I am not a ESPN fan but Steven A had it right

Sharky7337

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

What does that have to do with him taking less from TB?  So the fact his wife is also successful and he makes money from ads makes him different? Well then when is Mahomes going to renegotiate since he has State Farm money? Heck Mayfield should be playing for free! 

Cause they don’t have a wife worth a quarter of a billion dollars 

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

As of March 17, 2021, the Patriots are projected to have $69,030,131 in cap space for 2021.

The Patriots rolled over $19.6 million in 2020 cap space.

Without much money tied into the quarterback position, the Patriots have a ton of cap room to make some moves this offseason. It will be interesting to see how Bill Belichick plans to shape this roster.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/1/22/22228915/new-england-patriots-salary-cap-space-2021-contracts-free-agents-cam-newton-julian-edelman

And they spent all of it

I think Judon may be the only lock at LB for them, who knows with Collins, van Noy, and Hightower.  That's a lot of money to tie up in older veterans.  I wouldn't be surprised if they keep one, then spend the money on another high priced LB and a CB.  I don't see them paying Jackson.  They seem more or less set just about everywhere else, so they may just keep their own.  

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Cause they don’t have a wife worth a quarter of a billion dollars 

Oh so in order to be a constant champion you need a wifey be just as rich. Hmm seems off I’d rather make 12 mill and have a great team around me rather than 26 mil and running for my life all the time. Heck may make my career longer this make more later.  

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lol didn’t read my entire post did you? “They had less than 1 Million until all the opt outs” which happened just before the season and all the good FA were gone. The Patriots had the highest number of opt outs in the NFL.  Thus opening space up. 

oh and FYI the Pats had over $20 million locked up in QB, most of it for Brady and the Bonus he got the year before. 

That was last year, the bills from all those SBs had to get paid.  Looked like Hoody on a bargain hunt and empty wallet.  

1 minute ago, P Riv said:

I think Judon may be the only lock at LB for them, who knows with Collins, van Noy, and Hightower.  That's a lot of money to tie up in older veterans.  I wouldn't be surprised if they keep one, then spend the money on another high priced LB and a CB.  I don't see them paying Jackson.  They seem more or less set just about everywhere else, so they may just keep their own.  

Hightower may retire, I think Van Noy takes less to stay after his experience in Miami.  I Hope they pay Jackson and draft a good CB early in the draft. Collins be gone again as some dumb team offers him way to much again.

2 minutes ago, P Riv said:

That was last year, the bills from all those SBs had to get paid.  Looked like Hoody on a bargain hunt and empty wallet.  

He got lucky that team was ranked 30th in talent and ended up placing in the middle of the pack record wise last year. IMO that was his best coaching job as a Pats HC.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Oh so in order to be a constant champion you need a wifey be just as rich. Hmm seems off I’d rather make 12 mill and have a great team around me rather than 26 mil and running for my life all the time. Heck may make my career longer this make more later.  

Football is a business these players have a shelf life your coach the hoodie does it all the time when a player wants a few bucks he’s out the door…rest assured Tom is unselfish because he’s making up the money elsewhere 

13 hours ago, Buftex said:

And what about the 20 years before this season, when the Patriots were praised for taking exactly the same approach as Beane has, in filling their roster?  There are 7 games left in this season...

I completely agree with you. It's amazing how many fans are this quick to shut down this franchise. Even if we have a down year and miss the playoffs we have made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years and have a very solid roster to build on. I am ecstatic with our team and our future, a mid-season lull won't change that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, cDAVIS said:

I completely agree with you. It's amazing how many fans are this quick to shut down this franchise. Even if we have a down year and miss the playoffs we have made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years and have a very solid roster to build on. I am ecstatic with our team and our future, a mid-season lull won't change that.

Wait?  For 20 years BB always built the roster where there was not a huge drop off from the starter to the backup. The reason this worked well especially on the O line is the fact Scar could turn almost anyone into a decent O lineman. The man was the best O line coach ever! But BB rarely paid more for 1 or 2 players.. 

12 hours ago, Buftex said:

Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde... I won't waste a lot of time arguing the point.. the argument that starts out "take away all the good players he brought in, than what has he done?" isn't really worth it.   

I get it...the Bills disappointed all of us... the season ain't over... there have been times in recent years where elite teams like the Bucs, Chiefs and your beloved Pats have had lulls at parts of the season.  They may not be the Super Bowl champs that so many crowned them as, but lets not pretend that one really ***** performance destroys all the progress they have made. 

Unless you are truly convinced that they really are a fraud, I hold out hope that the monumental disaster that we saw yesterday, that affected literally every facet of the team, was an aberration of sorts.  Maybe I am nuts....but I will be watching every game they play this season....whether it is seven more, or 8- 11, I am still thinking they have a good shot at winning them.  The wheels aren't completely off...

Poyer and Hyde were Whaley and McD signings not Beane. 

Beane has been up and down in free agency. Overpaid for Star. Trent Murphy was a bust. Smoke was good for a season and a half. Beasley is outstanding.  Feliciano is ok. Butler, Addison, and the other pile of crap DT they let go after one year have been awful. Overpaid for Morse but he is at least a capable center. Williams deal I thought was a good one.

38 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

He got lucky that team was ranked 30th in talent and ended up placing in the middle of the pack record wise last year. IMO that was his best coaching job as a Pats HC.

How could you say this after 2002? His QB went down and he went with a completely inexperienced late round pick. And he outschemed everyone on his way to a SB victory. They were not that talented at all. With regard to last year's team, they were probably as or more talented than the 2017 Bills, which went 9-7. My point is, doing a great job with poor talent requires that you at least get to .500.

