Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame

Lori

We know Thurman's name is going up in '05... but who should be the 2006 inductee?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. We know Thurman's name is going up in '05... but who should be the 2006 inductee?

• Cornelius Bennett
    • Jerry Butler
    • Butch Byrd
    • Bob Chandler
    • Shane Conlan
    • Carlton "Cookie" Gilchrist
    • James Lofton
    • Reggie McKenzie
    • Bryce Paup
    • Bill Polian
    • Andre Reed
    • Lou Saban
    • Bruce Smith
    • Chris Spielman
    • Steve Tasker
    • Will Wolford
    • other (please explain below)

Sad to see that I am the first vote for Butch Byrd.

Excerpt:

337250[/snapback]

Byrd had an outstanding performance in the 1965 American Football League Championship game against the Chargers.  He held Chargers receiver Don Norton to one reception and knocked him unconscious with a block at the line of scrimmage in the third period. 

But his biggest play of the game was a scintillating punt return, when Byrd took a John Hadl punt and with fabulous blocking, went 74 yards for a TD.

That punt return had Byrd going down the sidelines with 2 players to beat. Paul Maguire was blocking. He tramples the first guy and throws himself at the ankles of the last guy, cutting his legs out as Byrd jogs into the end zone. What an outstanding effort.

Maguire was crazy as all hell but a top effort football player. He always hustled and could really hit on Special Teams and when he filled in at LB. Great punter. Actually started his career with the Chargers as a TE.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None.  Spielman is a great guy, and did the right thing sitting out a season to help his wife through cancer treatments, but his contributions on the field were minimal with the Bills.

337205[/snapback]

Minimal? Uh, no. Too short a term? Absolutely.

CS had 206 tackles in ONE season. That ain't minimal by any stretch of the imagination.

But the issue of these three-year players does bring up an interesting point: do the criteria of (or at least attitude towards) The Wall need to be changed in light of free agency?  There's a good argument to be made that a player that produce enough to be on The Wall isn't going to stick around very long.  The Wall to me has always honored those players that don't just produce, but are part of the history of a team, in that they're who you first think of (OJ, Jim Kelly, Thurman, Jack Kemp, Fergy, Dubenion, etc.) when you think of a team.  A big part of that is longevity...and for players that produce on that level, they're not likely to stick around these days.  What does the Wall of Fame actually honor, and is it even a viable concept in the modern NFL (i.e. free agency) anymore?

337245[/snapback]

Some good questions there, CTM. The stock answer as to what the Wall was created to honor:

"... players, administrators, and coaches who have played significant roles in the team's history."

Personally, I think longevity HAS to be a part of that, and I wouldn't mind seeing that three-year minimum doubled. (In case anyone's wondering, all of the current players on the Wall would still qualify except for Kalsu, and he's a very special exemption to begin with.)

But is it viable in the age of rent-a-teams, when signing bonuses and cap hits seem to have taken the place of loyalty? Not as much as it used to be, for sure, but in my opinion that makes the few exceptions even more exceptional...

Minimal?  Uh, no.  Too short a term?  Absolutely.

CS had 206 tackles in ONE season.  That ain't minimal by any stretch of the imagination.

337268[/snapback]

Right freakin on!

Speilman received less accolades than guys like Butkis, etc., but he was an extremely gifted football player. He was an instant leader on this football team, and has probably helped the careers of many of his fellow defenders.

I read once that Speilman did not care to be called a "smart" player. He felt that his success was due to his hard work AND his physical attributes.

I wish that we could get him back here in some capacity. Coupled with my man Coach Krumrie, that would be one serious duo. :blink:

I would love to see Lou Saban on the Wall. It'll never happen because of his rocky relationship with Ralph, but he meant more to the franchise prior to the Superbowl years than any other individual. He brought us our ONLY championships, and he brought us OJ's 2000 yard season with the Electric Company.

Lou is getting up in age and it would be nice to honor him once more while we can.

I would love to see Lou Saban on the Wall.  It'll never happen because of his rocky relationship with Ralph, but he meant more to the franchise prior to the Superbowl years than any other individual.  He brought us our ONLY championships, and he brought us OJ's 2000 yard season with the Electric Company.

Lou is getting up in age and it would be nice to honor him once more while we can.

337832[/snapback]

I know he was invited to Alumni Day last season (when the '64 team was honored), so I'm assuming he'll also get an invitation to the festivities next month. Doubt he'll show.

I'd like to see that happen, too, clay -- but quitting the team TWO DAYS before a regular-season game, as he did in October 1976? Can't blame Ralph for holding onto that grudge.

I was thinking...what about Pete Metzelaars or Frank Reich?  Any shot of either of them getting on the Wall of Fame?

337954[/snapback]

In my opinion? Probably not. By the time they work their way through the bigger stars down to Big Red and Frank (and I'd add House Ballard, Christie, and Odomes to your two), guys like Ted Washington, Eric Moulds, and Ruben Brown will most likely be in the mix, too.

Metzelaars and Reich had their moments in the spotlight -- heck, we'll love Frank forever for the Comeback game -- but they were complementary players at best. And when compared to some of the earlier players still waiting to be honored, I can't realistically see putting either Frank or Pete on the Wall.

I fully expect both to receive the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Distinguished Service Award at some point, though.

I voted for Jerry Butler. He was a great player for the Bills. He was a productive player for the Bills. He made some of the best plays and was involved in some great games. And then he became a great spokesperson and face of the team in the community. And since this honor is designated for players, coaches and administrators, it is time that great players who are great guys and great ambassadors for the game and city and team get their due.

I voted for Jerry Butler. He was a great player for the Bills. He was a productive player for the Bills. He made some of the best plays and was involved in some great games. And then he became a great spokesperson and face of the team in the community. And since this honor is designated for players, coaches and administrators, it is time that great players who are great guys and great ambassadors for the game and city and team get their due.

338597[/snapback]

Amen.

And if only he'd managed to stay healthy....

*sigh*

.....we may well have been talking about him in the HOF thread.

I can't say that I've been a fan as long as most of you, but growing up in the late 80's/early 90's, Bruce Smith was one of my heros (along with Bennett, Paup, etc.). I'd love to see him go up...

I can't say that I've been a fan as long as most of you, but growing up in the late 80's/early 90's, Bruce Smith was one of my heros (along with Bennett, Paup, etc.).  I'd love to see him go up...

338660[/snapback]

Well, if you keep your season tickets for another year or two after this one, you'll be able to - no chance they'll wait any longer than that to add Bruuuuuuce to the Wall. I'm guessing Andre goes first, just because he retired first and is already Hall of Fame-eligible, but I could be wrong.....