Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

10 hours ago, purple haze said:

Transformed the area for whom?  The people who have lived there for decades will be pushed out eventually.  Another gentrification grab.  

What? Who are you talking about, the native tribesmen? My family grew up there. They wouldn’t shed a tear. (And by way, the area in question is not a vibrant residential neighborhood, it’s mostly underutilized commercial property.) My family would be proud of the transformation. With all due respect, you have to think bigger. WNY is sitting on a natural wonder of the world and has done virtually nothing with it for many decades.  There’s tons of potential there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What? Who are you talking about, the native tribesmen? My family grew up there. They wouldn’t shed a tear. (And by way, the area in question is not a vibrant residential neighborhood, it’s mostly underutilized commercial property.) My family would be proud of the transformation. With all due respect, you have to think bigger. WNY is sitting on a natural wonder of the world and has done virtually nothing with it for many decades.  There’s tons of potential there. 

I know where the stadium is.  I go to church in Inglewood.  I know people who live in Inglewood.  The development will become a ripple eventually and Black and Brown residents will start getting priced out.  This same phenomenon has happened in other big cities as generationally neglected areas became “developed”.  

I get why the mayor of Inglewood pushed for the stadium development;.  Jobs created, etc.  But will those types of jobs pay for the rise in costs the development will ultimately lead to?  Inglewood is in a good location.  Freeway close by.  Get to the beach and the airport relatively quickly.    That stadium is likely just the beginning not an ending.

WNY has been a prisoner of its own lack of vision and follow through.  That’s nothing new.  We’ll see how this stadium talk goes.  All that said I’m going to a football thread.   Don’t mean to get diverted by real life on this message board.

Edited by purple haze

On 4/7/2021 at 7:27 PM, SoCal Deek said:

All of that is the glass half full attitude that so often dominates these conversations...which is understandable.  But this particular vein of this thread was about constructing a convention center along with the Stadium.  My point was/is that the ONLY place this sort of mixed use development could ever be viable is at a regional destination spot, like Niagara Falls.  Very few people would come from out of state to Downtown Buffalo for a convention. But, if you tie it to a natural venue like The Falls you'd get people who'd bring their spouse, and make a few days of it.  And regarding the traffic, you have to remember that people would be come to the site from multiple directions, including Canada....which is another fan base the Bills naturally want to tap into.  Traffic would not be the biggest hurdle.  There are plenty of places with a lot worse traffic than WNY.

Ok, you convinced me. Scrap the downtown retractable dome and build it in the Falls. Every time tv returns after commercial break at home games they show the Falls. Might as well have a camera set up in the stadium for that view.👍

On 4/6/2021 at 7:08 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Watch it from home or a bar, for nothing.

What are the stadium events you are working at?

Finished up the NCAAs.  Waiting for a schedule to be posted 1 May.  

On 4/7/2021 at 10:45 PM, Limeaid said:

Not surprising.  Love Canal is just most well known problem.  It is the Siberia of New York State.

Malone/Massena area is the Siberia of NY IMO

The mountains are too far away to really see, and it's flat, freezing cold, grey and windy 8 months of the year.