Mark Gaughan: Jerry Hughes remains as critical as ever to Bills' front four

On 1/11/2022 at 12:28 PM, MJS said:

I am excited to move on from Hughes and Addison next year and really develop our defensive line of the future. I think Hughes is highly overrated by Bills fans. He is a solid, average player.

My main issue is he disappears for so many games. He'll have a great game, then do nothing for weeks and weeks. And, obviously, his lack of sack production.

I think your main issue is that you don’t know how to fairly judge DE play.  Do you watch the games multiple times and watch him play?  I do.  What does weeks and weeks consist of?  To me, that’s 4+weeks.  To your point, he may have had a 4 game streak this year where he wasn’t as disruptive as I like to give him credit for.  I was disappointed.  But minus that stretch, he’s been creating pressure and is one of the reasons our d is #1.  He’s not a jag pass rusher, regardless of how you view him. 

While i was a huge anti addison guy, he’s played pretty well this year.  Much better than I thought he would.  He mostly sucks vs the run but has been creating mlre pressure this year. 

i think we keep one at a reduced rate. Hopefully Jerry, but I could see another team laying him more than our reduced rate.  Hopefully he wants to be here and we want him back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think your main issue is that you don’t know how to fairly judge DE play.  Do you watch the games multiple times and watch him play?  I do.  What does weeks and weeks consist of?  To me, that’s 4+weeks.  To your point, he may have had a 4 game streak this year where he wasn’t as disruptive as I like to give him credit for.  I was disappointed.  But minus that stretch, he’s been creating pressure and is one of the reasons our d is #1.  He’s not a jag pass rusher, regardless of how you view him. 

While i was a huge anti addison guy, he’s played pretty well this year.  Much better than I thought he would.  He mostly sucks vs the run but has been creating mlre pressure this year. 

i think we keep one at a reduced rate. Hopefully Jerry, but I could see another team laying him more than our reduced rate.  Hopefully he wants to be here and we want him back. 

I cannot see McBeanes not wanting Jerry to retire as a Bill. Just my opinion as to how McD thinks and rewards hard work and the loyalty thing.
I would argue the Addison thing but always respect your your perspective New !

even when you might be wrong  LOL

Go Bills.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I cannot see McBeanes not wanting Jerry to retire as a Bill. Just my opinion as to how McD thinks and rewards hard work and the loyalty thing.
I would argue the Addison thing but always respect your your perspective New !

even when you might be wrong  LOL

Go Bills.

Hair Flirting GIF

Edmunds and Hughes need to join the Rodney Dangerfield club of Buffalo. Over the years our fan base at times has been in strong contrast with our coaches. I'm not talking about positions that are easy to see like QB. More with positions that have assignments that benefit the team and not always the individual. Out of all my gripes I do think McDermott is a good defensive coach. So when it comes to these two it's hard for me to knock them when I don't always know what is being asked of them. It's very hard for me to say just because Jerry doesn't have X amount of sacks or Edmunds doesn't have X amount of big plays they suck. I really don't know. To me it has enough "careful what you wish for" to stay neutral and positive on both. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I never said he is a jag. He is a good player. But I want more. I want a double digit sack producer.

For all the credit that Bills fans like to give Hughes, he is never considered even slightly for the pro bowl or any other accolades. Pressure rate is fine, but he isn't a finisher. We need a finisher.

And I know how to fairly judge defensive end play. You and others overrate Jerry Hughes. That doesn't mean he is a bad player. He's not. But he is expensive and hasn't produced sacks since Mario Williams was here. Hughes is great if he has a dominant pass rusher across from him.

He is old. Time to move on. Time to develop the younger guys.

I was one of those banging the drum to resign him when we did all those years ago. I have been dissatisfied with his play given what the Bills paid him.

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I never said he is a jag. He is a good player. But I want more. I want a double digit sack producer.

For all the credit that Bills fans like to give Hughes, he is never considered even slightly for the pro bowl or any other accolades. Pressure rate is fine, but he isn't a finisher. We need a finisher.

