Least Favorite Beer?

There are very few beers that actually taste good. Corona is the only beer that I can drink. The rest is swill from a toilet bowl.

336396[/snapback]

Don't drink there water but there beer is the best, I'm still trying to figure that one out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a modicum of taste, but I feel that there is no worst beer. Certainly some taste better than some, if you treat it like fine food.

But if It gets me drunk when I want to get drunk, mission accomplished. Same with hard liquor or wine.

This is like arguing about rifle cartridges...it's a matter of range, time, intent, weight and economics.:blink:

Worst: Carling Black Label 16oz. cans. $1.99 for a 6 pack. I would have rather licked the rust off an old car than drink that stuff.

2nd Worst: Naragansett. $3.99 for a case at Consumers Beverages (this was back in 1992-93) They still have that at Consumers. Probably the same unsold beer from 13 years ago. Hangover lasted for days even when you got drunk again.

3rd worst: Hudepohl. 16oz. pounders. $4.99 a case. Some of the caps and labels from the case we bought didn't match! Bottles were kind of slimy too. Drank it though just because it was cheap and I was young and stupid.

4th worst: Schaefer. Found this at a Rite-Aid once for $1.99 a 12 pack. One of the ingredients? Formaldahyde. Tasty!

Worst of the rest: Piel's, Utica Club Cream Ale, Genesee 12 Horse Ale, Schmidt's, Schmidt's Bavarian, Meister Brau, Milwaukee's Best, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz and Generic Yellow Cans that said "Beer" on the front from Bells Markets.

337129[/snapback]

I was just going to add Meister Brau to the list! The worst stuff ever. The first time I ever got drunk was on that crap (13). When I drank all the cans I started on Genny Cream - 2nd worst. You'd think that I'd have never picked up another ever again...

Jeff

How about Schlitz? I don't remember anyone mentioning Schlitz.

Until the 1970's, they were one of the largest brewers in America. Then, Schlitz cut down the brewing cycle by two-thirds, which ultimately caused a green substance that resembled algae to grow inside the cans.

It was harmless, but the damage was done.

Mike

I like most Sam Adams, but today I cracked open a Sam Adams Raspberry Lambic beer. I was a more than a little skeptical, but wanted a beer. One sip and the rest went down the drain. I cannot remember the last time I did that. I needed a Guiness to wash the taste out of my mouth!  :doh:

336666[/snapback]

Hahahahaa. I bought one of those 'sampler' 12packs for a tailgate a few seasons ago. We quickly killed off the regular Sam and the Winter Lager, then started looking at the "special" brews they included - two of which were the Cranberry Iambic. Nobody would take a full bottle, but a few people were brave enough to try a small sample, so I opened a bottle and divided it between five or six styrofoam cups.

We all agreed it didn't deserve to be in the same box with anything labeled "beer". The second bottle came back with me, then sat in the fridge for two years, until I poured it down the drain so I could recycle the bottle and make room for real beer in there....

Lesson learned: avoid Sam Adams 'sampler packs', and just buy a full 12pk or case of the brew you like.

Hahahahaa. I bought one of those 'sampler' 12packs for a tailgate a few seasons ago. We quickly killed off the regular Sam and the Winter Lager, then started looking at the "special" brews they included - two of which were the Cranberry Iambic. Nobody would take a full bottle, but a few people were brave enough to try a small sample, so I opened a bottle and divided it between five or six styrofoam cups.

338003[/snapback]

I don't know why SA ever even attempted a lambic, those should be left strictly to the Belgians as it is a very difficult style to get right. Try a Lindeman's Framboise or Cantillon for good examples of lambics.

4th worst: Schaefer. Found this at a Rite-Aid once for $1.99 a 12 pack. One of the ingredients? Formaldahyde. Tasty!

337129[/snapback]

Good Call. Forgot about the Schaefer! Nasty...

338534[/snapback]

Great slogan, though. I remember this ad for them with a guy surrounded by Moogs, Rick Wakeman style, wailing keyboard riffs, and then the slogan: "Schaefer's: It's the one to have when you're having more than one."

Classic.

The worst 50 beers as rated by those over at BeerAdvocate.com

The worst overall, Corona Light, I'm proud to say has never touched my lips.

A few sample reviews:

Smells like old shoes and tastes like sour dishwater. Possibly the worst beer I've ever had. I recall eating at a mexican restaurant and thinking that my neighbor should likely invest in some foot odor pads. I then realized that it was the beer I was smelling. I tried one just for the sake of knowing what it was like and I have to say that while it's better than the smell, it's still sub-par in every aspect.

The color of it is nice, but that's really the only positive thing I can say about it.

At a family gathering a case of this was in the midst of a barbecue. While I happily quaffed an excellent Otter Creek Vermont Lager, I placed it down on a table next to an eerily similar beer. Tending to the pork on the grill, I later returned to the table and decided to give this lager-ish impostor a whirl.

Looks wise I could have thought I was grabbing my Vermont Lager, though the gold was a bit duller, the carbonation more infrequent, and the head almost non-existent. Up to my nose and I gag - putrid scents of rotting flowers, cardboard, and some other things that just ain't right. Taste-wise it had no malt to speak of, and I don't understand what kind of hops they were employing. Old, skunked weeds pulled from the trash field behind the brewery?

Now it was drinkable enough for a cheap lager, but stood up as a lesson in contrast. Does the "Light" mean you're light in the head or in the wallet to buy this stuff? I could list a couple of similar-priced macro-brewed beers better than this rancid tap water.

338534[/snapback]

in college the joke used to be that if you buy a case of schaefer, you better buy a case of TP to go with it...

The worst beer was the one from the coors 18 pack that I had last week which had mold on the top. One fo the cans was empty and must have broke in shipping, and every bear near that one was covered with mold. Talk about disgusting, bleh!