John Wawrow: McDermott says offense became too quarterback-dependent, jeopardizing team’s success

Hapless Bills Fan

12 hours ago, Putin said:

Where would you put Dawkins at RT ? 
Or you thinking of keep Williams at RT and moving Dawkins to LG ? At this point I would try everything to see what works 

Brown ... Dawkins ... Morse ... Feliciano ... Williams

Granted last year was last year but Feliciano looked better as a RG and Williams played better at RT with Feliciano next to him.

Just an idea anyway.

58 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Brown ... Dawkins ... Morse ... Feliciano ... Williams

Granted last year was last year but Feliciano looked better as a RG and Williams played better at RT with Feliciano next to him.

Just an idea anyway.

Anything that doesn't include Ford would be an upgrade.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Too much faith in Ford, who even when healthy last season sucked as bad as he sucks now…. And by all accounts Feliciano was healthy towards the end of the season and he was god awful in the Championship game. Agree on Dawkins and Williams, can’t put blame on the GM/HC there, especially Williams, he was very good last season and a no brianer to resign for that contract…. It comes down to putting to much faith in Ford and Feliciano. Specifically Ford who’s cost them so many other personnel decisions….

Cody Ford = DK Metcalf + Wyatt Teller

Still astonished they passed on WR with that pick.

• Agree 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:12 AM, McBean said:

Absolutely hilarious and sad that Sean McDermott is just realizing this.

Me and other (Few posters) said this all off season. It's why some of us were pounding the table for more weapons added this offseason, upgrade at RB, and shore up the offensive line more.

What did Brandon Beane and McDermott do? Defense. Added more and more defense. That's all they've done since arriving in WNY. Boogie Basham our second round pick is in street clothes on Sundays.

It's pathetic that we expect 1 player (#17) to do it all AND, continue to not give him more support by adding more weapons.

Um, Diggs, Beasley, Sanders and Knox aren't weapons?

On 11/11/2021 at 8:46 AM, MasterStrategist said:

Allen's job is to get us into a different play, if the defensive look dictates that.  I think that is what he is pointing out. 

Plenty of blame to go around, coaching is primary IMO right now.  Absolutely no reason we are continuing to put no threat of a running game.  Plenty of different blocking/run schemes that they could be trying.  Or formations, etc.

No variety=we are counting on our guys just to be more talented and outperform the defense.  It's way too vanilla and I'd be shocked if we didn't see a much different offense this week.  

I was just reading another post, talking about how blocking on the OL is entirely different when comparing running the ball and passing. On pass plays, you are in a protective stance trying to keep the QB clean. On run plays, you are firing to hit your man and open a hole. It's a completely different mentality. What is the OL doing on RPOs? Are they pass blocking or run blocking. This is why I hate those RPOs. I could be wrong, but it seems to me the RBs would look much better if the OL is actually run blocking instead of also being tasked with pass blocking on any given play. Those plays are over used in this offense.

Another thing that is driving me crazy is watching Allen waiting until the very last second to give the RB the ball. Sometimes Allen is holding the ball in the RBs gut with both hands and the RB has no choice but to sit there and wait for Josh to let go before he can take off running. How about actually calling a run, allowing the OL to fire off of the snap and also allowing the RB to hit that hole before it closes up.

And how about just calling a pass play instead of an RPO, again to allow the OL to do it's job and protect the QB. The RPOs can be useful, but it is way overused. The OL will certainly look better if they know ahead of time whether it's a pass or a run.

Edited by Rockinon

3 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I was just reading another post, talking about how blocking on the OL is entirely different when comparing running the ball and passing. On pass plays, you are in a protective stance trying to keep the QB clean. On run plays, you are firing to hit your man and open a hole. It's a completely different mentality. What is the OL doing on RPOs? Are they pass blocking or run blocking. This is why I hate those RPOs. I could be wrong, but it seems to me the RBs would look much better if the OL is actually run blocking instead of also being tasked with pass blocking on any given play. Those plays are over used in this offense.

Another thing that is driving me crazy is watching Allen waiting until the very last second to give the RB the ball. Sometimes Allen is holding the ball in the RBs gut with both hands and the RB has no choice but to sit there and wait for Josh to let go before he can take off running. How about actually calling a run, allowing the OL to fire off of the snap and also allowing the RB to hit that hole before it closes up.

And how about just calling a pass play instead of an RPO, again to allow the OL to do it's job and protect the QB. The RPOs can be useful, but it is way overused. The OL will certainly look better if they know ahead of time whether it's a pass or a run.

Another person brought this up Josh seems to have been told to look deep and take the stuff to the backs last there isn’t really a design to get the backs involved as the first priority in the offense…and that’s either cause Daboll has no faith in them to be a center piece of the offense or he’s basically telling Josh look home run every play and if it isn’t there take a single 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.