Jump to content

Weird thing about Bills vs Ravens history


Recommended Posts

So rare it's not much of a rivalry.  Browns might be the bigger rival.  They sucked when the Bills sucked and now they are getting good and have a young up and coming franchise QB at the same time as the Bills.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Since the Ravens became a team in 1996, we have only played them 9 times with a 3-6 record against them and have only played them 3 times total in Buffalo (2007, 2013,2019).

 

I didn't realize how rare the Bills vs Ravens rivalry is


they played 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2004 under the current schedule rotating divisional format. 3H and 3R.  Because of unbalanced divisions when Cleveland came back there wasn’t many games against st that division from 1996-2001. Opponent were based on last years standings

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, djp14150 said:


they played 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2004 under the current schedule rotating divisional format. 3H and 3R.  Because of unbalanced divisions when Cleveland came back there wasn’t many games against st that division from 1996-2001. Opponent were based on last years standings

It was 1999, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2019

 

Since 1996, Only 3 of those games have been in Buffalo. That's wild

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

Am I mistaken or weren't the Ravens the former Cleveland Browns?  I thought the Browns moved and became the Ravens, then a few years later someone else formed the new Browns.   My memory is poor so I might be wrong.

So you're saying we might need to play the browns twice?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

Am I mistaken or weren't the Ravens the former Cleveland Browns?  I thought the Browns moved and became the Ravens, then a few years later someone else formed the new Browns.   My memory is poor so I might be wrong.


 Michael, that is correct.  Art Modell (the owner who championed MNF and several other league advancements as well as championed more African Americans drafted in the 50’s and 60’s before it became common, ie. Jim Brown and others) tried negotiating with Ohio and Cleveland for a new stadium as the old one was falling apart.  The city and state continued to stall, and Baltimore ponied up.  Baltimore if you remember had the Colts there forever until they moved out in. The middle of the night in 1984.  MD was willing to pay a substantial amt. of $ for the new stadium.  Modell supposedly warned Ohio he would have to move if they didn’t find the $.

 

The Ravens came to fruition in 1996 (when Ray Lewis was drafted).  Incidentally, I knew people from Cleveland would probably not be happy about the whole situation, but when I went there fir a couple of business trips, I heard first hand the vitriol for Modell.  It’s understandable if we lost our Bills.

 

There is a lot more, but it was a crazy time during the 80’s and 90’s with teams moving, expansion,etc. it’s understandable especially if you’re younger (just a guess, but could be wrong) to not have all the movement down.

 

The historians probably could do a better job then me if this is a serious inquiry.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

 

They are up there with the Colts, Chiefs and Steelers as being the second best team in the AFC since 2000. 

 

seems to be an odd omission from this group... nevermind, re-read it... "second best team".

Edited by loedward22
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only play that sticks out in my head between these teams is Flutie to Linton in the final two minutes in a defensive struggle.  That's about it.

 

I've never liked the Ravens.  Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders, Ray Rice, Terrence Cody, Jamal Lewis, Bam Morris, ugly colors, and an obsession with sea food.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doc, funny you say that as I’ve always respected Harbaugh, and a team that came out strong since the beginning.  Incidentally, I forgot Deion was there.  I just get sick of the melodrama with Ray Lewis.  He was positive the other day about the Bills on Inside the NFL, but he is over the top.  It’s like he is still trying to overcompensate for that mess in Atlanta over 20 years ago.

 

After watching the show, I was even more emboldened how much I hope we bury them Saturday night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

JA Bills lost 1 game to LJ on a blown coverage play that resulted in a TD by the Cravens.  24-17 was the final score last year. 

Prior to that we never had a Franchise QB in the Ravens history.  Bledsoe in 2004 also lost to them in Baltimore.

 

Sugar High Josh Allen is all but gone and now we have Diggs.  

The Cravens say they will still Blitz Josh and as we see in the stats Josh has been good against the blitz.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:


 Michael, that is correct.  Art Modell (the owner who championed MNF and several other league advancements as well as championed more African Americans drafted in the 50’s and 60’s before it became common, ie. Jim Brown and others) tried negotiating with Ohio and Cleveland for a new stadium as the old one was falling apart.  The city and state continued to stall, and Baltimore ponied up.  Baltimore if you remember had the Colts there forever until they moved out in. The middle of the night in 1984.  MD was willing to pay a substantial amt. of $ for the new stadium.  Modell supposedly warned Ohio he would have to move if they didn’t find the $.

 

The Ravens came to fruition in 1996 (when Ray Lewis was drafted).  Incidentally, I knew people from Cleveland would probably not be happy about the whole situation, but when I went there fir a couple of business trips, I heard first hand the vitriol for Modell.  It’s understandable if we lost our Bills.

 

There is a lot more, but it was a crazy time during the 80’s and 90’s with teams moving, expansion,etc. it’s understandable especially if you’re younger (just a guess, but could be wrong) to not have all the movement down.

 

The historians probably could do a better job then me if this is a serious inquiry.

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Modell had a ton of debts he owed to the city of Cleveland and part of him leaving was to dodge all of that. And that was on top of the whole stadium thing. Plus the city of Cleveland wanted him to stay in the old stadium until at the lease expired. I think the lease went until the 1998 season or something like that. The whole thing was crazy and what Modell did was messed up. I know the City of Cleveland hates him

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:


 Michael, that is correct.  Art Modell (the owner who championed MNF and several other league advancements as well as championed more African Americans drafted in the 50’s and 60’s before it became common, ie. Jim Brown and others) tried negotiating with Ohio and Cleveland for a new stadium as the old one was falling apart.  The city and state continued to stall, and Baltimore ponied up.  Baltimore if you remember had the Colts there forever until they moved out in. The middle of the night in 1984.  MD was willing to pay a substantial amt. of $ for the new stadium.  Modell supposedly warned Ohio he would have to move if they didn’t find the $.

 

The Ravens came to fruition in 1996 (when Ray Lewis was drafted).  Incidentally, I knew people from Cleveland would probably not be happy about the whole situation, but when I went there fir a couple of business trips, I heard first hand the vitriol for Modell.  It’s understandable if we lost our Bills.

 

There is a lot more, but it was a crazy time during the 80’s and 90’s with teams moving, expansion,etc. it’s understandable especially if you’re younger (just a guess, but could be wrong) to not have all the movement down.

 

The historians probably could do a better job then me if this is a serious inquiry.

 

This is true, but there is another wrinkle. Part of the deal allowing Modell to move the team was that he had cut all connections between his franchise and the historical Cleveland Browns, since the NFL promised Cleveland they would get a franchise back eventually. So the Ravens are officially a team whose history only begins in 1996—check out their historical record, individual and team records, etc. The current Browns (reborn in 1999) have inherited all of Cleveland's history. This is different from other franchises that have moved--the Titans, for example, are officially a continuation of the Oilers, just as the Vegas Raiders are part of a continuity that runs back to Oakland, then LA, then Oakland.

 

Also, Art Modell is responsible for Jim Brown retiring at 29 in 1966 because Modell wouldn't let him finish filming the Dirty Dozen and told him either to show up on time for training camp or not to show up at all. Brown told him to jump in the lake. So, fork Art Modell every which way with a red hot poker.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...