Pet Insulin?

Mike in Horseheads

19 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Hey guys, does anyone have a dog or cat that has diabetes ? Found out today our cat Lucy has it and was wondering where ya purchase the insulin and find it shipped dependable and most reasonably priced.  Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas!

Sorry to hear this, Mike.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry to hear Mike—we have an 11 yr old tabby named Sam, who’s been diagnosed for about 6 mos now. We get our insulin from our vet, it costs about 60 bucks for a 3-4 month supply (depends on his sugar levels and changing dosages); we recently had to up his dosage to 2.5 mls 2x/day as he started to lose a lot of weight and it wasn’t being managed well on half that. We’ve found that a good sign to tell that something’s up is when his water usage increases a lot and his pee becomes “sticky” in his litter box. Hope you guys are able to manage good 👍🏻!

We have a 12-year old Maltese shih tzu mix that has diabetes.  It’s expensive. He’s on 7 units twice a day. The insulin pens are obtained via regular pharmacy, as he uses human insulin. I can sometimes get the pharmacy to accept a GoodRx coupon which saves about 30%. The needles are about $1 a day for the two shots needed. 

We had the vet put a monitor on him and that’s how we adjusted his dosage. He would only keep the monitor on a couple days before pulling it off but we were able to get enough data after a couple tries. 

It’s expensive and it limits our options when we need to leave him with others when we travel. I thought about just putting him down, but my wife wasn’t having it. He’s adjusted pretty well to the whole thing. The “shot” is nothing more than a pin prick and he’s really good about it because he gets a treat after 🤣

We use green beans and sweet peppers as a healthy snack instead of carrots now. 

It seemed overwhelming but it’s pretty simple and he’s doing fine. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

We have a 12-year old Maltese shih tzu mix that has diabetes.  It’s expensive. He’s on 7 units twice a day. The insulin pens are obtained via regular pharmacy, as he uses human insulin. I can sometimes get the pharmacy to accept a GoodRx coupon which saves about 30%. The needles are about $1 a day for the two shots needed. 

We had the vet put a monitor on him and that’s how we adjusted his dosage. He would only keep the monitor on a couple days before pulling it off but we were able to get enough data after a couple tries. 

It’s expensive and it limits our options when we need to leave him with others when we travel. I thought about just putting him down, but my wife wasn’t having it. He’s adjusted pretty well to the whole thing. The “shot” is nothing more than a pin prick and he’s really good about it because he gets a treat after 🤣

We use green beans and sweet peppers as a healthy snack instead of carrots now. 

It seemed overwhelming but it’s pretty simple and he’s doing fine. 

Thanks! We are also not on the put down team yet.  Ya to have laugh when they ask if the cat is lethargic, FFS cats sleep 16-20 hrs a day SMH

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

UPDATE: Pharmacist said to go with generic version at Tops. So instead of 300+ a month 100+ a month. Biggest pain in the ass is that it does restrict what Ms MIH can do since Lucy only will let her and I near her or she hides. Thanks again to @WotAGuy for sharing his experiences.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.