Get Diggs the Ball

Billsfan1972

Yes I've posted Diggs #'s being down and was told that was due to coverages and all the options Allen has.....  Well down another this week (thanks Cole) and time to put up or shut up (i.e. Daboll draw up plays to get it to him).

Outside the Jets & Texans games, Diggs, like the offense just not like 2020.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2976212/stefon-diggs

vs. Peers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16800/davante-adams

vs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2977187/cooper-kupp

vs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/4262921/justin-jefferson

Justin Jefferson was the pick the Bills gave up for him.

I think Diggs is great, just don't think the Bills are using him to his full potential.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

As has been talked about many times this season on here, there doesn't seem to be any movement at all pre-snap.  This might be the week to put the receivers in motion more, line Diggs up in the slot every now and then - force him the ball like Josh did at times last season

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

As has been talked about many times this season on here, there doesn't seem to be any movement at all pre-snap.  This might be the week to put the receivers in motion more, line Diggs up in the slot every now and then - force him the ball like Josh did at times last season

And all good QB's do with their #1. 

Has been very frustrating watching the Bills and there use of Diggs....  Outside of course fade patterns inside the 10 yard line......😜 

BTW as per Beasley being out.  He is 44th in receiving yards and 40th in catches for first down.

Edited by Billsfan1972

I just hope that Diggs stays out of his own head with the contact and grabbing. The refs are not going to call PI and defensive holding on the patriots in Foxborough. Not going to happen. 

So he needs to block out the noise, work through the contact, and focus on the contested catches. When he starts getting frustrated, he seems to get too involved with the pushing and shoving and loses some focus. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

I think we kind of ran him into the ground last year, and it really hurt us in the postseason.

Might be a little by design not to overuse him, especially with a longer season.  But , if there's a week to do it, this is it.

I see the strategy but if don't start using him we won't have to worry about the post season lol

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think we kind of ran him into the ground last year, and it really hurt us in the postseason.

Might be a little by design not to overuse him, especially with a longer season.  But , if there's a week to do it, this is it.

Sure just like Kupp, Jefferson, Adams......  Why are there always excuses?  

The fact is the Bills are not designing plays to get him open and the ball (or has he regressed?).

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Sure just like Kupp, Jefferson, Adams......  Why are there always excuses?  

The fact is the Bills are not designing plays to get him open and the ball (or has he regressed?).

I think the biggest factor is how D's are playing us this year- two deep soft zones daring us to run.  Last year they were daring Josh to beat them, and he obliged.  Need to continue to establish the run to soften up the pass D, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think the biggest factor is how D's are playing us this year- two deep soft zones daring us to run.  Last year they were daring Josh to beat them, and he obliged.  Need to continue to establish the run to soften up the pass D, IMO.

But at this point this is now just very poor adjusting by Daboll - there are a lot of teams with very good quarterbacks, receivers, etc who are having great seasons and are able to get their guys open.  The Bills don't seem to be doing that as much.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Again great receivers can beat any coverage.  Why always excuses?

Diggs                     2021              2020     Diff

Avg Catches          5.86               7.94      -26.2%

Avg Targets            9.14               10.38    -11.9%

Avg Yds/catch       12.3                12.1         +1.7%

Avg Yds/gm            71.93             95.94    -25.0%

TDs                           8                     8          Even in two less games

Diggs is still having a good year, but I’ve felt like he’s been underutilized all year. For whatever reason, Josh isn’t looking to him as much this year. I also think the creativity on offense hasn’t been there as much this year either. I wish they’d use Diggs more like Cooper Kupp. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Diggs is still having a good year, but I’ve felt like he’s been underutilized all year. For whatever reason, Josh isn’t looking to him as much this year. I also think the creativity on offense hasn’t been there as much this year either. I wish they’d use Diggs more like Cooper Kupp. 

No arguing that he's had a good year.  I want a great year.  And yes like the top 5 receiver I think he is.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

But at this point this is now just very poor adjusting by Daboll - there are a lot of teams with very good quarterbacks, receivers, etc who are having great seasons and are able to get their guys open.  The Bills don't seem to be doing that as much.  

It's my opinion that Daboll is hampered by poor oline play.  When teams are playing us with light boxes and we still can't run it's a talent problem.  Forces us to be predictably one-dimensional and overy dependant on Allen.

28 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

This is a great point. Last year (until the end of the season) the news on Josh was "make him be a QB" and stay in the pocket. I remember new england giving him the Lamar treatment. Basically just forming a shell around the pocket and just standing there to make sure he didn't run. 

Just now, Captain_Quint said:

This is a great point. Last year (until the end of the season) the news on Josh was "make him be a QB" and stay in the pocket. I remember new england giving him the Lamar treatment. Basically just forming a shell around the pocket and just standing there to make sure he didn't run. 

Yep.  Defenses have adjusted and we have no counter.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.