Texas has frozen; Bring on the Green New Deal!!

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

the article says the dynamic rates were erroneously calculated by a glitch from the grid being so jacked up. They aren’t actually honoring the miscalculated charges. Is this a deliberate effort to stir the pot with disinformation or don’t read past the tweet? 

$16B erroneously charged while people died and went through who knows what.

MY POINT was this disaster in Texas is a reminder that regulation isn’t (always) the enemy and that the ‘free market’ is rigged and a long way from free.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

$16B erroneously charged while people died and went through who knows what.

MY POINT was this disaster in Texas is a reminder that regulation isn’t (always) the enemy and that the ‘free market’ is rigged and a long way from free.

I think it’s almost a provable fact that regulation has a place in any capitalist market. That’s why the push around utilities is deregulation to allow competition, not un-regulation

people die during natural disasters unfortunately... wish these things were treated as opportunities for improvement as opposed to political opportunities to vilify opposition 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think it’s almost a provable fact that regulation has a place in any capitalist market. That’s why the push around utilities is deregulation to allow competition, not un-regulation

people die during natural disasters unfortunately... wish these things were treated as opportunities for improvement as opposed to political opportunities to vilify opposition 

Now do COVID

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

How does Texas survive without a state income tax?  Why would you ever move here??

bUt dUh bLu sTaTes SuBsIdIZe dA ReD oNeS!!

Who bails Texas and Florida out every year when they have a hurricane ?

Who bails Texas out when they don't winterise  there power system ?

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, ALF said:

JJ Watt

Lol natural disasters.

Now who's bailing out California and New York everything they need help funding their "we retired at 53 folks that have a 6 figure pension?"  

That is man made reckless mismanagement of tax payers money.  

Oh wait.  I guess the left does think those natural disasters are man made to.  Most likely bc of voters in Texas and Florida.

10 hours ago, ALF said:

here’s what the fed contributes by state. It’s interesting... and as you suggest those two are in the top 3. 

But even if they don’t pay state tax, they’d still pay federal tax, wouldn’t they? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gobankingrates.com/money/economy/states-that-receive-most-disaster-aid/amp/

Then I suppose this is the other piece of info.  

FEDERAL TAXES PAID BY STATE

RANKSTATEFEDERAL TAXES PAID BY STATE  (in thousands)

1California$234,499,671

2New York$140,510,002

3Texas$133,417,081

4Florida$116,970,551

5Illinois$67,180,388

6New Jersey$62,812,657

7Pennsylvania$59,450,829

8Massachusetts$54,205,161

9Washinton$45,090,597

10Virginia$44,245,528

from here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gobankingrates.com/money/economy/states-that-receive-most-disaster-aid/amp/

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

16 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

How does Texas survive without a state income tax?  Why would you ever move here??

bUt dUh bLu sTaTes SuBsIdIZe dA ReD oNeS!!

Well head taxes on energy production are how they survive without state income taxes.  

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

here’s what the fed contributes by state. It’s interesting... and as you suggest those two are in the top 3. 

But even if they don’t pay state tax, they’d still pay federal tax, wouldn’t they? 

Then I suppose this is the other piece of info.  

FEDERAL TAXES PAID BY STATE

RANKSTATEFEDERAL TAXES PAID BY STATE  (in thousands)

1California$234,499,671

2New York$140,510,002

3Texas$133,417,081

4Florida$116,970,551

5Illinois$67,180,388

6New Jersey$62,812,657

7Pennsylvania$59,450,829

8Massachusetts$54,205,161

9Washinton$45,090,597

10Virginia$44,245,528

from here

I'm constantly amazed about how little people know about our taxation system and what pays for what (not intended at your specific post).  Your state income tax is supposed to fund education and other state-supplied services.  Your federal income tax was supposed to fund the military, interstate highways, etc....but no longer does.  Your local property taxes and sales taxes are supposed to fund more local services, like police, fire etc.  Unfortunately, these lines have all been crossed now and the federal government has their hands in everything, constantly offering grants and incentives to states, cities, school districts, and municipalities, to coax them into acting the way they want them to.  Of course the Feds are doing all of this coaxing on the BIG national credit card.  Terrible fiscal policy! 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm constantly amazed about how little people know about our taxation system and what pays for what (not intended at your specific post).  Your state income tax is supposed to fund education and other state-supplied services.  Your federal income tax was supposed to fund the military, interstate highways, etc....but no longer does.  Your local property taxes and sales taxes are supposed to fund more local services, like police, fire etc.  Unfortunately, these lines have all been crossed now and the federal government has their hands in everything, constantly offering grants and incentives to states, cities, school districts, and municipalities, to coax them into acting the way they want them to.  Of course the Feds are doing all of this coaxing on the BIG national credit card.  Terrible fiscal policy! 

Agreed. And both parties are guilty of terrible fiscal policy.  Where I live property tax on my home covers education. I’m am advocate of that approach because it allows you to make a rational trade off in what you pay between how lavish or conveniently located of a home you buy or rent vs the quality of school, which seems to me like a reasonable life decision. 

but then as you say there’s some state money and some federal money that trickle in allowing them some influence as well. 

as for not caring, I think it still true that half the country pays no federal income tax. Hence the apathy about where it goes. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood