Sean McDermott Ranks 5th Among Coaches on EDJ Sports list

JohnNord

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Roster make-up - yep, partly on him because I do think overall McDermott has the power to veto anything the front office wants to do but this is a Brandon Beane issue for the most part. The weaknesses on the roster are on the personnel guys. 

Lack of player development - who hasn't developed? The Bills generally do a good job in this regard.

In game adjustments - has been mixed at times I agree. Think they have done it well some weeks, less well others. 

Overall regression of the team - the fact is it has been performance in close games, once a McDermott hallmark, that has hurt us this year. Is coaching part of that? Absolutely. But execution by players in key moments is too (and by the refs in Tampa). 

I've never really regarded great performance in close games as a McDermott hallmark.    They've always been a mistake prone offense and a very penalty-prone team in general.    It's hard to be both of those things and be consistent in close games, IMO.    That's not their identity.   What they've done best over the past 2 years is probably get out to early leads and then hold them.    That's their identity and it's a significant part of opposing game plans to get a lead on the Bills because they are a much different and more vulnerable team playing from behind.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've never really regarded great performance in close games as a McDermott hallmark.    They've always been a mistake prone offense and a very penalty-prone team in general.    It's hard to be both of those things and be consistent in close games, IMO.    That's not their identity.   What they've done best over the past 2 years is probably get out to early leads and then hold them.    That's their identity and it's a significant part of opposing game plans to get a lead on the Bills because they are a much different and more vulnerable team playing from behind.

Their record in 1 score games before this season was very good. It has gone to pot this year.

41 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Ok, I missed 1, but that decision didn't win the game, did it? They missed out on 9 points by going for it on 4th. In this game, Staley's "big balls" lost them the game and now they're 2 games behind KC. The last game was just that, the last game.  Seems coach didn't adjust and thought they could do the same thing. Bit him in the ass. I stand by my comment that the complainers would have blamed McDermott if he did the same and lost. That's my main point.

Well I guess they shouldn't have started Justin Herbert, because that decision didn't win the game for them either.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Their record in 1 score games before this season was very good. It has gone to pot this year.

I guess the point is despite their record in close games, we have never been a ball-control, don't beat ourselves kind of team.  I sorta get that.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

They missed out on 9 and got 7.  Let’s also recall that they had a TD except for an incredibly fluky play where the receiver, untouched, fell to the ground and concussed himself causing him to drop the ball. Outcome based judging is worthless.  

It’s amazing to me that so many people think that the key to knocking off the 5 time defending division champs is to play them straight up.  Spoiler alert…it’s not.  They didn’t lose because of poor coaching.  They lost because a HOF QB coached by a HOF coach started making big plays to his HOF WR and HOF TE.  It’s not the first time, and it won’t be the last.

The Chargers 1st drive started with an awesome return by the kick returner. They get near the goal line by dominating the chiefs in the run game. They get there and throw three straight passes for basically no yds. Then, they go for it on 4th. No points. I thought they should have kept running. IMO they messed up by not doing what got them there. KC had trouble with the run that drive, so they try to trick the chiefs by passing. 4 straight times. That's poor coaching. So yeah they lost due to poor coaching decisions. I said this prior to the 4th down play. That is not outcome based judging. Never said he shouldn't go for it, just not that many times. Especially if it's not working for you. Yes, even with the "fluke" play. You can applaud the bravado all you want, but coaching decisions lost this game. Inside the KC 5 yd line 3 times and no points.

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Well I guess they shouldn't have started Justin Herbert, because that decision didn't win the game for them either.

I guess the point is despite their record in close games, we have never been a ball-control, don't beat ourselves kind of team.  I sorta get that.

I guess we shouldn't have started Allen vs the Bucs. Right?!? Come on with that crap! If you don't have anything serious to add, you could have kept that silly comment under wraps. 🤮

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I guess we shouldn't have started Allen vs the Bucs. Right?!? Come on with that crap! If you don't have anything serious to add, you could have kept that silly comment under wraps. 🤮

Lol that’s your argument. Glad you saw how terrible it was. Thanks for playing.

• Eyeroll 1

On 12/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, JohnNord said:

Many people have chastised Sean McDermott’s “conservative” decisions with the Bills.  It turns out that he’s one of the best at following what the analytics suggest.  

EDJ sports and analytics company created a model to analyze every coaching decisions.  The CCI stat specifically evaluated coaches on 4th down decisions.  

McDermott ranks 5th on this list among coaches overall.   14th in CCI and 4th in EPI.

Like Greg says below, he’s far from perfect, but he’s also not the Richard Jauron or Doug Marrone that some make him out to be.

At least some on the outside know how good we have it. Pretty crazy how some fans don't appreciate him.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… their offense has been quite sloppy since Daboll arrived… last year they were def better, but the mental errors and just unfocused mistakes have returned. 

They caught the league off-guard last year.  Reminiscent of the 1988 Bengals, IMO.  More than the sum of their parts in the moment........but difficult to sustain once their flaws were exposed(and not addressed).  

But yeah they are ultimately a reflection of their wicky-wacky OC on that side of the ball.......who for 3 downs is basically their offensive head coach.    Then 4th down comes and McDermott has to decide between serving the identity of the offense he's allowed into existence.........and the defense which plays best in defense of leads that force opponents to throw the ball..........or his own tendency for conservative "feels".      

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They caught the league off-guard last year.  Reminiscent of the 1988 Bengals, IMO.  More than the sum of their parts in the moment........but difficult to sustain once their flaws were exposed(and not addressed).  

But yeah they are ultimately a reflection of their wicky-wacky OC on that side of the ball.......who for 3 downs is basically their offensive head coach.    Then 4th down comes and McDermott has to decide between serving the identity of the offense he's allowed into existence.........and the defense which plays best in defense of leads that force opponents to throw the ball..........or his own tendency for conservative "feels".      

Agreed, I posted in another thread about this exact issue. His decisions are more questionable than you'd like along with struggling to adjust too often. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

The fans arguing this are funny. They give no reasons, only passionate displeasure. It's pretty much the opposite of an analytical approach.

How does that differ from what you always post?

I mean other than this thread being about HC decision making while you are always talking about your dislike of Bills fans. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it's his fault that they are underachieving..........they should have stomped teams like Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.

But the one score thing has really underscored his bad "feels" on kicking decisions this year.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.