Why did the Bills switch up pass protection scheme in AFC Championship???

Rebel101

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Daboll and Frazier made so many bad decisions against KC that I can't even understand or justify it. All you can do is hope these two better use what might be their final season in Buffalo to make up for these mistakes. 

Enh. They got beat by a far better team. Trying to jam Tyreek Hill is the epitome of stupid. 

14 hours ago, TBBills said:

Why did the Bills go from attacking WRs at the line of scrimmage in the Bal game to letting Mahomes pick us apart... Again, in soft zone. Allowing Kelce a free release into whatever soft spot he wanted.

Wasn't the long Hill TD on a short release vs  press coverage?  5 stuttersteps at the line and cut underneath end of story.

Edited by fan_in_tx

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Maybe you should screenshot your post and tweet it with a mention @buffalobills.  Maybe Kim will hire you when they fire the idiot coaches 

Eh, I'm busy.  

Seriously, though.  I don't think they are idiots and I am almost never critical of game plans because I don' know what they studied in the film room.  However, once the product is put on the field everyone can see it - coaches, fans, experts, and non-experts alike.  What I absolutely do NOT understand is stubbornness in sticking with something that is so obviously not working that drunken TBD posters can see it on their TVs.

16 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

Anybody have any idea? We’ve been using extra blockers all season to give Allen time. The AFC championship we did not and our OLine couldn’t hold at all on their own. The scheme of both sides of the ball was horrible. But why change something so drastic as your pass protection concepts and not do what got you there?

It was the biggest mistake they made in that game (and there were many).    For a couple plays in the second half, they had Lee Smith lining up as a blocker in the backfield, but they inexplicably abandoned the idea.  Otherwise it was empty backfields and Allen running for his life. 

It was insane.  This coaching staff is getting a reputation for out-thinking themselves in high-stakes games. 

(p.s. -- I am normally a big backer of this coaching staff, but the Chiefs game was alarming in its utter abandonment of the proven concepts which got them there.)

Edited by Blue on Blue
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

Because they thought it would help us win

It didn't work. Including in this failed coaching strategy was going for field goals. 

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why did McD opt to kick FGs when it was clear his defense wasn’t stopping Mahomes and TDs were needed to keep pace?

I think the pressure got to him a bit and he made some really questionable decisions/strategies for the game. Just gotta hope he learns from it....

There is no doubt that we were out coached in this one.

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Eh, I'm busy.  

Seriously, though.  I don't think they are idiots and I am almost never critical of game plans because I don' know what they studied in the film room.  However, once the product is put on the field everyone can see it - coaches, fans, experts, and non-experts alike.  What I absolutely do NOT understand is stubbornness in sticking with something that is so obviously not working that drunken TBD posters can see it on their TVs.

Agreed, they needed to adjust and for whatever reason they decided not to, I guess?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

It didn't work. Including in this failed coaching strategy was going for field goals. 

There is no doubt that we were out coached in this one.

In every game, 50% of the coaching staffs get out coached .  It’s happened to the best of them.  It will continue to happen to the best of them.  They out coached a SB winning coach the week prior.  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

In every game, 50% of the coaching staffs get out coached .  It’s happened to the best of them.  It will continue to happen to the best of them.  They out coached a SB winning coach the week prior.  

That's true, but in this game, one would expect MC D to do better after being so badly out coached in the first game. It was disheartening, to say the least. Is KC better than the Bills? Yes, but good coaching with a talented team usually gives you a chance to win. This was embarrassing. 

28 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

That's true, but in this game, one would expect MC D to do better after being so badly out coached in the first game. It was disheartening, to say the least. Is KC better than the Bills? Yes, but good coaching with a talented team usually gives you a chance to win. This was embarrassing. 

It was a bad performance.  Andy Reid has  had several of them. Belichick too.   Every coach has.  Just have to hope he can string a bunch of good games together en route to at least 1 Lombardi.