And I know how to fairly judge defensive end play. You and others overrate Jerry Hughes. That doesn't mean he is a bad player. He's not. But he is expensive and hasn't produced sacks since Mario Williams was here. Hughes is great if he has a dominant pass rusher across from him.

He is old. Time to move on. Time to develop the younger guys.

I was one of those banging the drum to resign him when we did all those years ago. I have been dissatisfied with his play given what the Bills paid him.

I agree with a lot of that but idk if I have seen a player held more and not get a holding call 

I think he has one 2 weeks ago and it felt like it was the first one he got in 3 years 

He’s lost a step but In the past he was getting smothered out there and no calls 

1 minute ago, mikemac2001 said:

I agree with a lot of that but idk if I have seen a player held more and not get a holding call 

I think he has one 2 weeks ago and it felt like it was the first one he got in 3 years 

He’s lost a step but In the past he was getting smothered out there and no calls 

That is true, and I always guessed that it was because the officials were punishing him for that time he spoke out against one of them, plus he was a hothead for many years and would draw personal foul penalties a lot.

But I think that "punishment" fizzled out a few years ago and he has lost a step for sure. He has not been the same player for awhile now.

On 11/4/2021 at 12:47 AM, JohnNord said:

What I can’t understand is why Hughes always has a high pressure rate but never seems to get very many sacks.  I know that sacks can be a deceiving metric but you’d assume that a pass rusher of his ability would end up with a higher total.  

The knock on Jerry is and always has been his finishing ability. He has never got the sacks a guy who wins as many pass rush reps as he does should.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Edmunds and Hughes need to join the Rodney Dangerfield club of Buffalo. Over the years our fan base at times has been in strong contrast with our coaches. I'm not talking about positions that are easy to see like QB. More with positions that have assignments that benefit the team and not always the individual. Out of all my gripes I do think McDermott is a good defensive coach. So when it comes to these two it's hard for me to knock them when I don't always know what is being asked of them. It's very hard for me to say just because Jerry doesn't have X amount of sacks or Edmunds doesn't have X amount of big plays they suck. I really don't know. To me it has enough "careful what you wish for" to stay neutral and positive on both. 

Right.  The "proof" of his value might be in things that are not in any box score.  If the opponent restricts their play book that involves short passes over the middle because of Edmund's range and long arms, who would know that there were only 3 such plays instead of 6 such plays? The other team is not going to publish how they did their play calling.  If they were picking on Edmunds, he might have more opportenties for splash plays.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:03 AM, GunnerBill said:

The knock on Jerry is and always has been his finishing ability. He has never got the sacks a guy who wins as many pass rush reps as he does should.

But his hustle and awareness are to be reckoned with
We should ask opposing OCs if they need account for him. stats be damned.

Bills are a pressure and take away team by design.

frustrates the bejeezus out of QBs for sure.

I do think Hughes still has the burst off the ball.

But I am a homer for Hughes

Go Jerry !

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

But his hustle and awareness are to be reckoned with
We should ask opposing OCs if they need account for him. stats be damned.

Bills are a pressure and take away team by design.

frustrates the bejeezus out of QBs for sure.

I do think Hughes still has the burst off the ball.

But I am a homer for Hughes

Go Jerry !

If he wants to come back for a vet minimum go for it, otherwise it’s time to move on. He’s had a hell of a stint with us but at 34 it’s time we develop more of the young guys.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Rampage said:

If he wants to come back for a vet minimum go for it, otherwise it’s time to move on. He’s had a hell of a stint with us but at 34 it’s time we develop more of the young guys.

He has been a Loyal Dawg
dont dis him with a vet Min offer please !
 I am sure he knows his age and time is running out. Likely just wants the Ring as we all do.
McBeanes and Hughes will do what right for everyone and i trust that.

But I do agree 110% about bring up the young bucks

Addison is about to retire and Bills better be in the market for DEs

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

The vet minimum….lol.  

