Bills will get good value for Henry

Everyone acts like it was a huge mistake not to trade Henry before/during the draft. Am I the only one that thinks the Bills will get better value for Henry during training camp or in the preseason?

Of the 32 teams, one of them (including possibly the Bills) will lose their starting running back before the first weekend of real games. Having Henry on the roster when that happens will be a great asset. Even if they end up with a 3rd rounder in '06 for Henry, that pick should be better than a 3rd rounder in '05 would have been.

When someone loses their starter, I imagine getting a 3rd round pick next year won't be very hard when they realize how much better Henry is than their backup, even if it is just to fill in while their main guy heals.

You're totally right. It happens every year that a team in contention will lose a top running back to injury. Whether Henry is needed as a starter/backup, some team WILL NEED him. Maybe it's us...but obviously Im hoping we can get some value for him before he walks.

every year, a back gets injured in the preseason, if not, although he says he is holding out, we could have henry to back up willis, incase he gets hurt. If he gets hurt, henry could be silly good this yr, then make a load of money next yr. If he is smart, he will play, and show teams that he is a team player, and run for tons of yards in the process, making himself some money and heloing himself for free agency.

Everyone acts like it was a huge mistake not to trade Henry before/during the draft.  Am I the only one that thinks the Bills will get better value for Henry during training camp or in the preseason?

Of the 32 teams, one of them (including possibly the Bills) will lose their starting running back before the first weekend of real games.  Having Henry on the roster when that happens will be a great asset.  Even if they end up with a 3rd rounder in '06 for Henry, that pick should be better than a 3rd rounder in '05 would have been.

When someone loses their starter, I imagine getting a 3rd round pick next year won't be very hard when they realize how much better Henry is than their backup, even if it is just to fill in while their main guy heals.

323044[/snapback]

Not only that but he's the best backup available at the right price. :(

We'll move him somehow to a team who will be in dire need of a starting RB by the end of training camp.

Even if they end up with a 3rd rounder in '06 for Henry, that pick should be better than a 3rd rounder in '05 would have been.

323044[/snapback]

i'd rather have drafted the guy in '05, developed him on the roster for the year and get some special teams play out of him, providing valuable back-up duties for the team as opposed to waiting for a year to make the pick........

Everyone acts like it was a huge mistake not to trade Henry before/during the draft.  Am I the only one that thinks the Bills will get better value for Henry during training camp or in the preseason?

Of the 32 teams, one of them (including possibly the Bills) will lose their starting running back before the first weekend of real games.  Having Henry on the roster when that happens will be a great asset.  Even if they end up with a 3rd rounder in '06 for Henry, that pick should be better than a 3rd rounder in '05 would have been.

323044[/snapback]

In fact, the Dolphins gave up a third for the Rams backup RB last year when Ricky did not come back and one of their other RBs got injured.

I don't think that it was a huge mistake that TH is still on our team. He still has value, he still can play... and I truly believe that he will still be traded. Just because the trade doesn't have anything to do with the 2005 draft, doesn't mean a draft pick would not be included.

Runningbacks get injured all the time. Someone somewhere will get hurt, and look at Buffalo with a probowl runningback available for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. They will bite. We will get a much better deal than if we had dealt with Arizona.

Now I am a little shocked that nothing happened during the draft (since 3 teams were very much interested... or they said they were), but I'm not hurt that nothing happened.

People need to be more patient.

By the way... do I get a reward for post number 500? :(

every year, a back gets injured in the preseason, if not, although he says he is holding out, we could have henry to back up willis, incase he gets hurt. If he gets hurt, henry could be silly good this yr, then make a load of money next yr. If he is smart, he will play, and show teams that he is a team player, and run for tons of yards in the process, making himself some money and heloing himself for free agency.

323133[/snapback]

By the way, Bortz owned Mendez

i'd rather have drafted the guy in '05, developed him on the roster for the year and get some special teams play out of him, providing valuable back-up duties for the team as opposed to waiting for a year to make the pick........

323186[/snapback]

Similar to what Donahoe did with Losman, you mean?

Oh yeah. I forgot that Donahoe sucks.

Still having Travis on the roster is not good, and it was not 'part of the plan'...

But, it's not the end of the world, there is plenty of time to make a deal. Someone will need a RB by the end of the year, guaranteed. a 3rd rounder in 2006 sounds about right.

323044[/snapback]

Well, that view is pretty similar to what we heard before the draft. That TD would get what he wanted by waiting until draft day and then he would be besieged with offers. Henry isn't the only running back out there nor is he even the best available right now. If some team does lose a starter to injury, Henry would probably be their third choice at best. Therefore, we need three starters to get hurt in camp before Henry's stock goes up. Besides, teams know that he is pretty much useless to us as it is so I doubt we would have much of a bargaining position.

As it stands now, the most likely scenario is that we will have a pro bowler stewing on the bench all year who will be gone at the end of the season in exchange for nothing.

323229[/snapback]

TD currently occupies that vast region between the Land of Suck and Genius Mountain called Mediocritania. Hopefully he is going to migrate to higher ground this year. :(

Well, that view is pretty similar to what we heard before the draft.  That TD would get what he wanted by waiting until draft day and then he would be besieged with offers.  Henry isn't the only running back out there nor is he even the best available right now.  If some team does lose a starter to injury, Henry would probably be their third choice at best.  Therefore, we need three starters to get hurt in camp before Henry's stock goes up.  Besides, teams know that he is pretty much useless to us as it is so I doubt we would have much of a bargaining position.

As it stands now, the most likely scenario is that we will have a pro bowler stewing on the bench all year who will be gone at the end of the season in exchange for nothing.

323271[/snapback]

Why would he be the 3rd choice?

I'm assuming that your assuming that James and Alexander would be better choices. The problem with going after those guys is that you need to give up multiple picks including a 1st rounder to get them. Travis can be had for a 2nd or 3rd rounder (I think). That evens the field a little for henry vs. James and Alexander.

Well, that view is pretty similar to what we heard before the draft.  That TD would get what he wanted by waiting until draft day and then he would be besieged with offers.  Henry isn't the only running back out there nor is he even the best available right now.  If some team does lose a starter to injury, Henry would probably be their third choice at best.  Therefore, we need three starters to get hurt in camp before Henry's stock goes up.  Besides, teams know that he is pretty much useless to us as it is so I doubt we would have much of a bargaining position.

323271[/snapback]

I don't think that is true, Mick. The Seahags and the Colts will almost surely square up their rosters and running backs before training camp. I highly, highly doubt they are going to trade Shaun Alexander or Edgerin James on the eve of the season and basically pack it in for 2005. The two may not be totally happy campers if they sign one year tenders but they will be on the team. It would be different if they traded them before the draft and were able to get reasonable replacements and got ready for the season. I just don't see either of the other two getting traded this year unless it is VERY soon. James in fact has already seemed to be welcomed back to the Colts.

Why would he be the 3rd choice?

I'm assuming that your assuming that James and Alexander would be better choices.  The problem with going after those guys is that you need to give up multiple picks including a 1st rounder to get them.  Travis can be had for a 2nd or 3rd rounder (I think).  That evens the field a little for henry vs. James and Alexander.

323277[/snapback]

I am ranking their choices strictly base on who is the better back. Certainly, a team might decide to pick up a lesser back as you indicate but I think the assumption that teams will want the player that gives them the best chance at winning is pretty sound. Consider also how poorly thought of Henry must be right now aroung the league. So poorly that not a single team was willing to give up a lousy third roung pick to get him. Check out the number of posts at this site where Henry is variouly referred to as everything from "cancer" to a greedy moron. I don't subscribe to that kind of thing but if that is what his former fans who know him best think, imagine how he must be perceived elsewhere. A hot commodity he aint. Fact is, there are plenty of second string backs that are just as good as he is and compared to Henry, are a bargain with none of the headaches.

The surest indication of a player's value is how the "free market" reacts to his availablity and the reaction of all those teams was basically to take a pass. We need to just get what we can for him and be done with it. There is no rush so we can always wait and hope that something happens to improve our bargaining position but I wouldn't bank on it.

323133[/snapback]

no one significant got hurt last year in preseason, as a matter of fact. there was the ricky williams situation, but that was a one-in-a-million occurrence.

323271[/snapback]

Actually, as it stands now we have a valuable RB (albiet backup for us) as an assest whose value (to other teams) will only increase as time goes by (see probablility of an injury to another teams RB).

As such, the reality is that we will be getting something for him in the form of a coveted draft pick in '06 or in the form of a player who could contribute in '05. Both of which are good returns on our investment, no?

323229[/snapback]

actually, it's not like that at all.......

the poster was talking about a 3rd round pick now vs. a 3rd round pick later -- i would always take the pick now to get value out of the pick immediately.......

with JP, it was not a matter of just using the 1st round pick last year vs. a 1st round pick this year.........the bills paid a premium to take that pick a year early - that being a 2nd and 5th round pick in last year's draft.......

is a JP worth Julius Jones, Sean Ryan, and Marcus Spears? only time will tell......but is a 3rd round pick now better then a 3rd round pick next year? every time.......