How many of the core ST Aces do they keep?

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

28 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Anyone who thinks Taiwan Jones could be replaced after McDermott specifically protected him by sitting him all Pre-Season is kidding themselves. That never happens for a healthy player who is remotely on the bubble.

could be replaced?

Depends on your meaning.

His value to the roster could be.

Will he? Probably not. 

though you are talking like he’s a skill position starter. They know what they have in him. Give someone the reps and see if they can beat him. 

The reason special teams players get precedence over somewhat decent depth players is that the special teams players will contribute every week. If we keep Blackshear or Hodgins they won't ever see the field except in case of multiple injuries. Jones, Matakevich, etc. all see the field and impact the game every week. If you keep depth players without special teams acumen you are wasting several roster spots. 5 players are inactive on game day. The other 48 all need to contribute.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah, about 30% of ST snaps....because he's too valuable to play more. In Cleveland where they didn't value him he was playing like 75% of ST plays. It's just not that important.

4th RB or 6th WR is even less important... That's why every team has a few special teams aces. They're not taking roster spots away from more valuable players. You're trying to maximize the value of every single roster spot and when you get down to roster spot #47, Taiwan Jones is a more valuable player than Isaiah Hodgins. Not to mention players like Hodgins and Blackshear will almost certainly make it to the PS.

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

though you are talking like he’s a skill position starter. They know what they have in him. Give someone the reps and see if they can beat him. 

It doesn't matter if someone beats him for the 4th RB role. Whether it's him or Blackshear neither one of them will ever see the field as a RB on gameday. So you pick the player that still has a reason to be active on gameday, and in this case the answer is obviously Jones. In case of injury we will call Blackshear up from the PS.

The only ST player I can see being replaced is Kumerow.  I think one of the reasons they sat Jones, Neal and Matekevich was to try some of these younger guys out and see if they can work.  Hodgins can make the contested catches...something McD wants to see.  Working Hodgins now into ST, I could see them keeping him as the 6th WR in place of Kumerow.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

4th RB or 6th WR is even less important... That's why every team has a few special teams aces. They're not taking roster spots away from more valuable players. You're trying to maximize the value of every single roster spot and when you get down to roster spot #47, Taiwan Jones is a more valuable player than Isaiah Hodgins. Not to mention players like Hodgins and Blackshear will almost certainly make it to the PS.

That's very clearly not the point. Is Taiwan Jones more valuable than Blackshear and is Kumerow more valuable than Hodgins are the relevant questions.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Is Taiwan Jones more valuable than Blackshear and is Kumerow more valuable than Hodgins are the relevant questions.

And I'm saying that they obviously are more valuable because they contribute on gameday. The last WR or RB on the depth chart will never see the field at that position, not unless something goes horribly wrong.

Also I'm shocked at the number of posts I see here and on Twitter from people that are 100% certain Hodgins and Blackshear will not make it through waivers. How many times does a skill position preseason star have to clear waivers before people get it? There is an overabundance of quality depth RBs and WRs. Last year we lost Jack Anderson, Wildgoose, and McCloud. Because good depth CBs and OL are hard to find. Guys like Hodgins and Blackshear are everywhere.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

And I'm saying that they obviously are more valuable because they contribute on gameday. The last WR or RB on the depth chart will never see the field at that position, not unless something goes horribly wrong.

Also I'm shocked at the number of posts I see here and on Twitter from people that are 100% certain Hodgins and Blackshear will not make it through waivers. How many times does a skill position preseason star have to clear waivers before people get it? There is an overabundance of quality depth RBs and WRs. Last year we lost Jack Anderson, Wildgoose, and McCloud. Because good depth CBs and OL are hard to find. Guys like Hodgins and Blackshear are everywhere.

The point is that Hodgins can reasonably duplicate what Kumerow does on special teams and ditto for Blackshear/Jones. 

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The point is that Hodgins can reasonably duplicate what Kumerow does on special teams and ditto for Blackshear/Jones. 

Hodgins, maybe? We haven't seen evidence of that but it's possible. Blackshear, no chance he can do that job as well as Jones. They've been trying him out as a returner, not a gunner as far as I know.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hodgins, maybe? We haven't seen evidence of that but it's possible. Blackshear, no chance he can do that job as well as Jones. They've been trying him out as a returner, not a gunner as far as I know.

Again- it's special teams. Imo it doesn't really matter. I'd rather have the rookie contracts and the roster space.

There is a certain fan-think mentality that really latches onto certain players. But really, how much sense does it make to hold onto fan-favorites who are buried in the depth chart-- a #7 WR, a #4, or #5 RB, a backup LB, or CB-- and sacrifice proven, core special teamers? 

Field position matters! A lot!!!

50 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Again- it's special teams. Imo it doesn't really matter. I'd rather have the rookie contracts and the roster space.

Why care about the contract? Taiwan Jones and Matakevich and Kumerow combined total $5.49 million. Blackshear and Spector and Hodgins combined would total $2.15 million. You're talking about a difference of $3.3 million and you get much less contribution from the latter trio. Why would we want to quibble over that small amount of money in our Super Bowl window? The only question that matters is which trio gives this team the most value on gameday in 2022. It's the first trio, no contest. I will say between Hodgins, Spector, and Blackshear, I give it even odds one of them makes the team.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Why care about the contract? Taiwan Jones and Matakevich and Kumerow combined total $5.49 million. Blackshear and Spector and Hodgins combined would total $2.15 million. You're talking about a difference of $3.3 million and you get much less contribution from the latter trio. Why would we want to quibble over that small amount of money in our Super Bowl window? The only question that matters is which trio gives this team the most value on gameday in 2022. It's the first trio, no contest. I will say between Hodgins, Spector, and Blackshear, I give it even odds one of them makes the team.

Nobody ever mentioned Spector

😂😂I'll again refer you to the 'lets keep Haack to hold ' thread

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.