Reportedly Brian Flores admitted to Tua that they were pursuing Watson after the pre season finale

BuffaloBills1998

Looks like a huge nothingburger here. The way I’m reading this is that Tua asked Flores if the rumors that the team was trying to trade for Watson were true and he told him that they were.  Okay.  Not exactly a damning interaction.  I think we all know that was the was truth.  The upshot to Tua was that he needed to step it up or he was going to get replaced.  Again.  Duh.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends if I am actually liable for the things I'm being accused of (and it is liable, not guilty, you are not guilty of civil offences). If you are liable (i.e. the allegations are true) your best bet is almost always to settle. The one exception is if you think you can just out spend your opponent and run up costs to the extent that they can't afford the risk of losing. But given this issue I strongly suspect that Flores will have attorneys working pro bono, so that probably isn't advisable. 

EDIT: Florio on the Superbowl pre-game did suggest that the NFL would be likely to try and take out of the courts and settle in private arbitration. 

The point I was making was that they were defending themselves. If they think that a settlement is in their best interests then that is a way of self defense, or at least looking out for their best interests. 

Personally, I think that they are more concerned with the bad publicity of being thought of as racists than anything else. Imo Flores is a bit of a jerk, but whether he is or not won't matter in the long run. I agree with you in the sense that the NFL will likely cave. They can afford to.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends if I am actually liable for the things I'm being accused of (and it is liable, not guilty, you are not guilty of civil offences). If you are liable (i.e. the allegations are true) your best bet is almost always to settle. The one exception is if you think you can just out spend your opponent and run up costs to the extent that they can't afford the risk of losing. But given this issue I strongly suspect that Flores will have attorneys working pro bono, so that probably isn't advisable. 

EDIT: Florio on the Superbowl pre-game did suggest that the NFL would be likely to try and take out of the courts and settle in private arbitration. 

It’s not just limited to being liable.  The analysis also must include the potential  for an adverse outcome regardless of whether you feel you are liable or not.  That consideration involves assessing your defense, the likability/believability of the players on both sides, and the impact their testimony will have in front oh whomever is deciding the case. 

Whatever else might be going on behind the scenes, I’d think part of the analysis would be that Brian Flores is on some level, an excellent motivator of men.  He reached the pinnacle of coaching at a young age with no prior coordinator experience.  On the other side, you have corporate America and a guy surely to be positioned as a greedy billionaire with money to burn, and all the titillating racial dynamics that go with it in 2022. 

It will be interesting to see if Flores would agree to a private, out of court resolution.   Given the nature of the complaint, I’d think Flores would want to avoid that if his desire is to be compensated and effect change in the system. 

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It’s not just limited to being liable.  The analysis also must include the potential  for an adverse outcome regardless of whether you feel you are liable or not.  That consideration involves assessing your defense, the likability/believability of the players on both sides, and the impact their testimony will have in front oh whomever is deciding the case. 

Whatever else might be going on behind the scenes, I’d think part of the analysis would be that Brian Flores is on some level, an excellent motivator of men.  He reached the pinnacle of coaching at a young age with no prior coordinator experience.  On the other side, you have corporate America and a guy surely to be positioned as a greedy billionaire with money to burn, and all the titillating racial dynamics that go with it in 2022. 

It will be interesting to see if Flores would agree to a private, out of court resolution.   Given the nature of the complaint, I’d think Flores would want to avoid that if his desire is to be compensated and effect change in the system. 

If you are liable the best advice is always to settle unless you think you can just ratchet up costs to force the other side into submission financially. That was the point I was making and I stand absolutely by that. Where those other considerations come into play is where you might not think you are liable but think that there remain good reasons for settling for the reasons you indicate. I would never advise someone who says "look I am liable for this but think I can win in court" to actually fight it. Can you do that and win? Sure. But overwhelmingly in those cases if you are liable the evidence ends up showing you are liable. Chancing it is generally a bad strategy. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you are liable the best advice is always to settle unless you think you can just ratchet up costs to force the other side into submission financially. That was the point I was making and I stand absolutely by that. Where those other considerations come into play is where you might not think you are liable but think that there remain good reasons for settling for the reasons you indicate. I would never advise someone who says "look I am liable for this but think I can win in court" to actually fight it. Can you do that and win? Sure. But overwhelmingly in those cases if you are liable the evidence ends up showing you are liable. Chancing it is generally a bad strategy. 

I don’t disagree with your premise, I was simply pointing out that a settlement in and of itself doesn’t mean the defendant feels that they were liable or that the action was right and just.     

• Agree 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:50 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Regardless though it seems like Flores created a toxic work environment. I think both parties were at fault, one being the front office and the other Flores. I doubt though that he coaches another game in the NFL. Maybe not even in College

All THREE parties were at fault - coaching, front office and ownership.

On 2/13/2022 at 5:54 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Brian Flores's biggest enemy is Brian Flores.

Regardless of what he thought, he works for the owner.  Sure you cant blatantly throw games.  Even though the delivery seemed off by Ross,  

Flores went against him at every turn.  In the meantime, mishandled the relationship with his players.  Those are mistakes first time coaches and really any manager could do.  That is why many get 2nd attempts.  If you dont win those decisions become larger issues.  Flores mismanaged his stay with Miami.  He showed an ability to get man to play hard for him.  The other aspects of a head coach he failed at.  Not accepting that will result in him not getting hired again.  That is not because of a lawsuit or skin color.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.