1965 AFL Review

Chandler#81

8 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Yeah, remember that championship season very well. I believe if they had started playing the Super Bowl, of course they didn’t call it that back then, one year earlier this ‘65 Bills team could have given the NFL champ a run for their money. Definitely a better showing than KC did the following year.

I’m not as sure about this. We were pretty beat up on Offense all year. The ‘64 team was stronger and would have given Cleveland all they could handle. Imagine, Jim Brown vs Cookie Gilchrest for all the marbles!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m not as sure about this. We were pretty beat up on Offense all year. The ‘64 team was stronger and would have given Cleveland all they could handle. Imagine, Jim Brown vs Cookie Gilchrest for all the marbles!

Well, maybe you are right, but that ‘65 team defense was awesome. Go to SD and completely shut down their offensive machine, that was impressive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have been thinking about this era lately, with the Bills and Chargers on the upswing and both with a pair of great young QBs who are going to be around for a long time.

Throw in the retro uniforms the Chargers are now wearing, and maybe we can rejuvenate some of the Chargers vs. Bills AFL rivalry from the '60s.  

I would love that!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, Marv's Neighbor said:

Remember it well! 

We drove to a Holiday Inn, off I-90, in Rochester, to watch the game, on maybe a 19" COLOR TV.  The hotel seemed to be full of BILLS fans.  I was young and foolishly thought every BILLS season would be like that.:doh:

The first color TV I ever saw was in Jack Kemp’s house. I went to 3rd grade with his son and we’d walk home to his house.  I don’t know if I was even  aware that there was such a thing, but a billion years later I remember that moment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 10/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, Augie said:

The first color TV I ever saw was in Jack Kemp’s house. I went to 3rd grade with his son and we’d walk home to his house.  I don’t know if I was even  aware that there was such a thing, but a billion years later I remember that moment. 

Awesome stuff man, thanks for sharing,

My late Dad had a photography studio going in Buffalo before he changed professions and did some family photos of the Kemp family. Something he liked to brag about from time to time. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

Awesome stuff man, thanks for sharing,

My late Dad had a photography studio going in Buffalo before he changed professions and did some family photos of the Kemp family. Something he liked to brag about from time to time. 

Awesome! he must have taken photos of all the J People! I had to look it up, but his wife was Joanne (I thought it was Judy, but apparently that was a sister), my friend was Jeff, and I remembered they were all J peeps. I knew Jeff played a decade plus in the NFL, but just learned his younger brother Jimmy was a CFL QB. A very talented crowd, those Kemps. Hope those remaining are all doing well.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Awesome! he must have taken photos of all the J People! I had to look it up, but his wife was Joanne (I thought it was Judy, but apparently that was a sister), my friend was Jeff, and I remembered they were all J peeps. I knew Jeff played a decade plus in the NFL, but just learned his younger brother Jimmy was a CFL QB. A very talented crowd, those Kemps. Hope those remaining are all doing well.  

He took pictures of the whole family. I was just a toddler at the time so it wasn't until many years late that I realized the significance. My Dad talked fondly of the Kemps. Yes, very talented family.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.