DeSantis For President in 2024?

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Your comment was that the topic was too jaw droppingly stupid to discuss despite being factually accurate. You were so busy being political that you were extremely insulting to anyone who could think was a good idea. Your opinion appears to have changed when the person presenting it was changed to different race. I will ask directly, do you still think the standard is stupid?

Yes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

How would you know?  Can you share a CV or bio?

Or you could, you know,  play the videos and decide for yourself.

I've got to mow the lawn soon, I can't keep doing this for you.

baby-eating800x417-760x396.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, B-Man said:

Or you could, you know,  play the videos and decide for yourself.

I've got to mow the lawn soon, I can't keep doing this for you.

baby-eating800x417-760x396.jpg

Do they contain CV's?  What do you know of his body of work?

I'm waiting on mowing.  It's a bit long but it's not supposed to rain all week and I don't like burnt grass.

Here's the problem with the whole curriculum standards debate.

DeSantis had a point. The left (as we understand it) believes that there is no such thing as a "neutral" curriculum. By emphasizing certain points and deemphasizing others, a textbook or a syllabus necessarily has a political point of view. The left thought standard curricula emphasized the "Great American Experiment" type of cheerleading for America at the expense of downplaying or ignoring the horrific abuses in our history and the role of non-white men in America. The 1619 Project was very open about this being the point.

The DeSantis Republicans thought the new emphasis (which has, before and after 1619, been brought into middle school and high school learning plans) was too political. They ostensibly sought a rebalancing.

But they no longer argued for a neutral approach. They essentially accepted the left's viewpoint, that there is no such thing as a neutral approach. In other words, to defeat critical race theorists, they had to become critical race theorists, but from the other side. American history curricula should therefore be aimed at, above all else, presenting the arc of American history in a triumphant manner. And sometimes that means downplaying the bad to emphasize the good. Hence we get things like, "the institution of slavery was abusive, but we eventually eliminated it, and indeed some slaves benefited from the skills they learned while enslaved." To me, and to many other people, that's jarring. And yes: stupid. There is a way to tell the story of how an entire race of people did not allow themselves to be defeated forever, that they threw off their shackles, and demanded to be respected as full Americans. This is not that way.

This is a failed attempt at switching the balance. It is a ratification of the idea that there is no such thing as neutral history, and that it is the job of educators to choose a perspective, in this case a "conservative" pro-America perspective. I'm not ready to give up on a non-politically loaded curriculum. DeSantis and his ilk are.

16 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

yeah, they weren't slaves.  Some were indentured servants but I'll bet few of those became "lace Irish"...

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/shanty-lace-curtain-irish

This isn't really a culture war, now is it?

This is not my quote but I feel it is well said

"If you are able to read it and conclude that the single reference to slaves developing skills … is indicative of the narrative direction of the course, rather than a tiny (and correct) part of it, then you are beyond saving and you deserve to live your life as an ignoramus"

11 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

DeSantis’s own campaign video had him leading marching troops to him in front of a Nazi symbol and none of his supporters find this troubling? 

The amount that people are willing to turn a blind eye to because they’ve already chosen a side is simply stunning. 

So you're saying DeSantis is a Nazi?

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

DeSantis’s own campaign video had him leading marching troops to him in front of a Nazi symbol and none of his supporters find this troubling? 

The amount that people are willing to turn a blind eye to because they’ve already chosen a side is simply stunning. 

His own campaign video? 100% incorrect. Please have another look and adjust your dudgeon accordingly. Good lord. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

No.  

Why?

Just now, JDHillFan said:

His own campaign video? 100% incorrect. Please have another look and adjust your dudgeon accordingly. Good lord. 

They throw the word "nazi" around like it means nothing, perhaps if they realized just how inhuman and soulless the Nazi regime really was they would come up with another word to characterize people they simply disagree with.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

So you're saying DeSantis is a Nazi?

I’m saying it certainly looks like he doesn’t care about being associated with one if it’s true his own staffer retweeted that video 

20 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

If one of my staffers retweeted that, if that’s true, I would have something to say about it if I was against the messaging. 

20 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No.  

Why?

Pure deflection. I’m not a vaccine-pusher. In fact I was against many of the Left’s COVID mandates and didn’t live under lockdown at all. 

You can agree with someone’s COVID’s stance and still disagree on social issues. I don’t like DeSantis at all and would agree that he overall had a better COVID stance than most governors. It’s something called objectivity. 

7 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I’m saying it certainly looks like he doesn’t care about being associated with one if it’s true his own staffer retweeted that video 

If one of my staffers retweeted that, if that’s true, I would have something to say about it if I was against the messaging. 

I was responding to your post, the wording of which could not have been more wrong. Can you admit as much?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

I was responding to your post, the wording of which could not have been more wrong. Can you admit as much?

I think it’s a gray area. It’s his staffer that retweeted it and he hasn’t denounced it to my knowledge. Campaigns claim content they endorse all the time that they didn’t create themselves. 

I actually waited for a while to comment on it to see if they said anything to distance themselves from it. 

I do think overall that DeSantis has really hurt himself with his culture war obsession and at times actually ripping on Trump for being more moderate. I don’t think that strategically even makes sense on the National scale. 

I think Trump continues to blow him out of the water and actually will do so much damage to him by the end that DeSantis won’t even be a real candidate for ‘28. I see Vivek easily surpassing him during this cycle and for the future. 

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I do think overall that DeSantis has really hurt himself with his culture war obsession and at times actually ripping on Trump for being more moderate. I don’t think that strategically even makes sense on the National scale. 

I think Trump continues to blow him out of the water and actually will do so much damage to him by the end that DeSantis won’t even be a real candidate for ‘28. I see Vivek easily surpassing him during this cycle and for the future. 

His “own campaign video” were your words. Isn’t it easier to say you got that wrong than have to do a tap dance about gray areas and retweet’s? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Two very related  things because perhaps you are simply unaware of the situation: that video was removed within one hour of being put up, maybe the staffer who linked to it did not know what it meant. Secondly the only reason I know that it was ever a Nazi sign is that it is all over the Ukraine Army guys, so I less you are truly up on the Ukraine Army it is unlikely you would recognize it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

His “own campaign video” were your words. Isn’t it easier to say you got that wrong than have to do a tap dance about gray areas and retweet’s? 

When a member of his team retweets it? I don't think so. Wasn't there the same question over the LGBTQ one on whether they actually made it or not? They shared it, and then DeSantis basically claimed it as part of the campaign and said it was fair game.