Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

Hmmm: Putin withdraws from annual hockey game he established

Vladimir Putin has created renewed concern around his allegedly deteriorating health after the Russian leader abruptly pulled out of an annual ice hockey game this week, RadarOnline.com has learned.

https://radaronline.com/p/vladimir-putin-pulls-out-annual-ice-hockey-game-health-concerns/

43 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Vladimir Putin has created renewed concern around his allegedly deteriorating health after the Russian leader abruptly pulled out of an annual ice hockey game this week, RadarOnline.com has learned.

https://radaronline.com/p/vladimir-putin-pulls-out-annual-ice-hockey-game-health-concerns/

What a shame. What other elderly narcissist is going to score eight goals against people who are scared that they might be drinking polonium tea if they defend him?

Edited by ChiGoose

10 hours ago, B-Man said:

Concern?? How about hope and excitement! I hope the POS gets Ebola and rots to death 

Olena Zelenska, wife of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, traveled to Paris France for a three-day visit December 12-14. As reported by Le Monde, “Members of the Ukrainian government will also come, including Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal, and several ministers in charge of reconstruction, including Yulia Svyrydenko (economy), Oleksandr Kubrakov (infrastructure) and German Galushchenko (energy).” However, social media has erupted today after a “reliable store clerk” working on the ritzy Avenue Montaigne, has reported that Olena Zelenska went on a Christmas shopping spree spending €40,000 euros in an hour.

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Olena Zelenska, wife of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, traveled to Paris France for a three-day visit December 12-14. As reported by Le Monde, “Members of the Ukrainian government will also come, including Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal, and several ministers in charge of reconstruction, including Yulia Svyrydenko (economy), Oleksandr Kubrakov (infrastructure) and German Galushchenko (energy).” However, social media has erupted today after a “reliable store clerk” working on the ritzy Avenue Montaigne, has reported that Olena Zelenska went on a Christmas shopping spree spending €40,000 euros in an hour.

Sounds like Mrs. Lincoln 

Personnel numbers are going to be tough to verify from a 3rd Party. Bakhmut is something out of 1917 right now, but if Wagner and the LPR/DNR are leading the charge, then the guys being killed are from Putin's surplus population; convicts, seperatist fighters from Luhansk and Donetsk, and Mobiks drawn from rural Siberia, White Russia, and the ethnic republics like Buriyatia and Dagestan.  Not "real" Russians from the rich, educated, politically well-connected St. Petersburg-Moscow heartland.

The KIA that really count for Ukraine are from Russia's shock troops: Chechens, VDV, Naval Infantry, and also prestige units like 1st Guards Tank Army.  Guys who are functionally irreplaceable because their skills and morale are the product of months or years of peacetime training and maneuvers, or who it actually hurts to lose because they're recruited from  politically relevant populations.

Nobody really knows why Russia wants Bakhmut so badly.  Everybody is looking at the same maps, and has been for months, and it's not like Russia won their war when they took the fortress towns of Sevierodonetsk and Lysychansk in a similar campaign.  *shrugs*

Anyway, here's a solid read by RUSI, a UK based defense policy think tank offering some preliminary analysis on the war from February to July.  Lots of interesting details.  One of the deciding factors for Russia invading was a determination by the Putin's security services that Ukrainians were largely apathetic, apolitical, and only really motivated by economic gains.  In other words, so long as Russia offered Ukrainians a better chance to keep their wealth or grow their wealth, they wouldn't mind the change in management or how it was done.  Ya know, because everyone who isn't part of Putin's Russia is a shallow, materialistic egomaniac with no core beliefs.  AKA the Neocon Playbook.

Enjoy. 

Preliminary Lessons in Conventional Warfighting from Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine: February–July 2022 by Mykhaylo Zabrodskyi, Jack Watling, Oleksandr V Danylyuk and Nick Reynolds

Edited by Coffeesforclosers

Very good article on the history of the war. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/16/world/europe/russia-putin-war-failures-ukraine.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Like Mr. Putin, whose spies have been accused of poisoning and assassinating perceived traitors all over the world, Mr. Prigozhin has said that treachery is the worst sin any Russian can commit. He has proposed setting up his own Gestapo-like police force to hunt down the disloyal, including, he has said, Russian businessmen “who leave our country in their business jets.”

The fate of Mr. Nuzhin serves as a grisly warning.

Mindful of the pressures on prisoners of war and the risks they face, The Times has chosen to withhold their names. And, as with the other people we interviewed, we use documents and other evidence to vet their claims.

In Mr. Nuzhin’s case, we did not publish our interview with him, but he also spoke to Ukrainian media, which broadcast portions of his account. Soon after, he was released in a prisoner swap — and ended up back in the hands of Wagner.

He then appeared in a video on a pro-Russian Telegram account. In it, Mr. Nuzhin’s head was taped to a block. Looming over him was a man in camouflage, holding a sledgehammer.

“I woke up in this basement, where I was told that I will be judged,” Mr. Nuzhin says in the video, his voice dry and gravelly. The sledgehammer then swings down and crushes his skull.

Shortly after, Mr. Prigozhin released a statement endorsing Mr. Nuzhin’s murder.

“Nuzhin betrayed his people, betrayed his comrades, betrayed them consciously,” the statement said. “He planned his escape. Nuzhin is a traitor.”

A day later, asked about the video on a conference call with journalists, Mr. Peskov said, “It’s not our business.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Wednesday plans to appear in Washington on Capitol Hill, according to two congressional aides with knowledge of the plan — a trip that will mark Zelensky’s first public international appearance since Russia invaded Ukraine.

Zelensky plans to meet with congressional leaders to thank lawmakers for including funding for Ukraine in a spending package they are looking to pass this week, according to one the aides.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/12/20/zelensky-congress-washington/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f002

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

They are paying with the blood of patriots 

No taxes though. Free ride for war and reconstruction. 

You sure?

We could build them a stadium too, get them an NFL team. 

Seriously, whose paying for all of this? Are your kids gonna be paying for this? 

Because mine are, they don't even know that yet. I'm not thrilled 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TSOL said:

You sure?

We could build them a stadium too, get them an NFL team. 

Seriously, whose paying for all of this? Are your kids gonna be paying for this? 

Because mine are, they don't even know that yet. I'm not thrilled 

We are. You don't like it? Good! 

That only makes me happy. I suggest you do a hunger strike, and follow through with it! No slacking! 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

We are. You don't like it? Good! 

That only makes me happy. I suggest you do a hunger strike, and follow through with it! No slacking! 

It's grand larceny you fool. Ultra grand 

Back to Ukraine:

cheap.jpg  

Zelenskyy might let Biden & Congress know that another $45 billion is ‘not enough’

Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenzkyy will be in Washington, DC today to meet with President Biden and other government officials, and tonight he’ll address Congress:

Via the Associated Press:

“Keep the money flowing with very little oversight of where it goes” seems to be the main goal at this point.

.https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/12/21/byron-york-notes-zelenskyy-might-let-biden-congress-know-that-another-45-billion-is-not-enough/

Edited by B-Man