14 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

The Patriots signed quality free agents ,  Beanne has signed nothing but trash free agents.  Other then Beasley he has wasted loads of money and free agents and not one is a difference maker,  add his wasted draft choices and you have a team that is average 

These takes come from the same type of people who would've been crying had Beane let someone like Milano walk out the door. Milano's trash? They're an entirely different defense when he plays. They chose to keep their core team together and some of those dudes are injured right now, simple as that. 

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

How could you say this after 2002? His QB went down and he went with a completely inexperienced late round pick. And he outschemed everyone on his way to a SB victory. They were not that talented at all. With regard to last year's team, they were probably as or more talented than the 2017 Bills, which went 9-7. My point is, doing a great job with poor talent requires that you at least get to .500.

First  the Pats D in 2001 was top 10. The D last year had a lot of scrubs on it and still did very well. In 2001 he got competent QB play from an unknown, last year he got sub par QB play from a former NFL MVP. 

The Talent level on 2001 squad was much higher than 2019.  Also they would have been .500 with competent QB play either by Newton in just 1 of many bad games he lost, or I don’t know any QB had shown up for the KC game! So while 7-9 sounds bad all fans know coaching with a QB can make simple throws they be 10-6.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

How could you say this after 2002? His QB went down and he went with a completely inexperienced late round pick. And he outschemed everyone on his way to a SB victory. They were not that talented at all. 

Not that talented?  They still had the defensive nucleus of the team that went to SB31.  That and Ty Law, McGinist, and Seymour are either in the HoF or headed there soon.  Their defense that year was incredibly talented.  The offense, not so much.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

First  the Pats D in 2001 was top 10. The D last year had a lot of scrubs on it and still did very well. In 2001 he got competent QB play from an unknown, last year he got sub par QB play from a former NFL MVP. 

The Talent level on 2001 squad was much higher than 2019.  Also they would have been .500 with competent QB play either by Newton in just 1 of many bad games he lost, or I don’t know any QB had shown up for the KC game! So while 7-9 sounds bad all fans know coaching with a QB can make simple throws they be 10-6.

The talent level was higher, but not that much higher. And they had a top 10 defense in 2001 because of ... coaching. Plus they ranked seventh in yardage on defense last season, partly because their secondary was still very good! In the 2001 season, they won the SB against a vastly more talented team. Last year's team started 6-6 and went 1-3 down the stretch, getting blown out a couple of times before beating a terrible Jets team in a run-for-the-bus game. I will never not challenge Pats fans who claim that last season was some sort of miracle job. Gimme a break. They went 7-9. That's hardly his best coaching season. 

3 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Not that talented?  They still had the defensive nucleus of the team that went to SB31.  That and Ty Law, McGinist, and Seymour are either in the HoF or headed there soon.  Their defense that year was incredibly talented.  The offense, not so much.

More than talent, they were extremely well coached. It's why it was his best coaching job. Their defense was fine last year too - better than league average.

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The talent level was higher, but not that much higher. And they had a top 10 defense in 2001 because of ... coaching.

Hoodie helped build that defense in 1996 when he coached it in SB 31.  Milloy, Law, McGinest, Bruschi and Otis Smith were all starters in a previous SB under Belichick, and to them you can add the talent of Vrabel, Roman Phifer, Terrell Buckly, and Ted Johnson....  That was a great defense, clipped us twice.  

7 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Hoodie helped build that defense in 1996 when he coached it in SB 31.  Milloy, Law, McGinest, Bruschi and Otis Smith were all starters in a previous SB under Belichick, and to them you can add the talent of Vrabel, Roman Phifer, Terrell Buckly, and Ted Johnson....  That was a great defense, clipped us twice.  

Do you honestly believe that Bill Belichick's coaching job was better last season than in 2001, a year in which they had a miraculous SB run with a completely inexperienced QB?

37 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

These takes come from the same type of people who would've been crying had Beane let someone like Milano walk out the door. Milano's trash? They're an entirely different defense when he plays. They chose to keep their core team together and some of those dudes are injured right now, simple as that. 

Agree.  I don't call Beane a wizard but I thought this last off-season was his finest work.  He got guys that were underperforming to take pay cuts. He brought back Milano and Williams.  And he signed Sanders to replace Smoke.  All good moves.   

Where Beane did poorly was the draft.  He did not add a 1-tech DT nor an interior OL.  I wanted Najee Harris in the first round but once he was gone I was fine with Rousseau.  After that it should have been 1-tech DT and a C/G next. Also all those late round picks are useless on a team with this much talent. He should have spent a few of those picks to move up into the 4th round.  

My mantra has not changed. They should be in win now at all costs.  I don't think Beane thinks that way though.  He has been consistent in saying sustained success.  That's fine, but those 2022 draft picks aren't doing anything to help Allen now.  Zach Ertz has 22 receptions in 5 games with AZ for a fifth round pick!  Sweeney has 17 receptions in his career.  Doyle the most recent 5th round pick has maybe 22 seconds of playing time.  There were moves to be made and he stood pat. Now we just have to hope the injured/COVID players come back and play well down the stretch.  

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Do you honestly believe that Bill Belichick's coaching job was better last season than in 2001, a year in which they had a miraculous SB run with a completely inexperienced QB?

Not me, I was just taken back by the idea that the 2001 team wasn't "that" talented when it had 3 HoF'rs on it and other pro-bowl players, all on defense.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.