Why Big Tech Is Making a Big Play for Live Sports

notwoz

I hope that this link will be available to the forum. My NYT subscription allows for a certain number of "gift" articles that can be read by non-subscribers.

Much of this information has been discussed but the story does add some analysis to why the streaming services are setting their sites on programming like sports (i.e. Sunday Ticket). The story also adds a name to the mix that I haven't heard before ... and that's Google. The final paragraph also makes an interesting point; that winning the rights to major sports packages could be an "ego" thing for the streaming services.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/24/technology/sports-streaming-rights.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuomT1JKd6J17Vw1cRCfTTMQmqxCdw_PIxftm3iWka3DKDmweiPgYCIiG_EPKarskfMM0xSiAAcRdKrImQf10wapFPkNtVxLuooeBnN5NBRQJnr-JfzF82YPRD_d_-CX2b2K9JaB2nLS25BnebH3vDKKPzXEnIQZ6qcBvfUX523ZelvvBFLRziNFuzLx2UMABMDQFZyKItvDvGk8-bI3ANkeAn1FwD-JJWjjTnsqe7aYAdWhRAVHBTnB94AUs-Y8WeYNXbOukcUlWKIepiq4RC2doMI6jG5YwIoDfnLlrurfPwgeeFLDtTyXWTfrtXOjQTZ2_4Q&smid=url-share

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

notwoz, thanks for sharing!  

Not really new news, though: streaming companies want to acquire premium sports programming partly due to ego and partly as loss leaders.  

Since I already steam everything I watch, I'm okay with the Silicon Valley getting the rights to Sunday Ticket.  As long as the price doesn't go up.

This has been expected for almost a decade now. Remember when Yahoo paid $20 million to stream that Bills Jags game from the UK online? https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/yahoo-is-paying-20-million-to-broadcast-a-bills-jaguars-game/

That was tech companies testing out their technology and the business model around it. Then you had Amazon dip their toes in, then they acquired Thursday Night Football, Facebook with MLB, etc. But tech companies already own grocery stores, automobile companies, hospitals, insurance companies, appliance companies, and more, so expect that to continue as well. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.