Moving Back To Buffalo Questions

cwater10

Just throwing this out in to the wind to see what feedback comes back.  After becoming a widow earlier this spring, I'm now starting to step away from the pain that experience naturally brings, and I'm facing up with the reality that life alone in Florida just isn't the experience I'm looking for in my remaining years.  I am about 80% of my way to the decision to move back to Buffalo and I will be traveling to Buffalo this week to explore some housing options.  

I'm hoping for some feedback on some good parts of town to look.  In my earlier Buffalo life,  lived in Town of Tonawanda and always liked it there.  I still have interest in my old house there and have considered renovating it.  Still, I think about how the housing stock in that area has continued to age and am not sure how to feel about that.   When I consider alternatives in the area, my knee jerk reaction is that it would be fun to live in one of the new downtown lofts and be closer to Sabre games, concerts etc...  but then reality sets in.  I am a man in my 60's, sober for decades and not sure that I belong wondering around downtown at night on a regular basis.  So there it is, I am not looking for the Elmwood Strip, every night a party experience at this point in my life, just a nice decent area to live with decent middle of the road housing cost (probably just a tad below the Clarence price points) close to shopping and restaurants and within easy striking range of downtown.  Any and all feedback would be so welcome.  

Edited by cwater10

I am a licensed realtor and I would be happy to help you find the right home for you. I am well versed in the Erie and Niagara county markets. Parts of Tonawanda seem like a great fit for what you stated above. If you shoot me a DM with your price range along with your email I can search the MLS and set you up with auto alerts so you will see available homes before they show up on sites like Zillow.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I am a licensed realtor and I would be happy to help you find the right home for you. I am well versed in the Erie and Niagara county markets. Parts of Tonawanda seem like a great fit for what you stated above. If you shoot me a DM with your price range along with your email I can search the MLS and set you up with auto alerts so you will see available homes before they show up on sites like Zillow.

This isn’t WNY specific, but as a former Realtor I will say most sites like Zillow are woefully behind in updating information. I would get calls regarding properties that went off the market months earlier. It is easy to use and handy for getting a general feel for what the market is like in different areas, but it’s unlikely to find you a specific property. Realtor.com seems to be more up to date, but the very best source of info is indeed MLS. 

I am so sorry for you loss, @cwater10. I cannot imagine finding myself alone, day after day. Sounds like a reasonable thought to get closer to family and friends if you can. 

I’ve been gone far too long to be helpful to you, but I loved growing up in Williamsville and East Amherst. I live in Atlanta now and it seems you can get anywhere in the general Buffalo area without much trouble. Yes, all things are relative. On a recent trip back I went to Hamburg where we lived when I was younger. I must say, there is a very cute little downtown and a lot of nice and seemingly reasonable housing.

I have a friend trying to move to the St Pete/Clearwater area now from Atlanta. It’s is super hot and he’s having a hard time, which should translate to a good time for you to sell (assuming you are not renting, obviously). One might argue that the timing to buy in WNY would also be bad, but we lived in Sarasota for almost 20 years and I learned otherwise. The peaks and valleys are much more extreme in Florida, as I discovered the hard way when I worked in real estate and everything came to a screaming halt in the 1st quarter of 2006. 

Again, I’m sorry for your loss and will pray for things to work out as well as possible for you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

This isn’t WNY specific, but as a former Realtor I will say most sites like Zillow are woefully behind in updating information. I would get calls regarding properties that went off the market months earlier. It is easy to use and handy for getting a general feel for what the market is like in different areas, but it’s unlikely to find you a specific property. Realtor.com seems to be more up to date, but the very best source of info is indeed MLS. 

I am so sorry for you loss, @cwater10. I cannot imagine finding myself alone, day after day. Sounds like a reasonable thought to get closer to family and friends if you can. 

I’ve been gone far too long to be helpful to you, but I loved growing up in Williamsville and East Amherst. I live in Atlanta now and it seems you can get anywhere in the general Buffalo area without much trouble. Yes, all things are relative. On a recent trip back I went to Hamburg where we lived when I was younger. I must say, there is a very cute little downtown and a lot of nice and seemingly reasonable housing.

I have a friend trying to move to the St Pete/Clearwater area now from Atlanta. It’s is super hot and he’s having a hard time, which should translate to a good time for you to sell (assuming you are not renting, obviously). One might argue that the timing to buy in WNY would also be bad, but we lived in Sarasota for almost 20 years and I learned otherwise. The peaks and valleys are much more extreme in Florida, as I discovered the hard way when I worked in real estate and everything came to a screaming halt in the 1st quarter of 2006. 

Again, I’m sorry for your loss and will pray for things to work out as well as possible for you. 

Thank you for the kind thoughts and suggestions Augie.  Sarasota is in fact where I am now, and looking to sell.  I get mixed signals from realtors here and of course, the on line buyer sharks out there want to steal the property.  But I'm comfortable in the ability to sell a 5 year old home at a fair price.  

