Did you know…the Atlanta Hawks started off as the Buffalo Bisons?

BobbyC81

The Bisons (so that nickname was used for all 4 major sports. How original!) were established in 1946 as a member of the National Basketball League (NBL).  The team only lasted there for 13 games (38 days) as poor attendance forced a move to Moline, Illinois to become the Tri-Cities Blackhawks.  They eventually moved to Milwaukee and became the Hawks, then St Louis, where they won their only title, and finally Atlanta.

3 hours ago, ColeB said:

The Bisons (so that nickname was used for all 4 major sports. How original!) were established in 1946 as a member of the National Basketball League (NBL).  The team only lasted there for 13 games (38 days) as poor attendance forced a move to Moline, Illinois to become the Tri-Cities Blackhawks.  They eventually moved to Milwaukee and became the Hawks, then St Louis, where they won their only title, and finally Atlanta.

So……they can’t manage to keep a fan base is what I’m taking from this. :)

I live in Atlanta and the only person who I can remember talking about the Hawks is the electrician who was here today and excited about the seats he won for tonight on a radio station call in deal. 

I did NOT know that, and very interesting. Atlanta is mostly a transient town with people here for jobs (like us), and the SERIOUS fans are all about their college football. 

Wait - so we have the Clippers AND the Hawks in our bloodline? This burns a little more now….I LOVED the Braves!

Edited by Augie

And Celtics! Braves owner, John Brown, swapped with Celtics owner, Irv Levin.  Irv Levin took his 'new' team and went to San Diego, John Brown stayed in Boston

8 hours ago, Augie said:

I live in Atlanta and the only person who I can remember talking about the Hawks is the electrician who was here today and excited about the seats he won for tonight on a radio station call in deal. 

I did NOT know that, and very interesting. Atlanta is mostly a transient town with people here for jobs (like us), and the SERIOUS fans are all about their college football. 

Wait - so we have the Clippers AND the Hawks in our bloodline? This burns a little more now….I LOVED the Braves!

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I watched a little of the Hawks game last night for the first time in 15 years.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.