Greg Cosell, NFL Films painted a not-so-great picture on Bills O

zow2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And even if you dismiss all the above as baloney

I do.

But I don’t blame you as it’s an easy trap to fall into.

smarter football minds than mine have made the case as to why some successful teams keep running *even when it isn't working*: they need to force defenses to keep defending the run.  What the Bills are facing is "you can't and won't run and we know you can't or won't run, so we don't need to bother trying to defend it and can key off on the pass instead".

If you ever are bored enough to read The Hidden Game of Football, you’ll see where my views on running come from.

Running for the sake of running, because logically the defense has to account for it not to mention the physicality involved (the Chargers coach recently made this argument) is silly.

Defenses don’t care if you jam square blocks into round holes repeatedly. That won’t make them adjust. Only a quality rushing game will do that and we simply do not have the horses for that game.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With respect, I think you're falling prey to "on average, the Duck is Dead" argument.   Last year we had several games where we ran more than we passed - NE, Chargers, Denver - and that skews the average.

As for last year, "That was Then, This is Now".  The Ravens O looked unstoppable with Lamar Jackson in 2019.

What happened?  A couple teams schemed successfully to slow them down or stop them.  In the off-season, other teams sliced and diced their tendencies and dissected what those teams did that worked, and implemented it in their own defensive game plans. 

Whenever a team has a known gap in their offense, it helps the opposing defense because they don't have to defend it and can key off on other aspects.  That's what's happening to the Bills. 

It's not the overall number of rush attempts, it's also the success (or lack thereof) when we try.  No one is afraid that the Bills might hand the ball off and take it to the house on 3rd and 18 or even 3rd and 8.  They know we're going to pass, so they blanket the field and overload one or another side of the OL while only rushing 4.  They'd be a sitting duck for a run play to the empty side, but they're not worried.

I predict if we don't get to the playoffs, or don't get anywhere in the playoffs, we're going to hear an end-of-season presser where Beane acknowledges that we were cash-strapped, but he could have and should have done more on OL.

I think you're missing the point.  One reason the Chiefs were able to key off on our passing game was because they had no reason to fear or respect the run.  And yes, people did come out of the playoffs last year pointing out opposing defenses just don't respect our run game and it's a problem.  Our coaches in end of season pressers said it's a problem.

What appears to have been incorrect was Beane's idea that in bringing in Breida and two FA IOLmen who had shown some ability when they played, plus a commitment to improving the run on the part of our offensive staff, he had done enough.

Great takes. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Literally everyone  including the Bills knows this.  It's time for the oline to sack up and run the damn ball

Yeah right, totally abandon what got us to the AFC championship game last year.

Dial it back to the Dick Jauron era instead! 

NO....If we are going to get anything done this year it will be because we rediscovered our fast passing attack.

You CANNOT try to re-invent this team at this point in time.

That will be a bigger disaster than losing to Jacksonville and the Colts.

Edited by Nextmanup

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How bout adding some fast playmakers on the outside instead of declining vets …

This is an underrated Bills need…the past three WR drafts have been deep and full of difference makers and we’ve added….Gabe Davis…sorry, not good enough.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

This is an underrated Bills need…the past three WR drafts have been deep and full of difference makers and we’ve added….Gabe Davis…sorry, not good enough.

The Bills have a very strong receiving core. The wr position is not the problem with the Bills offense. Actually, I think Davis is a solid receiver. 

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills have a very strong receiving core. The wr position is not the problem with the Bills offense. Actually, I think Davis is a solid receiver. 

Bills’ receiving corps is definitely not the problem, but they aren’t the solution, either.  It’s a solid (albeit aging) group, but they lack the real speed that’s needed to spread the field, especially with a QB like Josh Allen.  Davis is OK, but to have added only a WR 4 in these past three drafts is pretty poor. It’s going to be a much bigger need in 2022…

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Bills’ receiving corps is definitely not the problem, but they aren’t the solution, either.  It’s a solid (albeit aging) group, but they lack the real speed that’s needed to spread the field, especially with a QB like Josh Allen.  Davis is OK, but to have added only a WR 4 in these past three drafts is pretty poor. It’s going to be a much bigger need in 2022…

I disagree. It doesn't matter who are the Bills wrs when Allen doesnt have time to throw. A wide out with "real speed" is the least of their worries. It isn't a priority.  Let's stay focused on improving the trenches. Anything else is a bonus. 

Edited by newcam2012

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree. It doesn't matter who are the Bills wrs when Allen doesnt have time to throw. A wide out with "real speed" is the least of their worries. It isn't a priority.  Let's stay focused on improving the trenches. Anything else is a bonus. 

So it’s not possible for both to be priorities?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.