Did anyone go to University but not make any friends there?

Another Fan

42 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

When I pledged, it was ZBT.  We had to change nationals due to some issues with ZBT though and became SAE.  I did go to a lot of parties at the Sig Tau house though.  

the only reason i ask is because two guys i grew up with were there in sig tau in the mid to later 90s.  i think both were president of the house at some point.  they had great parties at that place.  between that house and the shed, it was easy to get drunk.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, teef said:

the only reason i ask is because two guys i grew up with were there in sig tau in the mid to later 90s.  i think both were president of the house at some point.  they had great parties at that place.  between that house and the shed, it was easy to get drunk.

Chances are I would recognize them.  Maybe not names, but faces.  I spent more time in the Shed than in class.  By far.  I actually worked as a bouncer at the Shed for a while.  Oswego in the 90s was like a drunk college kid's disneyland.  So many bars and parties.  Always a cheap drink special and plenty of bars that would let you in with a library card as ID.  There were many times we would go out at happy hour, drink until 2:00, and have spent less than $10 somehow.  Most house parties were $3 or $4 all you could drink!  We made friends with a lot of bartenders and they would never charge us.  Good times!

29 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Chances are I would recognize them.  Maybe not names, but faces.  I spent more time in the Shed than in class.  By far.  I actually worked as a bouncer at the Shed for a while.  Oswego in the 90s was like a drunk college kid's disneyland.  So many bars and parties.  Always a cheap drink special and plenty of bars that would let you in with a library card as ID.  There were many times we would go out at happy hour, drink until 2:00, and have spent less than $10 somehow.  Most house parties were $3 or $4 all you could drink!  We made friends with a lot of bartenders and they would never charge us.  Good times!

i went to a couple of cup nights, and it was awesome.  i still make the claim that two day bender i had  in oswego was the most drunk i've even been on beer.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/21/2022 at 9:24 PM, Another Fan said:

I'm gonna guess the answer is probably no but I'll ask the question anyway.

For me I did not.  A combination of commuting to college, large University, immaturity, social anxiety, and course load.

But maybe I'll be surprised what stories people come up with here.  

I think I'm friends on facebook with a few but definitely not close.  I commuted to school and had a rather large group of H.S. friends that I still hang out with still.  I always say that I didn't REALLY go to college, I just went to class. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't have time to make "friends"; only class-mates. I was closer to my coworkers.

I worked full-time and went to school full-time. I also supported family members... while being self-sufficient.

I was invited out, but I barely had enough money to buy a coke, much less food. I remember making excuses that "i forgot my wallet" and would sit there as everyone ate burgers while i slow-sipped my drink. Eventually, I just stopped going. Felt pointless to just "hang out" 

The first time I ever got drunk was the day after my dissertation.

I always wondered how my classmates were able to party so much. Basically do nothing. It never occurred to me that they were incurring crippling debt. I graduated debt free.

College was grind for me, probably the worst phase of my life. I hear about all the great stories and sometimes wonder If I did the right thing...

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I think I'm friends on facebook with a few but definitely not close.  I commuted to school and had a rather large group of H.S. friends that I still hang out with still.  I always say that I didn't REALLY go to college, I just went to class. 

Ummmm, I’m afraid I got that backwards. I went to college, but I rarely went to class. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

I always wondered how my classmates were able to party so much. Basically do nothing. It never occurred to me that they were incurring crippling debt. I graduated debt free.

Graduating debt free puts you in the 1%.  Same as my daughters.  While their friends took fancy vacations in their formative years our

family's vacations were primarily visiting other family members.  About 5 years after they graduated, they both thanked me and their mom

for arranging to have them graduate college with no debt.

and yes, I keep up with college friends on a regular basis.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.