Johnson and Johnson vaccine shows real promise

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

I shouldn’t have to google this information for you.

If I’m wrong - you prove it. 

CC: @Tenhigh

200 million Pfizer doses with option to purchase up to 400 million more. HHS

That alone will cover the US. 

Here is another 200 million doses of Moderna.  Also HHS

500 Million Astrazeneca and 100 Million Johnson and Johnson.  CNBC

cc:  @Doc

On 1/29/2021 at 9:02 AM, oldmanfan said:

Data is out apparently on the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.  It shows 72% effectiveness against developing either moderate or severe disease after Covid infection, and 85% against sever disease.  It may not be as effective against the South African variant, but deaths were essentially eliminated with this vaccine.  Side effects are very, very minimal.  .  It's not an mRNA virus like the two currently available; it is an adenovirus (cold virus) engineered to produce the Covid spike protein.  And major advantages include that it is a single dose vaccine, and that it can be stored t room temperature.  

I hope the administration gets this vaccine out to the states as quickly as possible.  While 72% effectiveness may seem low compared to the 95% of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, it is still a comparatively very good response as opposed to, say, annual flu vaccines that vary in effectiveness based on the strain.  With these 3 approaches we should be able to get enough folks inoculated to get things back to normal this year.  

Just some stuff to think about around the data were given . 

https://www.americasfrontlinedoctors.com/custom_videos/the-stand-the-truth-about-the-covid-19-vaccine/

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, T master said:

Just some stuff to think about around the data were given . 

https://www.americasfrontlinedoctors.com/custom_videos/the-stand-the-truth-about-the-covid-19-vaccine/

Well, let's consider the sources.  The individual pictured in the video is a Dr. Gold who apparently was one of the insurrectionists on January 6th.  And another member of the group you are referring to is the doctor who famously claimed demon sperm causes endometriosis and tried to defend use of debunked medical approaches for Covid.

This is the problem with our country today.  In the age of social media, this kind of garbage just gets thrown around without any rational basis to it, and people buy into it.  I have been a research scientist and clinical laboratory director for over 40 years.  The vast, vast majority of fellow physicians and scientists are like me, we try to design studies in a non biased way, we believe in data, we alter our opinions and theories as new data becomes available, and if we are wrong in an interpretation we say so.  And unfortunately like any other profession you have a small sliver of idiots that spew the kind of nonsense you see in the video you provided.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, let's consider the sources.  The individual pictured in the video is a Dr. Gold who apparently was one of the insurrectionists on January 6th.  And another member of the group you are referring to is the doctor who famously claimed demon sperm causes endometriosis and tried to defend use of debunked medical approaches for Covid.

This is the problem with our country today.  In the age of social media, this kind of garbage just gets thrown around without any rational basis to it, and people buy into it.  I have been a research scientist and clinical laboratory director for over 40 years.  The vast, vast majority of fellow physicians and scientists are like me, we try to design studies in a non biased way, we believe in data, we alter our opinions and theories as new data becomes available, and if we are wrong in an interpretation we say so.  And unfortunately like any other profession you have a small sliver of idiots that spew the kind of nonsense you see in the video you provided.

I don't know or claim to know about a lot of the scientific things this Dr. talked about (and how do you know it not o be true) but anything to do with Hydroxy chloroquine isn't a lie is it ?? As far as it's being used for 65+ yrs and is used to treat safely a wide range of people for a wide range of other illnesses with little to no side effects but they all the sudden stopped the study 🤔. Why ?

I'm just putting it out there for other than lame stream media info . You have to take every thing with a grain of salt today and look at it, research it and make your own conclusions on it but i will not take a experimental vaccine that was pushed through with little to no trail period and not knowing the true out come as far as side effects .

Yrs back a Dr. told my i needed to take 2 drugs (1 for heart burn the other for sinus allergy) that were a over the counter pills deemed safe to "fix my problem" as he reeked of cigarette smoke . Come to find out that both of those medications now are known to cause cancer yrs later so i for one am glad i didn't sheepishly jump on the band wagon and will not with this experimental drug either .

Usually where there's smoke there's fire and i wouldn't trust a "Career Politician" or the head of WHO as far as i can throw them if you want to with your wealth of knowledge go for it but i will sit back and make a decision by me doing personal research and then make a decision . If i get the virus i will insist on hydroxy/zinc first and do my own study because it has a history where the vaccine has little to none .

