Roxy Music 2022 Tour

T&C

1 hour ago, DrW said:

Saw Roxy Music once in 1980 in the"Kuppelsaal" in Hannover, which is normally a classical music venue (with chandeliers). Warm-up act was Wire, a pretty stark contrast to Roxy Music. Still, probably the third-best convert I ever attended (nobody beats Zappa at 1 and 2).

Never heard of Wire, I had to google them. I'll check them out tomorrow, its Sabres night here.

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is what I prefer (not the rail, necessarily; but the venue size).  I am tired of watching concerts on screens.  And paying over $100 to do that is no longer something I'm interested in doing.

I'll still do large venues, but the seats have to be in a spot I can clearly see the stage.  So lawn seats are a no.  Another thing I do, buy cheap seats, then the day of the concert, a couple hours before it starts, ,look on TM or LN to see what seats have not sold closer to the stage.  Then go sit there.  I'll look for a row with several open seats, on the chance that no one is going to buy a last minute ticket for that row/section. 

12 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

It used to be difficult because I'd often wait in line for 3 hours to get on the rail.  Then I saw people with folding chairs in line.  I asked what they did with the chairs when the doors opened. They said they'd put them in their car right before the doors.  Well that didn't always work because I lived nearby and would often Uber to the shows.  

I wonder if you would be allowed to carry one of these in...

Amazon.com: 2022 Upgraded Retractable Folding Stool

12 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I wonder if you would be allowed to carry one of these in...

Amazon.com: 2022 Upgraded Retractable Folding Stool

I don’t know why not. And if not they confiscate it.  It’s only $28. 

I do like the line atmosphere.  There was a bar across the street where I’d go over a few times for some cocktails before the show.  

19 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh yeah let me add King Crimson to my list. The show was awesome bet never sat amongst a more pretentious crowd.  Holy *****.  🙄

Gov't Mule was scheduled to play the Albany Palace next week.  Looks like Warren Haynes broke his scapula whilst vacationing in Costa Rica and their tour has been postponed.

17 hours ago, Rico said:

Ever see Steely Dan?

If you have a chance, don't (unless it's really a bucket list thing).    Fagen can't sing anymore.     

Saw them two years ago, was really disapointed in his vocals.   Gave him a second chance and went to another show, he was even worse.   He just couldn't hit notes and would stop singing in the middle of a verse.   Even he seemed bummed at times through his body language.     

The band was great, as always, but it really put a kabosh on the shows for me.   

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I don’t understand that *****. I was up front at a Widespread panic show.  I take tons of pics.

Fripp wants the audience to enjoy the music and live in the moment.    Not sit there and be focused on taking pics and other things.

He makes an announcement at the beginning of the show that people can take all the pics they want after the concert ends.   The band will pose for everyone who wants to snap photos of them, and the band will do likewise as they like to have pics of the audience.   But not during the concert.   

It's a really mature, 'music first' attitude IMO.   It bugs the hell out of me when so many in the crowd spend the concert focused on their phone at the expense of what's happening right there in front  of them.    

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Gov't Mule was scheduled to play the Albany Palace next week.  Looks like Warren Haynes broke his scapula whilst vacationing in Costa Rica and their tour has been postponed.

Yup.  Heard that. 

I had tix to see UM in Oakland last fall. Plane tix and hotel room.  Got my negative Covid test!  Then it was canceled the day before due to someone getting Covid. 😩

29 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

If you have a chance, don't (unless it's really a bucket list thing).    Fagen can't sing anymore.     

Saw them two years ago, was really disapointed in his vocals.   Gave him a second chance and went to another show, he was even worse.   He just couldn't hit notes and would stop singing in the middle of a verse.   Even he seemed bummed at times through his body language.     

I saw them & then Fagan about 10 years ago. They were tight, but it was a total sausage fest, no women, just snooty nerd-types.

20 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Fripp wants the audience to enjoy the music and live in the moment.    Not sit there and be focused on taking pics and other things.

He makes an announcement at the beginning of the show that people can take all the pics they want after the concert ends.   The band will pose for everyone who wants to snap photos of them, and the band will do likewise as they like to have pics of the audience.   But not during the concert.   

It's a really mature, 'music first' attitude IMO.   It bugs the hell out of me when so many in the crowd spend the concert focused on their phone at the expense of what's happening right there in front  of them.    

