Throw Back Uniforms to be worn this year

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Miller (who is sadly really starting to show his age)

321948[/snapback]

It really is sad but he is in his upper 70's ( I believe turns 77 this year)But I remember listening to him call games back in 60's when I was to to young to go to games and than all those days in the stadium listening to him call the game.

I think a full throwback Uni, including helmet, to our 65 championship team would be fitting

Guys, the "tweaking" could have to do with what fabrics or stitching the new jerseys will feature.  Uniforms have come a long way in the last 40 years.  Teams have to make sure the uniforms are suitable for today's players and that they'll look good on television.

322212[/snapback]

I don't know about that. This was first brought up last season -that's plenty of time to find a fabric. No, if 'tweaking' ends up being anything like it is now, with the 5 freaking colors and the lack of uniformity, I'm afraid it may end up looking like this

I don't know about that. This was first brought up last season -that's plenty of time to find a fabric.  No, if 'tweaking' ends up being anything like it is now, with the 5 freaking colors and the lack of uniformity, I'm afraid it may end up looking like this

323257[/snapback]

I guess uniform design is just a really long process nowadays. I don't know about the NFL, but I know MLB made Toronto tweak their current road uniforms right up until they wore them for the first time at the start of last season.

Thanks, I didn't know that.  At my age, I'm only familiar with the Juice as a sideline reporter, actor, and murderer.

:(

323384[/snapback]

So you are only familiar with the stuff he was bad at....

It really is sad but he is in his upper 70's ( I believe turns 77 this year)But I remember listening to him call games back in 60's when I was to to young to go to games and than all those days in the stadium listening to him call the game.

I think a full throwback Uni, including helmet, to our 65 championship team would be fitting

323230[/snapback]

Yes, I grew up on Van Miller on the radio in the 60's. Back then ALL home games were blacked out on TV. Period.

I often went to games with a transistor radio and later a Walkman 0:) to listen to Van do the game.

I was just glad to see him. My dad is the reason I am a Bills fan and he would have been 80 tomorrow! I'll tip a cold one to you, Dad. ;)

If the throwbacks are decent I am going to have a "Rockpile" one made.

Thanks, I didn't know that.  At my age, I'm only familiar with the Juice as a sideline reporter, actor, and murderer.

0:)

323384[/snapback]

He was 32 at USC and wanted that number but the Bills already had a RB, Gary McDermott, who had 32. That was before players would often pay for numbers. Just before the season started McDermott was cut and OJ took the 32.

last night at Booster club meeting. They could be used for 2 games with the opener and San Diego mentioned. NFL rules state the Bills do not need permission because unis only being worn for 2 games, 3 games permission needed.

The uni's have a little more tweaking to go before they will be shown to the public.

Buddy told you Jan 14 2005, so next time you see Buddy give him a bone.

321880[/snapback]

That red helmet with the white standing bison was absolutely horrible. They simply removed the charging buffalo decal and replaced it with an all white version of the old 60's red standing buffalo.

Did the Bills brass think they could pawn that off on us old timers and we'd get all wispy and nostalgic over that design monstrosity?

Supposedly, it was done because they already had the red helmets and Marv didn't want the distraction of fitting the entire squad with new helmets, just for a single game.

At any rate, the uniforms with the unfamiliar helmet didn't remind anyone of the 60's Bills.

If they do a 60' throwback, I hope they do it all out with attention to detail. I want to see the same colors, stripes, numbers, helmet, and logo.

Here's an idea that might get Buffalo in the pages of Sports Illustrated: The Bills should promote a home game as a 60's throwback game and in addition to having the players wear the original uniforms, ask the attending fans to do the same - women in June Cleaver attire, wool coats, vintage 60's horn-rimmed shades, and men wearing coats, ties, slacks, and donning fedora hats.

Now, if we could just erect some support poles in the middle of section 313 to obstruct the view.....

Supposedly, it was done because they already had the red helmets and Marv didn't want the distraction of fitting the entire squad with new helmets, just for a single game.

323492[/snapback]

You know, I'm with Marv on this. If the Bills are going to "do it right," with a complete set of new helmets (and all the fitting and personalization that entails), it had better be completed before September rolls around.

I don't want the distraction of a "marketing" event to mess with the team's focus/preparation for an in-season opponent.

If they do it right, they need to bust out the throwbacks for that Saturday night home ESPN game vs. Denver.

At San Diego would be interesting as well if both teams wear the 60's uniforms. That would look very cool.