2017 Re-Draft - What would you do?

YoloinOhio

2017 Draft and aftermath   

258 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still trade the 10th pick for pick 27 and 2018 1st knowing that pick could have been Mahomes?

• Yes, I want Tre White and the pick that helped get Allen
    • No, I would have taken Mahomes there
  2. 2. Would you rather have Mahomes as your QB, or Josh Allen as your QB plus Tre White CB1

3. 3. If the Bills had drafted Mahomes in 2017, do you think the Bills would have won a SB by now?

First of all...there was nobody on the Buffalo Bills staff in 2017 or on most of the NFL staffs that identified Patrick Mahones as the QB we have seen in the NFL the last few seasons.  

No other QB that has come out of that "Texas Tech Air Raid" offense that has developed into anything near what we see in Mahomes. 

Andy Reid had the talent to develop that QB. And he saw the talent and sat Mahomes for an entire season so he could sit and learn the scheme. That 2017 KC team was an already playoff team going 10-6 and had been so since 2013. Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill all already there. 

Mahomes in Buffalo in 2017 would have been a train wreck...would Mahomes have sat behind Tyrod or start? Bills starting receivers, WR Kelvin Benjamin, WR Deonte Thompson, TE Charles Clay...:sick:

Would the soon to be fired Bills OC Rick Dennison know how to develop Mahomes...

I have no idea why some Bills fans are STILL lamenting not drafting Mahomes.

The Buffalo Bills have the perfect player at QB for them! Big, tall, strongest arm, big hands...played at Wyoming, so no stranger to throw in the snow.

Most Buffalo Bills fans now have an ongoing love affair with a young man named Josh Allen. :wub:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2017-nfl-draft-deshone-kizer-mitch-trubisky-top-qb-prospects-0ap3000000787378

Weaknesses: Despite his ridiculous production as a starter for two-plus years at Texas Tech, Mahomes is still viewed as a questionable quarterback prospect due to the pass-happy approach employed by the Red Raiders. As mentioned above, the Air Raid system rarely produces effective NFL products, and Mahomes' inexperience running a traditional offense could stunt his growth at the next level.

In addition, Mahomes' sloppy footwork and mechanics will need to be retooled before he can become a more accurate passer from the pocket. Sure, he was able to overcome his shoddy technique as a collegian, but NFL defenders will make him pay for his errant tosses by snagging picks off tips or overthrows. Given the impact of turnovers on the outcome of NFL games, Mahomes' sloppy footwork must be addressed to help him play winning football at the position.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, Dr. Who said:

The topic of the OP is regards to a redraft and the relative merits of each qb and who one would draft, etc. I took that to be the general context in which case, as I think I have indicated, I don't think Josh is way behind. I anticipated your apparent criteria, which does not seem to me to fit the topic that I surmised was the actual context in which one should interpret your contribution to this thread. You seem unduly exercised over truculent. I have explained why it seemed to me an appropriate word. I don't think most folks would have taken such umbrage, but perhaps not. Have a good one.

I know what the original topic was, but I did respond to a "particular" post from someone other than the OP. The response was specific to a baaadthings post. Did you not notice that?! While in the middle of posting that I am truculent, you should have been looking in the mirror. You were the truculent person here, not I. You were the one who was quick to argue with me... Over the original post, when it was clear my comment was not in relation to the OP's post. Go back to your 1st response to me and tell me that's not the case. As to the underlined above, be careful when surmising, it could be like when someone ass/u/mes.  If that's what you surmised, you were wrong. Don't forget, my initial contribution to this thread was a comment made directly to someone else and you decided to jump in. And you were rather truculent in doing so. 

Edit: Compare your 1st comment to me vs. my comment to baadthings and you will see you were the truculent one here. As to the text in blue, you come off as someone trying too hard to impress others with your use of extensive vocabulary. Use the word correctly or you come off as a dumb@&& trying to be a smart@&&.  

Edited by Dopey

The Bills were better of for their timeline to draft a QB in 2018 as opposed to 2017. Yes the Bills could have benched Mahomes for year one and stuck with Tyrod a decent vet. But in 2018 the Bills had to eat a lot of dead cap related to Dareus, InCog and Wood's retirement and other various bad cap contracts either being cut, traded or expiring. In 2018 the Bills simply were not equipped to put a competitive team around a QB. It was far better they were starting with a rookie in 2018 than having a player on his second year thrown to the wolves. By 2019 the Bills were in a position to surround a QB with talent and having Josh only being on his second year of a rookie deal was the perfect timing. Add in getting White and Edumonds to help build a defense and you have a better recipe for success.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.