RE: Hamburg, Orchard Park etc...  I have previously dismissed southtowns immediately due to more lake effect there, but am revisiting those assumptions.  It does seem there is good value in some areas outside of the northtowns.  Lancaster seems to be jumping out at me in some of the online listings that I have looked at.  Can anybody out there offer any feedback on that area?  

So sorry for your loss, life can be cruel. As someone who has lived in your shoes, I suggest you give it more time before making such huge life change (I believe they said give it a year or so). I was given the same advice when I lost my wife and I listened. I am still in Florida. 20+ years later (though It will never be home). 

You didn't say when you left WNY, how long have you been in Florida?

6 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Thank you for the kind thoughts and suggestions Augie.  Sarasota is in fact where I am now, and looking to sell.  I get mixed signals from realtors here and of course, the on line buyer sharks out there want to steal the property.  But I'm comfortable in the ability to sell a 5 year old home at a fair price.  

RE: Hamburg, Orchard Park etc...  I have previously dismissed southtowns immediately due to more lake effect there, but am revisiting those assumptions.  It does seem there is good value in some areas outside of the northtowns.  Lancaster seems to be jumping out at me in some of the online listings that I have looked at.  Can anybody out there offer any feedback on that area?  

I look at the Sarasota market a few times a month (using the Michael Saunders website, which is better than most) and I’m confident you’ll do just fine when you decide to sell. My goal is to get back there at least part time in the next few years. Too expensive to buy there now! I lived there longer than I lived in WNY, as I left for college when I was 17 and rarely got back until I started returning for Bills home games in the last decade or so. 

We’d like a break from the heat in the summer, and if we can’t afford the NC mountains I’d certainly be open to considering WNY. Next trip back I’m going to spend a little more time in Hamburg as I just had a quick lunch there. Maybe it was that my formative years were there, but it had a wholesome “Mayberry RFD” feeling to it. I usually stay at the Hampton Inn on Main St in Williamsville when I get back. There is a similar feeling for me there.

So much to consider! Good luck!  Now you have ME going to look up there. 😂 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

So sorry for your loss, life can be cruel. As someone who has lived in your shoes, I suggest you give it more time before making such huge life change (I believe they said give it a year or so). I was given the same advice when I lost my wife and I listened. I am still in Florida. 20+ years later (though It will never be home). 

You didn't say when you left WNY, how long have you been in Florida?

Thank you @qwksilver .  Indeed, this whole experience has been a mind#### on every level.  And I definitely get the value of not rushing to quick change.  I will admit to a good many days and nights of just wanting to run, run to anywhere that I don't have to deal with it.  And even now, I admit to having feet of clay regarding the decision to make this change.  But I am starting to arrive at a point where I feel considerably more clearheaded than I did initially.  I don't know where the line in the sand is for me, in terms of trusting what I see and feel, but I do know that I sense clarity returning.  

After growing up in the Southern Tier, I lived in WNY for much of my life.  I would leave for a few years on many occasions only to return.  After about 8 years back in the area, I left Tonawanda in 2015, ironically after moving there from a couple of years in Florida.  When I left Tonawanda, it was to get married.  So here I am realizing that so much of life in Florida has been as either a relative newlywed, and then suddenly as a care giver after some shi**y medical surprises changed everything.  So now, most of my memories here are those that I both treasure and hurt when thinking of.   I know that pain will continue to fade.  My decision now is answering the question of where I choose to rebuild my life.  After months of introspection, I have arrived at a place where I want move forward and leave those memories behind, of course with a grateful place for them in my heart.  It just feels like time to come home.  I am now retired and I laugh when I think about swimming against what seems like the natural current, retiring "from Florida to Buffalo".   Out of order as that sounds, and all things considered, it feels like a healthier, happier place for me.

4 hours ago, cwater10 said:

Depew , Cheektowaga , Lancaster boarder is a pretty nice residential suburban area 

not too far from the city or bills stadium … not in a downtown setting 

gives you a nice suburban feel with a lot of food options 

• Thank you (+1) 1

@cwater10 "But I am starting to arrive at a point where I feel considerably more clearheaded than I did initially.  I don't know where the line in the sand is for me, in terms of trusting what I see and feel, but I do know that I sense clarity returning"

This is the fog lifting, It is part of the process. Since you aren't really attached to Florida, maybe moving isn't the worst idea. Maybe rent for a bit to see if you like it and keep your options open... Good luck in your journey.

My thoughts extend to you.  I can't help much on the Buffalo front as I haven't lived there in like forever.  However, as I consider downsizing in Columbus I have been thinking of renting for a brief period of time.  Reason being is to allow me time/space to get a fresh look on the area.  As you are moving from FL to Buffalo, consider the time to maintain house / yard that could be used for other things.  Renting may be an option to consider.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.