The Leadership of Josh Allen

OnTheRocks

2 hours ago, OnTheRocks said:

I love Josh Allen.  One of the first things that jumped out at me was how quickly he became comfortable as a locker room guy.  When he was drafted there was some question about how he would adjust to the NFL immediately after there was a report that while he was in high school or college he had quoted lyrics from a song on twitter that the cancel culture was wanting to smother him over.  Even during his first two seasons when he struggled to develop his accuracy, he just looked the part of a guy that was going to lead this team to the next level.

So the question was put to me this morning by a Cowboys fan who is frustrated with Dak Prescott.  He's a top NFL QB.  But he's missing something in the maturity and leadership.  Something that Aaron Rodgers has.  Tom Brady has.  Peyton Manning had.  Jim Kelly, John Elway, and Dan Marino all had it.  And that's this, they didn't hesitate to grab a lineman by the facemask and get in their face to tell them mistakes are not to be tolerated.  Get after a WR if they run a bad route or read the defense poorly and don't cut a route short, or adjust and go long.  I don't recall ever seeing Josh get in a guys face over a mistake.

I hadn't given it any thought but wanted to throw it out there for discussion.  Is Josh Allen too Buddy-Buddy with the men he's leading? 

Is it necessary for that kind of leadership to get to the next level?  

Not sure any of those guys would grab a lineman by the face mask 4 year into their careers either.  File this post away for another 5 years or so, then revisit and see where things stand.

Personally I thought what made most of those guys leaders was more their work ethic than anything.  So far from what we've seen Allen also has that work ethic so that bodes well.

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Josh takes responsibility for everything and with how well he plays it's contagious. There's been multiple times where a play went wrong and Josh will take responsibility for it but his teammate does as well.

Allen has an uncanny gift of making people want to do well so as not to disappoint him.  When I first started my professional career I had a boss that was this way. I can't put a finger on a single reason why it was important for me not to let this guy down but it was. I suspect that in the case of Allen it's the culmination of hundreds of small things that Allen does that when combined gives off a powerful aura of leadership.

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

Josh would never blame the Refs like Prescott did yesterday night.   You made a foolish play by running the ball; don't blame the ref for grabbing the ball and placing it at the right place. 

Don’t want to sidetrack this thread, but there is a correction to be made. 

Dak didn’t make a foolish play. He ran the play his coaches called. He should have handed the ball to the ref rather than putting it on the ground. 

but Dak didn’t make a foolish play by running the play his coaches called. 

3 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Don’t want to sidetrack this thread, but there is a correction to be made. 

Dak didn’t make a foolish play. He ran the play his coaches called. He should have handed the ball to the ref rather than putting it on the ground

but Dak didn’t make a foolish play by running the play his coaches called. 

Which was foolish.  Or ignorant.  Neither is a good look.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.