***** him!  I paid to see them.  If I want to take pics to relive the concert at a later that should be my prerogative. I’m up front. I keep my phone chest high so it doesn’t bother the people behind me. Now I wasn’t always so conscientious.  At an ABB show. On the floor maybe 10 people from the stage.  I take a pic. The behind me says “hey I’m trying to watch show!”  I say “what’s your e-mail?  I’ll send the pics to you”. He didn’t see the humor. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

***** him!  I paid to see them.  If I want to take pics to relive the concert at a later that should be my prerogative. I’m up front. I keep my phone chest high so it doesn’t bother the people behind me. Now I wasn’t always so conscientious.  At an ABB show. On the floor maybe 10 people from the stage.  I take a pic. The behind me says “hey I’m trying to watch show!”  I say “what’s your e-mail?  I’ll send the pics to you”. He didn’t see the humor. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I got busted taking pictures at a Rush show in 1987 (RPI Fieldhouse in Troy, NY - under 5K capacity).  Security dude nearly ripped my arm off and said, "gimme the f*cking film!!"  So I ripped the film out of my camera, purposely destroying it, and handed it over.  Prick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I got busted taking pictures at a Rush show in 1987 (RPI Fieldhouse in Troy, NY - under 5K capacity).  Security dude nearly ripped my arm off and said, "gimme the f*cking film!!"  So I ripped the film out of my camera, purposely destroying it, and handed it over.  Prick.

WTF?!?   Well I kind of understand. If I was as ugly as Geddy Lee I’d not want my pic taken either. 😂

EDIT:  What’s film?  🤔

Edited by Chef Jim

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well I’m only 25 so I wasn’t born yet. 🤷🏻‍♂️

image.png.8874623b8cb5f8934019d3f006b012e7.png

It was a camera similar to this.  I snuck it in by sticking in my pants in the front of my crotch.

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I got busted the same year for recording Lou Reed at Merriweather. They weren’t that nasty about it, they just kept my tape & told me I had to take the recorder back to the car. I was so bummed I ended up driving away.

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I got busted the same year for recording Lou Reed at Merriweather. They weren’t that nasty about it, they just kept my tape & told me I had to take the recorder back to the car. I was so bummed I ended up driving away.

That is a bummer.  I tried recording a concert once with a micro-cassette recorder.  I don't even remember who it was, but it sounded like complete sh!t, so I never tried again.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That is a bummer.  I tried recording a concert once with a micro-cassette recorder.  I don't even remember who it was, but it sounded like complete sh!t, so I never tried again.

I did it a few times in the last half of the 80’s with a Radio Shack cassette recorder lol, about $100 back then I think but it did have left-right heads for stereo. I recorded Bob Seger, Van Morrison, Stones Toronto 89 2nd show. The only one that turned out really good was Dylan & the Heartbreakers/Dead at RFK because I stood on the field about 15 feet from the left bank of speakers, super loud.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

That explains why I didn't get it either.   😛

Well just an FYI I’m one of the oldest guys here.  I refer to Gug as “the kid”. 😁

26 minutes ago, Rico said:

This is what I loved about The Dead. The encouraged tapers. Why we have access to so much of their live stuff. 

41134C10-116A-4C79-8AE6-4D122FB4F2C5.thumb.jpeg.a99a7890df965a641aa983edbeae4fb6.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Saw them at Tropicana Field for the Two Against Nature tour, I noticed it even back then. Still, I love the Dan and I'm good with youtube stuff here and there.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

You should have licked the film, Then handed it over.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Saw them at Tropicana Field for the Two Against Nature tour, I noticed it even back then. Still, I love the Dan and I'm good with youtube stuff here and there.

You should have licked the film, Then handed it over.

I was scared sh!tless!!!  I was only 16-years-old and this security guy was huge!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

This is what I loved about The Dead. The encouraged tapers. Why we have access to so much of their live stuff. 

They encouraged tapers because there was no way in hell you'd remember it if you were at the show.🤪

Edited by Shake_My_Head
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Agree. Band was top notch but Donald can't hit those high notes anymore. Saw them in Boston recently. They did the entire Aja album.

I just saw Sparks yesterday and was blown away by them. Not just by Russell Mael's voice which is still great but the songwriting of Ron Mael. The man is a genius.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.