Jordan Poyer on Pat McAfee Show

These conversations around culture are always funny to me because they always say they can tell the difference in a good culture vs a bad one, but no one ever gets prescriptive about it.   You'd think you'd be able to bottle that stuff up and sell it for millions.

Also funny how having a good culture usually goes hand in hand with having an elite player at the Quarterback position.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

These conversations around culture are always funny to me because they always say they can tell the difference in a good culture vs a bad one, but no one ever gets prescriptive about it.   You'd think you'd be able to bottle that stuff up and sell it for millions.

Also funny how having a good culture usually goes hand in hand with having an elite player at the Quarterback position.

Yes, culture is a myth. No value and completely made up. 

Everyone in the organization are just an X and an O that contribute nothing outside of their playing ability. Look at players as fantasy stats or contract numbers and forget that they’re people... this is the way. 

Edited by JGMcD2

12 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

There are books and public speakers who try to bottle it.

My company does same thing and just had a required training "Unconscious Bios" without realizing how they set up training had an "Unconscious Bios".

They were pushing for it to be done before deadline not understanding there are staff who work off site and only log into mail system when they need to do it since it is not chargeable to those who work at site but those who work in office can just charge as part of their job.  They were judging people on how fast they responded and some do not work at start of week due to schedule.

Every such culture has holes in it and usually those in charge are not interested in people pointing holes in it but Coach McD appears to be willing to listen.

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Culture is created, cultivated, and maintained by leadership it is no secret.  Poor/incompetent leaders may luck into being successful but it is generally because they hired someone who IS competent.

Poor organizations have poor leadership.  Yes from time to time one can get lucky but look no further than the Watson situation in Houston for poor culture directly stemming from leadership.  The Ford family in Detroit, Snyder in Washington, etc.  Good QBs can't hide all warts although it definitely helps.  The change in Buffalo predated Allen's meteoric rise this year.

You can even see it in the Bills/Sabres dynamic.  The Pegulas struggled as owners, hired McBeane and that is when the ship righted.  They have yet to find the right people for the Sabres which is why they continue to struggle.  I think they learned a hard lesson with Rex and got lucky with McDermott (should have been hired by the Browns if their owner listened to his own people).

• Like (+1) 2