does anyone know why the bears cut gandy?

the bears are talent thin and marc colombo, their first round LT pick from a couple of years ago, is always hurt. their gm, jerry angelo, has had problems assembling a good team, but no one has ever said he doesn't have an eye for talent. i do know that their OC was a bit of a disaster last year, but still. my question is, why would he cut an LT in the middle of the season? has anyone seen him play? is this an instance of us signing the equivalent of marcus spriggs (as miami did a while back) or corey louchiey (as atlanta did a number of years ago) and praying for the best?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the bears are talent thin and marc colombo, their first round LT pick from a couple of years ago, is always hurt.  their gm, jerry angelo, has had problems assembling a good team, but no one has ever said he doesn't have an eye for talent. i do know that their OC was a bit of a disaster last year, but still.  my question is, why would he cut an LT in the middle of the season? has anyone seen him play?  is this an instance of us signing the equivalent of marcus spriggs (as miami did a while back) or corey louchiey (as atlanta did a number of years ago) and praying for the best?

326736[/snapback]

Corey Louchey! Ouch!!!

He was the RT equivalent of RJ! The guy was a specimen, and looked like a great OT. The problem was that he was simply awful.

I dont know how good Gandy is, but can he PLEASE be better than Louchey?! :w00t:

I don't know why he was cut. Why did we get rid of Parker? Everyone here said he sucked, but then he went on to play pretty darn well as his career progressed.

I don't know why he was cut. Why did we get rid of Parker? Everyone here said he sucked, but then he went on to play pretty darn well as his career progressed.

326748[/snapback]

Good point todd, but Gandy is a Left Tackle. You never see them traded, let alone cut.

If he is a good sub as was Price, I will be satisfied.

Gandy was the Bears LT in 2003 and was moved to RG in 2004. He had a severe hamstring injury in October, basically ending his season and the Bears were looking to activate Columbo back to the active roster. Gandy, in his final year of his contract was then waived to make room.

In my understanding, Gandy is not necessarily a left tackle. He's played Guard as well and seems to be somewhat of a "Flex" player. I thought the Bears dumped him due to an early season injury last year but I could be wrong.

the bears are talent thin and marc colombo, their first round LT pick from a couple of years ago, is always hurt.  their gm, jerry angelo, has had problems assembling a good team, but no one has ever said he doesn't have an eye for talent. i do know that their OC was a bit of a disaster last year, but still.  my question is, why would he cut an LT in the middle of the season? has anyone seen him play?  is this an instance of us signing the equivalent of marcus spriggs (as miami did a while back) or corey louchiey (as atlanta did a number of years ago) and praying for the best?

326736[/snapback]

Uhh, because he was a backup that sucked.

Just a hunch.

http://kffl.com/article.php/4483/271

KFFL Analysis of NFL Draft

Chicago Bears Team Needs

February 25, 2004

OLT Mike Gandy showed enough over the previous two seasons to determine that he is not the long-term answer as QB Rex Grossman's blind-side protector. Gandy was adequate in the run game, but his natural position is a guard where the Bears have a glut of players fighting for two starting positions.

Gandy is a restricted free agent in the offseason of 2004 and will likely be back next season, but not at left tackle. The team will look to fill this spot in draft or free agency, as it is one of the team's primary needs heading into next year.

I know that the Bills state otherwise, but I still expect to see Teague at LT when the season opens.

326764[/snapback]

Our situation at left tackle is fine, more than fine and you would see it if you were a smart fan. Only true Bills fans can see the Emperor's cloth....err, I mean the great left tackle. Aren't you a true Bills fan? :w00t:

In my understanding, Gandy is not necessarily a left tackle. He's played Guard as well and seems to be somewhat of a "Flex" player. I thought the Bears dumped him due to an early season injury last year but I could be wrong.

326771[/snapback]

This makes him almost sound like a clone of Price, no?

Our situation at left tackle is fine, more than fine and you would see it if you were a smart fan.  Only true Bills fans can see the Emperor's cloth....err, I mean the great left tackle.  Aren't you a true Bills fan? :w00t:

326790[/snapback]

Yeah, I suppose that I am reading into things too much.

But wait, why else would I, a Bills fanatic, be here? :w00t:

Did TD acquire him because he has experience playing most positions along the line -- or did McNally see something that makes him think he can plug him in as a quality starter at LT?

326779[/snapback]

An alternative possibility is that desperate times calls for desperate measures. I think the conversation went something like this:

MM: Tom, we have to do something about left tackle if you aren't going to pay Otis

JM: I agree Tom, if this gets anyworse, I'll have to suit up.

TD: Agreed but who do you want?

MM: I dunno

JM: I dunno

TD: How about this Gandy guy?

JM, MM: He Sucks

TD: Yeah but he sucks less than the other guys we could get

MM: Well, if that is the best you can do, OK, besides, it is JM's butt not mine.

JM: Thanks, thanks alot.

TD: Okay, its agreed, we pick up Gandy and I'll tell JP's agent to ramp up his catastrophic injury insurance.

JM, TD, MM: *sigh*

My brother-in-law, a Bears fan, basically told me that Gandy wasn't anything special. More suited to Guard than Tackle, and probably not good enough to be a starter at that. He had no love for the guy and was fairly happy to see him go.

Not much of a ringing endorsement, but you never know with JMac.