What happened to Lindsey Lohan??

there's a difference between a size 12 and an anorexic waif.  honestly, our country is too fat.  it's a fact.  the skinny actresses starving themselves comprise a miniscule percentage of the population; the problem is that they get most of the exposure.

as for what is healthy and attractive (at least to me), i'll use my wife as an example.  5'7", between 125-130 lbs., and curves in all the right places.  she wears between a 6 and an 8.  she doesn't diet, she exercises somewhat regularly (but is no gym rat), and eats healthy.  why can't more people follow that pattern?  i know genetics plays a part, but it's not that damn difficult.

to your point, however, i agree that it is horrible that teenage girls are fed the "heroin-chic" look by the mass media.  and lindsay lohan looks disgusting in those recent pics.

337186[/snapback]

Honestly, you're correct that our country is too fat. When you can double the size of your meal at any Burger King for a few cents more, and KFC has a soft drink container that looks like a bucket, there's a problem on the other side of the bell curve.

My wife is a size 10, watches what she eats (but enjoys cheeseburgers) and also exercises reqularly. She's in a stressful job (RN on a night shift), so her hours are sporadic and that takes a toll on her body.

If Kim is pregnant now, as she may well be, that could pose a problem.

BTW, an attractive full-figured woman would be Nigella Lawson, the British host of "Nigella Bites" on the Style Network. She's a little old for me (she's 45; I'm 36 on June 2), but Nigella looks like Kim's older British sister.

Mike

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a difference between a size 12 and an anorexic waif.  honestly, our country is too fat.  it's a fact.  the skinny actresses starving themselves comprise a miniscule percentage of the population; the problem is that they get most of the exposure.

as for what is healthy and attractive (at least to me), i'll use my wife as an example.  5'7", between 125-130 lbs., and curves in all the right places.  she wears between a 6 and an 8.  she doesn't diet, she exercises somewhat regularly (but is no gym rat), and eats healthy.  why can't more people follow that pattern?  i know genetics plays a part, but it's not that damn difficult.

337186[/snapback]

How many kids has she given birth to....?

How many kids has she given birth to....?

337343[/snapback]

at this point, none. and i know that's another factor. my point is only that you don't have to be a workout fanatic or diet extremist to stay in decent shape. we have lots of friends in our age group (mid 30s) who have had kids -- none of the women have "ballooned" significantly after giving birth.

at this point, none.  and i know that's another factor.  my point is only that you don't have to be a workout fanatic or diet extremist to stay in decent shape.  we have lots of friends in our age group (mid 30s) who have had kids -- none of the women have "ballooned" significantly after giving birth.

337392[/snapback]

my wife put on 40 lbs since she had our daughter nine years ago. She can't it off for anything. Not that I mind, I think she's still smoking hot, but it bothers her.

my wife put on 40 lbs since she had our daughter nine years ago. She can't it off for anything. Not that I mind, I think she's still smoking hot, but it bothers her.

337403[/snapback]

yeah, i don't really know what to say about that. sometimes genetics sucks. my original point wasn't that every woman should be a size 6; just that the statistics show a country of overweight people and i don't think it should be that way. i feel even more strongly, though, that the anorexic look should not be publicized and promoted as being "in" -- it's terribly unhealthy.

yeah, i don't really know what to say about that.  sometimes genetics sucks.  my original point wasn't that every woman should be a size 6; just that the statistics show a country of overweight people and i don't think it should be that way.  i feel even more strongly, though, that the anorexic look should not be publicized and promoted as being "in" -- it's terribly unhealthy.

337682[/snapback]

a lot of it has to do with the fact that people in this country don't walk anywhere. i live in nyc, and my kids (5 and 8) aren't forced to exercise but they do walk at least 1.5 miles and usually 2+ everyday. granted, nyc is unique, but it really does keep you in shape. in a lot of american suburbs and exurbs, the way the sidewalks, street patterns, and shopping stripes are set up practically forbid you from walking to a store.

a lot of it has to do with the fact that people in this country don't walk anywhere. i live in nyc, and my kids (5 and 8) aren't forced to exercise but they do walk at least 1.5 miles and usually 2+ everyday. granted, nyc is unique, but it really does keep you in shape. in a lot of american suburbs and exurbs, the way the sidewalks, street patterns, and shopping stripes are set up practically forbid you from walking to a store.

337737[/snapback]

I agree. Same with Europe. While I was over there I drank tons of beer every night, lots of espressos, gelato, chocolate, croissants, 3-5 meals every day, etc and I lost 5 pounds in 6 weeks. I walked 20+miles every day. Europeons bike and walk everywhere. I beleive that is why they are thinner. They love their sweets, beers and carbs and yet are still much thinner then your average American

great point, i was watching a show on mtv yesterday about some girl in nyc/li area that spent $13,000 on various plastic surgeries so she could look more like tiffany amber thiessan :D , so she could submit photos to playboy and hopefully move to la for a movie/modelling career, and during it all there is her mother, proud as can be encouraging her the entire time. 1st off, where is she getting the $$ to throw away like this, 2nd what satisfaction is there in altering your looks that way, now if you want to excersize and doll yourself to look like someone else fine. It is kind of like the stomache staple crowd beaming at thier "accomplishment" of losing weight.....BS they didn't do a goddam thing to better themselves, they simply paid someone to reconstruct themselves. they all make me sick!!!!!

