Could Marty Schottenheimer Have Turned Around The Bills in 2010?

JohnNord

Marty would have been the perfect choice for the Bills at that time. He wanted the job badly, and he and Nix got along well. But, Ralph (who still called the shots on big decisions) didn't want him, so we ended up with Chan Gailey, who is the "perfectly fine choice" for a team that is hopeless and just treading water. 

So glad those days of arguing about Fitzpatrick and hearing about what a "guru" Gailey is are over. 

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Schottenheimer would have turned around the Buffalo Bills very quickly. Marty knew talent! He would have hired the right assistant coaches while building a solid team in Buffalo...even with Buddy Nix and Russ Brandon. 

I am not sure he would. Had he taken over 5 years earlier I'd agree. But whether at his age and 4 years from being diagnosed he would have had the energy to overcome the incompetence around him I don't know. Had they fired Jauron after one year and hired Schotty as soon as the Chargers canned him after the 06 season then I think he absolutely would have turned the Bills around. 

On 2/3/2021 at 4:01 PM, May Day 10 said:

Apparently he was diagnosed in 2014, so not sure if he would have his capacities long enough.

Anyways, the team was un-workable at that point.  It was Russ Brandon's team and nothing other than a new owner would change that.  

Was anyone ever so coveted/rumored to be a Bills head coach through the drought than Schottenheimer (probably Haslett)?

I'd say he's #3 behind the supernova of George Seifert and then Bill Cowher. 

GO figure Ralph putting the kibosh to another good coach coming to Buffalo and he was a former player that helped him win a AFL Championship ?

Apparently Ralph didn't like any one that had seemed to be a dominant air about them Lou Saban should have been on the wall a long time ago but good ole Ralph had a case of the a** for something he said or did while here .

I always had hoped the Bills would bring Marty in to be a HC i think he could have done good things for the team and being a former Bill himself understood what it was like to be a Bill .

I'm very thank full in a lot of ways for Ralph but there are so many other things that surrounded his decision making that i wonder WHY ... 

Prayers up to Marty and his family !! 🙏

On 2/4/2021 at 4:13 PM, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure he would. Had he taken over 5 years earlier I'd agree. But whether at his age and 4 years from being diagnosed he would have had the energy to overcome the incompetence around him I don't know. Had they fired Jauron after one year and hired Schotty as soon as the Chargers canned him after the 06 season then I think he absolutely would have turned the Bills around. 

Funny you should mention that.

After Jauron's first season I was on TSW saying......."kudos to Jauron.......he cleaned up Mularkey's disorganized mess........and now is the perfect time to fire him.......the team can only get to mediocrity by playing not to lose and that's the only trick Jauron has up his sleeve".

That didn't go over well here.........Jauron was beloved.

I was a big proponent of bringing in Marty to fix the mess but Marty did or said something when he played for the Bills that Ralph never forgave.    Not sure what it was but his disdain for Marty was not a secret.......only the reason why was.   I always suspected he knocked up one of Ralph's daughters or something.  It wasn't a surprise that Marty became a coach he was already actively training to be a coach when he was with the Bills.   A former AFL champ Bill coming back to coach the Bills back to prominence?  Made all the sense in the world.

Ralph did try to lure Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher before having to settle for Gailey.......but after decades of thumbing his nose at having a powerful HC the Bills jobs reputation as "where coaches go to die" preceded him.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2