Wonderlic Test Eliminated from Pre-Draft Process

Wayne Cubed

On 1/5/2022 at 11:01 AM, RyanC883 said:

totally ridiculous.  

Can teams have players take them during a pre-draft visit?  

I was wondering the same thing i wouldn't think that you would want a multi Million dollar QB that can't think quickly or decipher a defense i would think that this could d be a NFL thing to drop the test but the teams can still give it if they decide to to protect their best interests .

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/5/2022 at 11:16 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From taking the Wonderlic samples available online, it struck me as really a kind of “SAT lite”.    Players who were specifically coached for it and academically successful would do well, and players who were not coached for it and not particularly academically successful would not, but it really wouldn’t test the football smarts and football-specific memory teams really care about.  

I think they’ve decided (and took long enough) that Wonderlic really doesn’t have a lot of bearing on a player’s football success, so why do it?

Agreed. It's the same reason that a lot of colleges and universities aren't using SAT scores in their admission process. The test was designed to predict one's probability of success in college, but research has demonstrated that it doesn't do what it was designed to do.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

in the past
1. Legacy ties 2. Political connections 3. Objective Academic Measures 4. Subjective academic measures 5. Geography

current state
1. Legacy ties 2. Political connections 3. Identity. 4. Geography 5. Subjective academic measures

Sounds like a recipe for success.  No wonder some people don't want to hire them.  

On 1/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No, Allen higher...at least according to this:

Wonderlic scores for 2018 QBs

Josh Allen: 37

Josh Rosen: 29

Sam Darnold: 28

Baker Mayfield: 25

Lamar Jackson: 13

He was being facetious.  Before the draft, Josh Rosen was touted by many as the most NFL ready QB.  He was smart and philosophical, a real "Rennaisance man."  Our Josh Allen just didn't get that much attention.  In the draft,, a number of observers thought Buffalo should have drafted Josh Rosen.  Hence, he was seen as the "right" Josh.  Ridgeway likes Josh Allen and agrees the Bills made the right choice.  He's using sarcasm too diss all who thought otherwise a few years ago.  Josh Allen was indeed the smartest QB in that draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.