Well, I guess we'll know soon enough whether the pics are real.

Photo shop or not, there's another issue here:  Is anyone else here as disturbed as I am by these pics?  Hollywood seems to be teaching our daughters that you need to look like a skeleton to be successful and attractive. 

When nothing could be further from the truth.  I read somewhere that 60% of American women are at least a size 12, which is not really that big.  I'm not totally convinced this is a weight issue, but a self-esteem issue (i.e., these girls think they're too fat when they are in fact perfectly proportioned).

Are men truly interested in really skinny women who look like 12 year old boys in drag?  I know I'm not. 

BTW, Nicole Ritchie's head looks way too big for the rest of her body.

Mike

336887[/snapback]

I agree.  Same with Europe.  While I was over there I drank tons of beer every night, lots of espressos, gelato, chocolate, croissants, 3-5 meals every day, etc and I lost 5 pounds in 6 weeks.  I walked 20+miles every day.  Europeons bike and walk everywhere.  I beleive that is why they are thinner.  They love their sweets, beers and carbs and yet are still much thinner then your average American

337746[/snapback]

what do you call a fat person in Europe?

Tourist

I swear to god these girls are retarded when it comes to looks. LL was smoking hot before.

I hope these pics are doctored....

337402[/snapback]

you mean, back when she was underage?? :lol:

:D

what do you call a fat person in Europe?

Tourist

337794[/snapback]

:D

but i think if gas prices were as high here as they are there, i think A LOT more americans would walk or bike A LOT more.

I concede those pictures are real. Too bad- Lindsay was a cutie. What a body she used to have. Looks like heroin to me. Her eyes look dead and her face looks like a user. She does not look healthy. WTF? I dont understand? I have been watching the show "Intervention". Great show but crazy. Lindsay looks like she could be on that show

Lindsay needs to wake up with the King

great point, i was watching a show on mtv yesterday about some girl in nyc/li area that spent $13,000 on various plastic surgeries so she could look more like tiffany amber thiessan :doh: , so she could submit photos to playboy and hopefully move to la for a movie/modelling career, and during it all there is her mother, proud as can be encouraging her the entire time.  1st off, where is she getting the $$ to throw away like this, 2nd what satisfaction is there in altering your looks that way, now if you want to excersize and doll yourself to look like someone else fine.  It is kind of like the stomache staple crowd beaming at thier "accomplishment" of losing weight.....BS they didn't do a goddam thing to better themselves, they simply paid someone to reconstruct themselves.  they all make me sick!!!!!

337774[/snapback]

Too bad all she really needed was a good pair of running shoes and run 5 miles a day. She would lean out in 3 months.

great point, i was watching a show on mtv yesterday about some girl in nyc/li area that spent $13,000 on various plastic surgeries so she could look more like tiffany amber thiessan :doh: , so she could submit photos to playboy and hopefully move to la for a movie/modelling career, and during it all there is her mother, proud as can be encouraging her the entire time.  1st off, where is she getting the $$ to throw away like this, 2nd what satisfaction is there in altering your looks that way, now if you want to excersize and doll yourself to look like someone else fine.  It is kind of like the stomache staple crowd beaming at thier "accomplishment" of losing weight.....BS they didn't do a goddam thing to better themselves, they simply paid someone to reconstruct themselves.  they all make me sick!!!!!

337774[/snapback]

Pooj, whats wrong with paying someone, its the american way!!!!. If the goal is to lose weight, they accomplished their goal. Do not look at the money, 13K to them might be like $20 to us.

I'll give you a personal example. My wife has paid a considerable amount for cosmetic surgery you know where. However, in her case it was a reduction and not an enhancement. She looked fine to me, but she felt here breasts were to big and she wanted the surgery. My thought was if she is going to feel better about herself, I am all for it.It has made a world of differance in her posture, and not just from the weight reduction. She used to be slouched a little more, as if trying to hide the size of her breasts from the outside world, now her posture is all confidence.

What we spent on that surgery I am sure some would scoff at, but thats why we work eh?

And to Pete, what the hell were you doing in Europe where you ahd the time to walk 20 miles a day. Even at 10 minutes a mile(quick jogging pace more than walking) thats still over three hours a day walking. Guess you did a walking tour of Europe

:doh:

but i think if gas prices were as high here as they are there, i think A LOT more americans would walk or bike A LOT more.

337797[/snapback]

I doubt it. A great many of our metropolitan areas are sprawled to the point that it is impossible to walk. I'm seven miles from a gas station, down a two laner with a 55MPH speed limit and no sidewalks.

On top of that, we're a lazy bunch. What? Walk? In the Sun? I can have my Howard Stern and my AC!

It's a trap I'm trying *really* hard to avoid. I want to stay active. It's a real B word though as everything has been made so damn convenient!

-Jeff

I doubt it. A great many of our metropolitan areas are sprawled to the point that it is impossible to walk.  I'm seven miles from a gas station, down a two laner with a 55MPH speed limit and no sidewalks. 

On top of that, we're a lazy bunch.  What? Walk? In the Sun? I can have my Howard Stern and my AC! 

It's a trap I'm trying *really* hard to avoid. I want to stay active.  It's a real B word though as everything has been made so damn convenient!

-Jeff

338211[/snapback]

This country was built on the automobile and it will die by the automobile.

If I could walk to where I needed to, I would. But at 10 miles to work and 3 to the nearest grocery store, that's an impossibility.