I have a neighbor that is a med student (bio chemist to be exact) tell me the reason why they stopped using Hydroxy chloroquine was because in some cases it was making peoples eyes explode in their head which was the reason why they stopped the study wouldn't you think after 65 yrs of use that info would have came out before now ?

He also said this type of video is propaganda well there is plenty of that going around from all sides so we have to research and make a judgement that we are happy with going forward but seeing as those early video's where taken off youtube & other platforms says to me there might be something here to look a bit deeper into .

Do the studies to completion let the evidence speak for itself not a politician but the actual Dr's that do those studies then be careful of those conclusions until more is known . That's why they call it "Medical Practice" ... JMHO 

Just now, T master said:

I don't know or claim to know about a lot of the scientific things this Dr. talked about (and how do you know it not o be true) but anything to do with Hydroxy chloroquine isn't a lie is it ?? As far as it's being used for 65+ yrs and is used to treat safely a wide range of people for a wide range of other illnesses with little to no side effects but they all the sudden stopped the study 🤔. Why ?

I'm just putting it out there for other than lame stream media info . You have to take every thing with a grain of salt today and look at it, research it and make your own conclusions on it but i will not take a experimental vaccine that was pushed through with little to no trail period and not knowing the true out come as far as side effects .

Yrs back a Dr. told my i needed to take 2 drugs (1 for heart burn the other for sinus allergy) that were a over the counter pills deemed safe to "fix my problem" as he reeked of cigarette smoke . Come to find out that both of those medications now are known to cause cancer yrs later so i for one am glad i didn't sheepishly jump on the band wagon and will not with this experimental drug either .

Usually where there's smoke there's fire and i wouldn't trust a "Career Politician" or the head of WHO as far as i can throw them if you want to with your wealth of knowledge go for it but i will sit back and make a decision by me doing personal research and then make a decision . If i get the virus i will insist on hydroxy/zinc first and do my own study because it has a history where the vaccine has little to none .

I have a neighbor that is a med student (bio chemist to be exact) tell me the reason why they stopped using Hydroxy chloroquine was because in some cases it was making peoples eyes explode in their head which was the reason why they stopped the study wouldn't you think after 65 yrs of use that info would have came out before now ?

He also said this type of video is propaganda well there is plenty of that going around from all sides so we have to research and make a judgement that we are happy with going forward but seeing as those early video's where taken off youtube & other platforms says to me there might be something here to look a bit deeper into .

Do the studies to completion let the evidence speak for itself not a politician but the actual Dr's that do those studies then be careful of those conclusions until more is known . That's why they call it "Medical Practice" ... JMHO 

The reason hydroxychloroquine was taken off the FDA list for Covid is because trials indicated it was ineffective in treating Covid and because there was concern about risk of side effects in those who were trialed on the drug.  The drug is designed to treat malaria as well as autoimmune diseases such as lupus.  Not every drug is going to work against every disease, of course.  

It's been a while since I reviewed the material, but if I recall correctly HCQ was being tested as a therapeutic for hospitalized patients that had contracted the disease, and was ineffective in limiting mortality or length of hospitalization, and that the data suggested a higher incidence of significant cardiovascular side effects in patients given the rug.  Why the side effects were not seen in patients taking the drug for recognized and approved disease states likely has something to do with things like dosages and the underlying severity of the disease in the Covid patients.  

Doing clinical trials isn't the easiest thing in the world.  I've been involved in a few.  Getting patient to sign up knowing they may get placebo is probably the main issue.  I can also tell you that the FDA doesn't play games with these things.  I sit on an FDA advisory panel, and the data analysis we do is very thorough, and you have to sign umpteen documents to ensure you are not bringing any bias into your work on the panel.  

Those who believe that HCQ (with our without additional zinc and or vitamin D) is an appropriate preventive medication should design an appropriate trial to test it, get it approved by an appropriate IRB (institutional review board) and begin enrolling patients.  Make sure you enroll enough patients in the control and treatment arms to give you an answer, and then submit your data to the FDA.  That is how good science and medicine get done.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The reason hydroxychloroquine was taken off the FDA list for Covid is because trials indicated it was ineffective in treating Covid and because there was concern about risk of side effects in those who were trialed on the drug.  The drug is designed to treat malaria as well as autoimmune diseases such as lupus.  Not every drug is going to work against every disease, of course.  

