My dog passed away

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Having lost a couple dogs in the past I know how difficult it is. Dogs really are the example how people should live--loyal friendly, love you no matter what. I know it is very tough, but you do get through it. Let little Wendell RIP--God bless

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry for your loss, it will get better. We had to put down our 15 year old right before Christmas, and it was the toughest 2 or 3 days of our lives. But when it was over, we ended up remembering him as he was in his prime. The good days of a dog far outweigh the bad parts at the end.

Congrats on your graduation,

You have my most sincere condolances. :wub: I read the thread topic, but did not read the post. No need to. Dogs are the BEST!

Sorry...but i feel inclined to share a couple of similar stories....

My parents got a dog (a G-Shep) when I went into Kindergarten. He died my senior year of HS. So...that was like losing my best friend for life.

I sadly saw our next dog a lovable mutt effectionately named "Jasper Podunk", struck by a car. That happened 25 years ago and i still get a lump in my throat when i see the image that is burned into my memory.

My wife and I now have a dox mix. 12 years old. VERY lovable and great personality. She is slowing down but still shows a spurt of energy that most dogs half her age would envy. She ruptured a disk 4 years ago, and we thought we were going to have to have her put down.....the morning we took her to the vet, we said our goodbyes, because we didn't think we would be bringing her home with us. Fortunately...the miracles of modern doggie medicine she healed back to normal.

I do much reading at this site - very little writing but felt I should add my reply. Obviously I'm a dog enthusiast and I feel bad for your loss of Wendall. I have to tell my recent story and apologize if it drags on. A week & a half ago, we moved from Charlotte NC to Huntsville, AL. I'm originally from Niagara Falls and have lived in the South for @ 25 years. An opportunity became available for this move further into Dixie & so far so good - little bit slower paced & just what we were looking for. About 10 weeks ago our 8 year old Golden Retriever -Lucky- came down with what the vet diagnosed as Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia which put his blood count "upside down"!! Over that time period, & several trips to the vet's office we had treated him with antibiotics, transfusions, and steroids and hoped that he was on the mend. Since he was in excellent shape prior to all this we thought he'd be with us in Alabama for at least a couple years. When it came down to the last weekend for the family and I to move, Lucky was too weak to even get up and his kidneys had completly shut down. I swear that he communicated to us that the past 8 years were terrific but it was time for us to go our seperate ways. We called the vet @ 7am and made the decision to put him down at 11:30 am - It must have been the slowest 4-1/2 hours we'd spend with him. With tears running down her face, the doctor performed this gut wrenching procedure. I will always remember his as "polite, gentle, & courteous" but I swear he chose the "most convenient" day of that weekend to pass away. I was alone with him on Friday, Sunday was the day to load the trucks and our vet was not available, & Monday was the closing of the house sale & the 9 hour trip to Alabama!!! I may have to name our next dog "Bama" in his memory.

Regards,

Pete

I don't know much about their life expectancy, but a friend imports Cavaliers. They are a wonderful, loving dog. They're not Shelties or Goldens, but...

My Golden died last summer after well over 14 years with me. I got him when I was 19, and he was the one constant presence in my life as I transitioned from teenager to thirtysomething, and he gave a lot more to me than I gave him. He taught me so much. I still miss him.

Someone suggested that you wait to get another dog. I think pretty much the opposite. I got Ozzie's replacement nine months before Oz had to be put down. Annie has never let me feel to badly over Oz... She is a blast, and we do agilty and some obedience. Of course, she worships the almighty frisbee and can catch it half of the time now...

Anyway, unless you plan on grad school, I would definately get another puppy, whether it be another Cavalier or maybe something a little different. Shelties (pound for pound, they're more rugged than any breed except Border Collies), Corgis and even Pomeranians are a lot of fun and are usually very apartment friendly (not unlike a Cavalier, of course). They are also good with kids, and while you might not be thinking of kids now, you probably will in the next 10-15 years.

