What I didn't know about ohttps://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/234171-what-i-didnt-know-about-our-refrigerator/ur refrigerator

Greybeard

We have been having problems with our fridge.  The food section was just not cold enough.   I thought for sure the thermostat was going.  It cycled on for 6-7 minutes and then shut off for about 10.  Turning the thermostat up had little affect. 

I looked up the availability of the thermostat figuring I could jumper the contacts that turn the fridge on to see it that worked.  In watching the replacement video, I could see that while you adjust the thermostat in the front of the fridge, the sensor for temperature is actually in the center but in the back close to the back wall.  When I reached back I could feel cold air blowing on two or three cans of beer which were within two inches of the air outlet/ temp sensing housing.  The cans were very cold.  

I moved the cans away from the air blowing on them and voila, I do not have a fridge problem.  It seems you cannot place an object anywhere close to this area for good temperature distribution.   I have yet to determine how close.  This does remove a fair amount of space on the top shelf.

I know there are some here that would place the blame solely on me for placing beer in such a hard to get to area, but in my defense, I would argue it could just have well have happened with pickle jars or ketchup.

So anyway, check out your fridge food distribution.  It may be causing issues you are unaware of.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Nice advice!

I assume you noticed the freezer still cold?

Same thing will happen when the defrosting heating element will go bad in freezer.  The freezer will be cold and refrigerator warm.  The freezer coil ices up and eventually blocks where the cold air goes into refrigerator side.

Pull the back panel (in a side-by-side model) and see if the coil and duct is blocked.  Test the defroster to see if it's bad... If so replace.

Or... If you can't get one right away,  manually defrost it like in the old days. Bit, Amazon is great getting stuff to you in a day or so! 😉 

• AiO changed the title to What I didn't know about ohttps://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/234171-what-i-didnt-know-about-our-refrigerator/ur refrigerator
On 9/9/2021 at 3:01 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

What type of Buffalonian doesnt keep their beer in the fridge in the finished garage with the astroturf and fullsize screen door?

My first house I found a set of screen doors in the weeds behind the garage.  Eventually figured out they were for the garage in the summer.  I ended up giving them away, since we weren't using them.  (garage was a detached garage)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

My first house I found a set of screen doors in the weeds behind the garage.  Eventually figured out they were for the garage in the summer.  I ended up giving them away, since we weren't using them.  (garage was a detached garage)

In Cheektowaga that's called: "The Polish Patio."

They now make screens that go up with the garage door and you simply pull them down into "Polish Patio Mode."

😊

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.