It's been a while since I reviewed the material, but if I recall correctly HCQ was being tested as a therapeutic for hospitalized patients that had contracted the disease, and was ineffective in limiting mortality or length of hospitalization, and that the data suggested a higher incidence of significant cardiovascular side effects in patients given the rug.  Why the side effects were not seen in patients taking the drug for recognized and approved disease states likely has something to do with things like dosages and the underlying severity of the disease in the Covid patients.  

Doing clinical trials isn't the easiest thing in the world.  I've been involved in a few.  Getting patient to sign up knowing they may get placebo is probably the main issue.  I can also tell you that the FDA doesn't play games with these things.  I sit on an FDA advisory panel, and the data analysis we do is very thorough, and you have to sign umpteen documents to ensure you are not bringing any bias into your work on the panel.  

Those who believe that HCQ (with our without additional zinc and or vitamin D) is an appropriate preventive medication should design an appropriate trial to test it, get it approved by an appropriate IRB (institutional review board) and begin enrolling patients.  Make sure you enroll enough patients in the control and treatment arms to give you an answer, and then submit your data to the FDA.  That is how good science and medicine get done.

This is one of the best posts that I have ever read on an Internet message board.  Well done. 

21 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Thank you very informative reply much appreciated !! 

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

It was a reply.  That's pretty much it.

Yah but at least it had some permanent info in it with out any hate infused in it and it's his opinion from experience not from here say .

I can appreciate it for that but i still think there could be a lot more in the video that could have some substance to it than some would like to think but that's just me ...

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

It was a reply.  That's pretty much it.

I provided accurate information.  I sit on a FDA panel and know how they work.  Can we not have any comments on this part of the board that do not have a negative comment to follow?

34 minutes ago, T master said:

Thank you very informative reply much appreciated !! 

As my daughter who works at Chik Fil-A would say, it's my pleasure!

• Like (+1) 1

Just a side note about the concerns of HCQ side affects for any who are interested.  Both HCQ and Chloroquine prolong the QT interval of the heartbeat.  For most people this is absolutely fine, but there are some people who already have a prolonged QT interval, it's a rare condition known as Long QT (usually its inherited from a parent).  Most people who have it live their whole lives undiagnosed, but at it's worst, Long QT can lead to fainting, and even heart attack/death in extreme cases (torsade de pointes).  The danger with HCQ and CQ is that they can exacerbate this condition. If your undiagnosed, it could be a problem, especially if you were home. 

I do tend to think the news tended to blow the dangers out of proportion.  Primarily because fear = ratings, plus Trump backed it strongly.  But also, because there is a very long list of medicines that have the same effect on QT, one of which is azithromycin (Z-pak), which was heavily used early on in COVID as a "treatment", and sometimes TOGETHER with HCQ, ironically.  Any Dr. who's not an idiot could get a quick EKG to rule out severe long QT prior to prescribing.  

Edited by Tenhigh

2 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Just a side note about the concerns of HCQ side affects for any who are interested.  Both HCQ and Chloroquine prolong the QT interval of the heartbeat.  For most people this is absolutely fine, but there are some people who already have a prolonged QT interval, it's a rare condition known as Long QT (usually its inherited from a parent).  Most people who have it live their whole lives undiagnosed, but at it's worst, Long QT can lead to fainting, and even heart attack/death in extreme cases (torsade de pointes).  The danger with HCQ and CQ is that they can exacerbate this condition. If your undiagnosed, it could be a problem, especially if you were home. 

I do tend to think the news tended to blow the dangers out of proportion.  Primarily because fear = ratings, plus Trump backed it strongly.  But also, because there is a very long list of medicines that have the same effect on QT, one of which is azithromycin (Z-pak), which was heavily used early on in COVID as a "treatment", and sometimes TOGETHER with HCQ, ironically.  An Dr. who's not an idiot could get a quick EKG to rule out severe long QT prior to prescribing.  

Good point

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I provided accurate information.  I sit on a FDA panel and know how they work.  Can we not have any comments on this part of the board that do not have a negative comment to follow?

I'm just pissed at the way the whole thing was handled.  There was no time for studies: we were up against the wall and there was NOTHING ELSE available to combat it.  Meanwhile research had been done into HCQ and it's mechanism of action years before Trump even took office, and it's safety had been well-established.  Then all of a sudden it became the most dangerous drug in the world and Trump just whipped it out of his ass because he has stock in it. :rolleyes: