What Is "Christian Nationalism"?

Tiberius

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

No no, religion in general has been very misogynist, this is true of christianity. You can't admit that

so dumb.  So very I’ll-informed

Do you know how females were treated 1000s of years ago?  Not well.  Christian values greatly improved the plight of women around the world.

geezus

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Alzheimer's would be an advancement.

What's your opinion of this guy? Such a fake 

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/j-r-majewski-s-afghanistan-lies-show-bigger-gop-problem-n1299059

4 minutes ago, OrangeBills said:

so dumb.  So very I’ll-informed

Do you know how females were treated 1000s of years ago?  Not well.  Christian values greatly improved the plight of women around the world.

geezus

Really? In what ways? 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I'm not sure why you are asking me this, and I have no view, but if you have any ounce of integrity you might ask the same of CT. Senator Richard Blumenthal.

A liar exposed.

Either way, we have way more important issues to deal with than lying politicians, which is redundant.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don't make the rules on topic love,  Chef.  I'm just a vessel here. 

I have no interest in arguing the point, have no desire to suggest you follow The/A Word, and to be completely honest, struggle at times with issues of faith (mine, not anyone else's).   I do think it's a lazy argument that those who found comfort in faith, lived lives of faith, or followed the basic tenets of faith are overshadowed by the 'horrible things' done.  I won't argue that many, many, many  horrible things were done in the name of faith, but I'd argue whether many/most of those actions fly in contrast to the basic tenets of faith.  I'd also argue there has been a sh&t ton of of non-religious, non-faith based horrible %$#@ done by humans to other humans.  

It is not a lazy argument.  If someone finds comfort in their faith?  Have at it. It helps them great. One person or the handful they touch throughout their lives benefits from their faith.  However a handful of religious zealots/leaders have been responsible for the massacre of millions.  

And again just because there has been a ***** ton more non-faith based horror does not absolve those who commit atrocities in the name of their God.  Look what’s going on in Iran now in the name of their God.  Is your God better than theirs?  

Trust me I have nothing against those who believe.  I’ll actually take them over arrogant atheists all day long. Just don’t tell me religion has not caused major problems in man’s history.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It is not a lazy argument.  If someone finds comfort in their faith?  Have at it. It helps them great. One person or the handful they touch throughout their lives benefits from their faith.  However a handful of religious zealots/leaders have been responsible for the massacre of millions.  

And again just because there has been a ***** ton more non-faith based horror does not absolve those who commit atrocities in the name of their God.  Look what’s going on in Iran now in the name of their God.  Is your God better than theirs?  

Trust me I have nothing against those who believe.  I’ll actually take them over arrogant atheists all day long. Just don’t tell me religion has not caused major problems in man’s history.  

The original post I replied to was when you suggested  'more harm than good'.  I don't think that's true, hence my reply. I agree that people acting in the name of some version of God  have caused massive, major problems throughout history.  

As for Iran, I'd guess we would have to discuss who(m) is doing what to who(m), and their perspective on their God.  I try hard to avoid bigotry and bias, and I'd think there are Iranian's who's views would align with mine--peaceful alignment with beliefs and society, love of family, respect for others etc.  I'd think if their God was down with that sort of thing, their God sounds a lot like my God.  If, on the other hand, their God was about complete and total subjugation of all, my God is, indeed better than theirs.  

About 20 years ago, I chose a doctor who was born, raised an educated in Afghanistan.  We had met through friends, spoke quite a bit about his faith (Muslim) and mine.  He spoke about the destruction of the village he grew up in, the medical school he attended being destroyed by fundamentalists and how difficult it was.   More than a few of my life lessons start like that, where someone talks to me, I think about their experiences, and how I might feel if it was me.  

I had an infection in my finger one time, went to see him and he suggested it should be lanced.  He said to me before he got started "Be ready.  This is not going to be unpainful.".  I thought about that, looked at him and said "You're saying it's going to hurt?", to which he replied "Yes, it will hurt quite a bit".    It was pretty funny, and he was correct.   

45 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm not sure why you are asking me this, and I have no view, but if you have any ounce of integrity you might ask the same of CT. Senator Richard Blumenthal.

A liar exposed.

Either way, we have way more important issues to deal with than lying politicians, which is redundant.

No opinion? Of a guy lying about his service record? Wow 

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The original post I replied to was when you suggested  'more harm than good'.  I don't think that's true, hence my reply. I agree that people acting in the name of some version of God  have caused massive, major problems throughout history.  

IMO if one person is murdered in the name of God that outweighs any good the religion has done.

I agree with most of your response regarding Iran.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

IMO if one person is murdered in the name of God that outweighs any good the religion has done.

I agree with most of your response regarding Iran.  

That's whack.  Did the action of Derek Chauvin outweigh any of the good of law enforcement has done over the past couple thousand years? 

Anyway, we'll always have Iran.  That's enough in this crazy world.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

That's whack.  Did the action of Derek Chauvin outweigh any of the good of law enforcement has done over the past couple thousand years? 

Anyway, we'll always have Iran.  That's enough in this crazy world.

Was Derek Chauvin acting on behalf of a higher power?  Come on Skynyrd....you can do better than that. 

30 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

That has to be one of the oddest things I’ve ever read on here. I have some idea of how old you are Chef. If you've truly lived by that principle you must be very much alone. You don’t judge the validity of God by the sinful nature of man. Much in the same way you don’t right off an entire group of people because one of them is a whack job. (There’s an entire Bible story where we’re taught that God won’t do the same to you/us.)

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Was Derek Chauvin acting on behalf of a higher power?  Come on Skynyrd....you can do better than that. 

The US government?  

Seriously? The power to end your life, end life as you know it, imprison or emotionally and physically, and offer sweet redemption when you stray? Seize the product of your work?  Add to that comments about shared values, the soul of the nation, the greater good and justice for all. 

I’m comfortable with my response based on the ground rules as you laid it out.  

Then again, they were your ground rules, not mine.  I held a different opinion. 

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That has to be one of the oddest things I’ve ever read on here. I have some idea of how old you are Chef. If you've truly lived by that principle you must be very much alone. You don’t judge the validity of God by the sinful nature of man. Much in the same way you don’t right off an entire group of people because one of them is a whack job. (There’s an entire Bible story where we’re taught that God won’t do the same to you/us.)

So the Crusades were just a bunch of whack jobs and not a series of wars directed by the church?  

Religion is VERY powerful and has prompted people since the beginning of time to do things they otherwise would likely not do.  

Are you proud of your evil religious history?  Do you condemn it?  To me is shows me there is no God.  If so why would he let things like that happen in his name?  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The US government?  

Seriously? The power to end your life, end life as you know it, imprison or emotionally and physically, and offer sweet redemption when you stray? Seize the product of your work?  Add to that comments about shared values, the soul of the nation, the greater good and justice for all. 

I’m comfortable with my response based on the ground rules as you laid it out.  

Then again, they were your ground rules, not mine.  I held a different opinion. 

The government?  He acted on his own with no directive of the government.  As a matter of fact the same government imprisoned him for his actions.  

Now about the Crusades.  How do you feel about them?  Religious persecution in England?  It's what prompted colonization of the New World. .  Why very religious men knew to make sure we did not have a national religion.  Why we have the religious freedom we have here today. 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So the Crusades were just a bunch of whack jobs and not a series of wars directed by the church?  

Religion is VERY powerful and has prompted people since the beginning of time to do things they otherwise would likely not do.  

Are you proud of your evil religious history?  Do you condemn it?  To me is shows me there is no God.  If so why would he let things like that happen in his name?  

So your version of God is someone that controls every move that everyone makes? I think you're confusing God for the people pulling Biden's strings at the White House. (kidding.....sort of)

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

So your version of God is someone that controls every move that everyone makes? I think you're confusing God for the people pulling Biden's strings at the White House. (kidding.....sort of)

Controls?  No.  Influences?  Hell yeah. 

So your God has no responsibility for how people interpret his message?  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Controls?  No.  Influences?  Hell yeah. 

So your God has no responsibility for how people interpret his message?  

No, he has gifted Mankind the unique character of free will.  You have to look at things with a godlike timeline. As an example: I was sitting on the beach yesterday, reading a book, and watching while two little sisters fought, cried, and made up over and over and over again in the span on an hour or two. Their mother pretty much just sat there. She knew they would always make up and go right back to playing. God's timeline is much like the mother's.  Your (and my) meager existence on this planet is fleeting. A vapor in the wind. Here today and gone tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ho’d up Chef.  

We exchanged ideas on the big picture as it relates to religion, and then you made your point about one murder outweighing all the good that faith contributed to the lives of people historically.  When I shifted that to law enforcement, you called me out and I offered what I think is a reasonable counterpoint as it relates to the power, cultural significance and dogma of right v wrong as offered by the US Government. 

Then, ::wupshaw:: you want to teleport me back to The Crusades and 1200 years ago??  

Around here we call that a Tiberian Shift.  I mow’ def know you are better than that. 

Be that as it may, if you prefer not to address that in relation to your standard, that’s fine. If it’s Chef and Lehn’s Excellent Adventure, so be it, back to the year 1100 we go. 

I believe the Crusades were directed by The Church, I believe the actions undertaken fall into the category of the horrible stuff we already agreed on.  I am neither proud, nor embarrassed by the historical record, choosing instead to focus on the misguided and often evil acts of man at the time.  

As for this being proof to you of the fallacy of the concept of God, you already made that point.   I’ll revert back to our earlier posts on the subject and simply say that the comfort and power of faith has been of benefit of untold billions and of people.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

My record on the topic of religion is well-established in these fora. That said, those who would speak about Christianity would do well to actually educate themselves on the topic before making wildly inaccurate claims about a religion that has been established for close to 2000 years. 

The historical record of Christianity and its influence on western government is well-documented. No reason to speak from ignorance when many of your claims can be debunked by popping open a book that you can get at any public library. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, LeviF said:

My record on the topic of religion is well-established in these fora. That said, those who would speak about Christianity would do well to actually educate themselves on the topic before making wildly inaccurate claims about a religion that has been established for close to 2000 years. 

The historical record of Christianity and its influence on western government is well-documented. No reason to speak from ignorance when many of your claims can be debunked by popping open a book that you can get at any public library. 

Republican government is not in the bible. It is way more inline with the monarchy we separated from. This government protects us from the many, many headaches, problems, bloodshed and hate religion fostered 

I mean really, there is no reason for Protestants and Catholics to hate each other