Would be nice for the cap. Not gonna happen.  I think we’ll give him 3-4M

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Im hoping they both agree to a cap friendly but fair contract 

Yeah, me too. Prior to the season I figured addison was gone 💯but his play this season might have changed that.  I just think it’ll be tough to keep both….unless we trade AJ….which might be a good idea if we can get something for him. He’s looking like a bum more often than not

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, me too. Prior to the season I figured addison was gone 💯but his play this season might have changed that.  I just think it’ll be tough to keep both….unless we trade AJ….which might be a good idea if we can get something for him. He’s looking like a bum more often than not

AJ has been a good addition as well. 

The whole D on rotation is a good thing 

18 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

AJ has been a good addition as well. 

The whole D on rotation is a good thing 

He’s had his moments but seems to lose contain more than I thought he would.  

regarding our D, I feel that our DL has been EXCELLENT at keeping the QBs contained and that has been one of major reasons our D is having much more success that last season.  They’ll br out to the test on sunday. 

edit: when I say that we should maybe trade AJ, it’s not because I think he’s bad, but because he has 2 years left on his rookie contract and still might have some value.  He’s been ok. I don’t see him as a 2nd contract player if he plays like he has.  

Edited by NewEra

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s had his moments but seems to lose contain more than I thought he would.  

regarding our D, I feel that our DL has been EXCELLENT at keeping the QBs contained and that has been one of major reasons our D is having much more success that last season.  They’ll br out to the test on sunday. 

edit: when I say that we should maybe trade AJ, it’s not because I think he’s bad, but because he has 2 years left on his rookie contract and still might have some value.  He’s been ok. I don’t see him as a 2nd contract player if he plays like he has.  

i have always been on the concept that you give a player 3 seasons to prove themselves. 

unless it’s THAT obvious 

hell a good # here want Edmonds gone. Oye

On 1/13/2022 at 4:56 PM, NewEra said:

Addison chasing down the RB to force a fourth and 1 was a really spectacular play for a DE. A small play that will be forgotten in time but truly amazing. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Addison chasing down the RB to force a fourth and 1 was a really spectacular play for a DE. A small play that will be forgotten in time but truly amazing. 

Agree 💯.  I was just rewatching the game this morning as was thinking the exact same thing.  No one will talk about how big a play that was……it’ll be forgotten…..but it was one of the better individual efforts of the evening and a helluva play.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

i have always been on the concept that you give a player 3 seasons to prove themselves. 

unless it’s THAT obvious 

hell a good # here want Edmonds gone. Oye

Word.

I just look at the number of quality DEs we have and realistically don’t think we can keep them all.  

If, next season, addison can put together another season like he had this year, I hope he’s back.  

I hope Jerry is back.  That’s my dude.  Always.  He’s a leader and a producer.  

Rousseau and Basham will be back and improved.  They aren’t going anywhere.

if we want our best 4 in the rotation, I think those 4 are the best. 

Both efe and Aj have flashed this year, but have been inconsistent.  It’s tough keeping everyone happy when you have 6 legit nfl DEs on the roster, but think McD has has done a solid job keeping all 6 fresh and motivated.  The DL has been solid the majority of the season and is a major reason for our defensive success.  Regardless of how @ScottLawfeels about them and McDs rotation. 

11th in the league with 42 sacks.  one behind the non rotational DEs in cleveland and 5 behind the non rotational DEs in tampa.  We get pressure.  We contain.  We get stops. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Still feel they are missing that one dominar pass rusher…. Though Oliver had emerged as the guy inside. 

who doesn’t want an elite pass rusher?  I don’t think that we one to accomplish our goal.  We can keep drafting DEs and hope that one emerges as elite….but signing a FA to a big contract isn’t likely imo.  If that was our plan, we would have signed one last year when the cap was at its floor.  

we went from a middling D last year to the top D in the league and all we did was watch Ed and Harrison emerge and add Rousseau, Basham, Obada + get star back.  

Nothing changed in the LB room (except Milano being healthy) and the secondary…. Except losing our cornerstone player. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.