Did McDermott's seat just get a little warmer?

Simon

15 hours ago, Steptide said:

That 17 year drought made some fans really impatient. 4 yrs with playoffs under McDermott, one afc championship game, and some fans think this team HAS to win a supowbowl this year. Sadly that's not how it works. There's tons of examples of great coaches/players who should've won superbowls that didn't, or it took them a long time. 

I think it is the complete opposite. The drought has made fans too complacent with just being relevant and not sucking. That merely making the playoffs then peeing down your leg and wasting potential is somehow acceptable because we used to suck years ago.  

A very large chunk of the fan base does not have a winning mentality. The drought breeded a lot of fans that feel not sucking is success. It's not.  

It's most likely best for the Superbowl or nothing fans to become bandwagon fans of the Superbowl favorite then.

Honestly I wish they would, I support them in the choice to jump ship and go buy some Rams gear if it helps them feel good. 

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I think it is the complete opposite. The drought has made fans too complacent with just being relevant and not sucking. That merely making the playoffs then peeing down your leg and wasting potential is somehow acceptable because we used to suck years ago.  

A very large chunk of the fan base does not have a winning mentality. The drought breeded a lot of fans that feel not sucking is success. It's not.  

Why do people like you feel the need to question the passion for this team and the desire for them to win a championship of any posters who disagree with you? Personally, I agree with few of your posts and, while I question your critical thinking skills, I don't question if you want a championship as much as I do or any of the fans I personally know...

37 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

No, anybody who thinks otherwise just has a different opinion...

Your right it's just an opinion just like those that feel he's somehow entitled to be here no matter what happens each year apparently.

Like I've said all along just with players that have come and gone here through the years, it's not about personal like or dislike for the person, it's about the business side of the situation.

And yes credit McDermott for transforming this team from a perenial bottom feeder/forever 7-9 type of squad to where they are now but there's no way the Pegula's are throwing around this type of money the last few years to be content with division titles and losing in the divisional/AFCCG. It's SB or bust now and everybody behind the 4 walls in Orchard Park knows this.

Don't get me wrong here... as I absolutely hated Buffalo in a prevent defense with 13 seconds to go! 

Even Edmunds and all the backers were 10-15 yards off the line for that series.

I also hate that prevent defense as in this case it prevented a win.

Buffalo had around a 92%+ chance of winning that Chiefs game on that kick off.

I can't deny, I wanted someone crucified for calling that defense.

Then to watch the Bengals in almost the same position win the next game by staying in a base defense...

Stuff happens and I'm almost over it...just don't do that again! 

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Why do people like you feel the need to question the passion for this team and the desire for them to win a championship of any posters who disagree with you? Personally, I agree with few of your posts and, while I question your critical thinking skills, I don't question if you want a championship as much as I do or any of the fans I personally know...

It's not people that disagree, it's what certain people say in response or how they justify their opinions. It's the response that McDermott is untouchable because of what the several coaches before him were  like.  It's the response of "some of you forget what the drought was like" or it's the mere fact that people still bring up the drought when things go bad to justify its not as bad as it used to be. 

I'm not saying all, no way not at all.  But this thought process is pretty prevalent. 

Also I don't think I've questioned the passion for the team, I've certainly questioned an unwillingness for some to criticize the team/players, which is different.  

I don't question the desire to win a Chamionship, but many lack the willingness to make the hard calls that need to happen to get there, or are too emotionally attached to specific guys. Overall, the fan base itself tends to be more emotionally attached than other sports fan bases which has its positives but also negatives.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.