If you start looking for a breeder, make sure you look for performance dogs, not confirmation dogs. A pretty dog is not necessarily a healthy dog, breeding for confirmation has made a mess of quite a few breeds... Lots of agility titles in a puppies lineage will usually indicate they aren't going to become lame. Obedience titles are good, too, as are field, and herding titles.

I don't know much about their life expectancy, but a friend imports Cavaliers.  They are a wonderful, loving dog.  They're not Shelties or Goldens, but...

My Golden died last summer after well over 14 years with me.  I got him when I was 19, and he was the one constant presence in my life as I transitioned from teenager to thirtysomething, and he gave a lot more to me than I gave him.  He taught me so much.  I still miss him.

Someone suggested that you wait to get another dog.  I think pretty much the opposite.  I got Ozzie's replacement nine months before Oz had to be put down.  Annie has never let me feel to badly over Oz...  She is a blast, and we do agilty and some obedience.  Of course, she worships the almighty frisbee and can catch it half of the time now...

Anyway, unless you plan on grad school, I would definately get another puppy, whether it be another Cavalier or maybe something a little different.  Shelties (pound for pound, they're more rugged than any breed except Border Collies), Corgis and even Pomeranians are a lot of fun and are usually very apartment friendly (not unlike a Cavalier, of course).  They are also good with kids, and while you might not be thinking of kids now, you probably will in the next 10-15 years.

If you start looking for a breeder, make sure you look for performance dogs, not confirmation dogs.  A pretty dog is not necessarily a healthy dog, breeding for confirmation has made a mess of quite a few breeds...  Lots of agility titles in a puppies lineage will usually indicate they aren't going to become lame.  Obedience titles are good, too, as are field, and herding titles.

335138[/snapback]

Solid advice, all the way through. Reputable breeders are a must in the purebred arena. Stay away from pet stores and puppy mills.

:wub: Bart, my sympathy. Anyone who trivializes your loss has not gone through it. It is a significant one, not easily set aside. How can a "mere animal" mean that much? As my mother was fond of saying, "The more I see of people, the better I like my dog."

:wub: Bart, my sympathy. Anyone who trivializes your loss has not gone through it. It is a significant one, not easily set aside. How can a "mere animal" mean that much? As my mother was fond of saying, "The more I see of people, the better I like my dog."

335304[/snapback]

Your mother was wise - Amen !

I had an old Shep/Husky mix die a year ago.  Someone hit him and left him lying on the side of the road.

That's abhorent. :wub: There's something wrong with someone who'd do that.

To Bart, so sorry about your loss. Dogs truly are great friends, and losing a friend is always difficult. ;)

My deepest and more sincere thanks to everyone who sent me and Wendell their blessings. Honestly, it was great to have someone else to "talk to" about this. I still get a little choked up when I think about him, but the initial grieving seems to have passed. My parents decided to get him cremated, so when I go home we can spread his ashes and say our final goodbyes.

I really feel the losses you have all had with animals now. I think it will sink in when I get home and there is no more little guy always getting under my feet or sitting patiently by the dishwasher each night, waiting for a plate to lick.

So I won't ramble on, but again, thanks so much to all of you. You really did make me feel better.

Bart

RIP W

We had to put down our German Shepard 2 years ago....Its hard...and it sucks....

We have a Lab now so get yourself another dog and don't deny yourself the love that a dog gives you even though its so hard after they pass on.

condolences brother....

sorry to hear about this animals death. i have a 1 year old cocker spaniel and we love her dearly. i would be devastated if she was injured or died.

dogs have a personality unlike another animal next to man. they are truely man's/woman's best friend.

but i guess we all die and dealing with such events is life itself. so we lean on experience in times like this and remember and reflect upon the good time we shared with an entity or in this case, a true friend who passed.

dude, a dog is definitely part of the family. i don't understand people who just call them pets. i never cried more than when my first dog had to be put to sleep b/c he broke his back (i was 16). i hope my newest addition (to the left) is with us for a long, long time.

sorry for your loss.