the Pittsburgh/Tennessee games because the D wasn't as good.

Ya, i suppose thems the facts, but in the same sense our D was #1 last season, but i really didn't think we had the best d, and it was obvious we lacked some physical power and pass rush up front.  now i am convinced our d is the best (which is why i think we win it all this year) hands down.

to me, the eye test of our o vs other top o's is the degree of difficulty.  our big plays come from way more heroic stuff, which is fun to watch but isn't what the coaches would want.  KC has more just great plays inside of their scheme IMO.  the gap has shrunk for sure, and it's mad close either way, but until our TE and RB positions can make consistent solid contributions for us scoring and in a variety of situations, i worry that if someone really takes diggs away, allen has to run and gun and throw lesser players open all day to get it done.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

It's not supported by stats.  KC is capable of some big outbursts in games, but also has more games where they don't put up a lot of yards.

they did just pass us on the dvoa data as reported in this thread, so some stats support it.

10 minutes ago, eball said:

His best argument is better in the redzone. KC are 2nd and the Bills are currently 15th in TD % on redzone trips. 

But remember we started slow in that regard last year too and ended up leading the league by the season's end. So not too worried so far. I get the sense the Bills are very much one of those teams who a bit like New England always did treat every season as genuinely a new one and sort of find themselves out as they go a bit. The run game last year was an example. The year before remember we started slow on defense and then tweaked a few things on the way the safeties and linebackers were playing, got them coming downhill more and were a top 5 defense again over the last 6 to 8 weeks of that season.

I trust this staff to work the redzone out.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His best argument is better in the redzone. KC are 2nd and the Bills are currently 15th in TD % on redzone trips. 

But remember we started slow in that regard last year too and ended up leading the league by the season's end. So not too worried so far. I get the sense the Bills are very much one of those teams who a bit like New England always did treat every season as genuinely a new one and sort of find themselves out as they go a bit. The run game last year was an example. The year before remember we started slow on defense and then tweaked a few things on the way the safeties and linebackers were playing, got them coming downhill more and were a top 5 defense again over the last 6 to 8 weeks of that season.

I trust this staff to work the redzone out.

Ah yes, who could forget AJ Klein dropping into coverage for the first 5 weeks of 2020 before they figured out he needed to be sent on little blitzes and play closer to the LOS and he ended up having an MVP performance in a big game. 

Anyone notice that the Bills have somehow put together a defense with first rounders Von Miller, Ed Oliver, Tremaine Edmunds, Kaiir Elam, Tre White [when he returns] and Greg Rousseau all starting, and Shaq Lawson in reserve.  Wonder if any other team in the league has 6 first rounders starting on D. The currently injured Xavier Rhodes is also a former first rounder.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.