Trump Impeachment 2.0

26 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Time for Congress to get to work  instead of chasing the orange Boogieman  and going on vacation. 

According to Trump's defense team, the Democrats should be filing a dereliction of duty impeachment charge, and this time taking more time to gather evidence.  So far his own lawyer has said he lost the election, should be criminally charged, and impeachments should have line by line charges.  Oy vey!

1 minute ago, ALF said:

Read McConnell's remarks on the Senate floor following Trump's acquittal

and reiterate something I said weeks ago: There is no question that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of that day.

"The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their President.
"And their having that belief was a foreseeable consequence of the growing crescendo of false statements, conspiracy theories, and reckless hyperbole which the defeated President kept shouting into the largest megaphone on planet Earth.

"The leader of the free world cannot spend weeks thundering that shadowy forces are stealing our country and then feign surprise when people believe him and do reckless things.

"Indeed, Justice Story specifically reminded that while former officials were not eligible for impeachment or conviction, they were "still liable to be tried and punished in the ordinary tribunals of justice."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/13/politics/mcconnell-remarks-trump-acquittal/index.html

A long and a very good explanation,  I accept it

The only problem is he said impeachment is for removal.  Well, he decided it would be ok for a president who formed an insurrection to stay in office for another week.  One could only beg the question to McConnell, "is it possible he does more damage in the week you let him remain in office?".

6 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Mitch McConnell basically said that he was guilty as hell, but we had to let him go, because the arresting officer didn't read him his rights.  To the Republican nutbars that's the equivalent of complete and total vindication.  Wayy too many people live in an alternate reality. 

Wonderful. Time to close the book on all of this greatness rhetoric. Can we get on with ‘transforming the country’ now? 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wonderful. Time to close the book on all of this greatness rhetoric. Can we get on with ‘transforming the country’ now? 

I was done with it before impeachment.  There was zero chance in hell he would be convicted, but also zero chance he's ever re-elected.  If a president who lost on his Covid response wins after an insurrection, I'll eat a shoe.  

5 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I was done with it before impeachment.  There was zero chance in hell he would be convicted, but also zero chance he's ever re-elected.  If a president who lost on his Covid response wins after an insurrection, I'll eat a shoe.  

There, we agree. Trump has zero interest in being President again. He went to Washington to try and get things done and found out that Washington isn’t built for getting things done. Both sides of the aisle are awash with career politicians who’s central purpose is getting re-elected...not getting things done. At least not for the American middle class anyway. Sad.

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

There, we agree. Trump has zero interest in being President again. He went to Washington to try and get things done and found out that Washington isn’t built for getting things done. Both sides of the aisle are awash with career politicians who’s central purpose is getting re-elected...not getting things done. At least not for the American middle class anyway. Sad.

Now we move onto the Republicans falling in love with MTG, while they bash AOC's credentials.  It's all a bunch of nonsense.  

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wish I could agree, but his narcissism and ego won't allow him to have his legacy as losing the presidency.  He'd want to try again, but that will be impossible to do from prison.  I believe he'll be indicted and convicted for fraud, extortion, or other charges in NYS, probably Georgia, and quite possibly in DC.  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Wish I could agree, but his narcissism and ego won't allow him to have his legacy as losing the presidency.  He'd want to try again, but that will be impossible to do from prison.  I believe he'll be indicted and convicted for fraud, extortion, or other charges in NYS, probably Georgia, and quite possibly in DC.  

He will never have more votes than he had last time.  You don't pick up voters by insurrections.  He's finished as a politician.  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Once again that just leaves an opening for you and me, my friend! Make America America Again. 😁

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The second most "bipartisan" impeachment in our country's history I believe behind Andrew Johnson.  The technical reason of he's no longer a president had to be used by McConnell as a yes vote on acquittal for crying out loud.  The usual political witch hunt argument couldn't even be used like it was in his first impeachment and Clinton's impeachment.

Trump did manage to be the first president in four years to lose reelection and go from having the majority in the two houses to the minority since Hoover in '32.  So Dems can thank him for that.

Sorry Doc, I could not disagree more.  One of the major challenges with the impeachment process is that it is by definition political.  McConnell’s response was as well.  As I understand it, he could have allowed the impeachment to begin while Trump was in office and chose not to.  He could have voted with the gang of Romney rhinos, but chose a calculated strategy of expressed indignation and  outrage while voting against impeachment. 

Besides, the senate vote was what it was.  All senators voted, Trump was acquitted, no smoking gun evidence was ever presented, and the dems folded like a cheap suit on the issue of witnesses testifying under oath.  One would assume with the heart and soul of the nation on the line, and declarations of clear and convincing evidence (again) going nowhere fast (again), the spectacle died with a whimper as we all knew it would.

Bi-partisan review lead to a clear acquittal. 

You are correct on the loss.  However, I’d add Trump, the Chinese government, death and pandemic, the failed Russia hoax, the first nonsensical impeachment and a desire for a return to status quo politics all conspired to put the new old geez in the WH.   That student loan debt promise played a huge part as well.  

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Sorry Doc, I could not disagree more.  One of the major challenges with the impeachment process is that it is by definition political.  McConnell’s response was as well.  As I understand it, he could have allowed the impeachment to begin while Trump was in office and chose not to.  He could have voted with the gang of Romney rhinos, but chose a calculated strategy of expressed indignation and  outrage while voting against impeachment. 

Besides, the senate vote was what it was.  All senators voted, Trump was acquitted, no smoking gun evidence was ever presented, and the dems folded like a cheap suit on the issue of witnesses testifying under oath.  One would assume with the heart and soul of the nation on the line, and declarations of clear and convincing evidence (again) going nowhere fast (again), the spectacle died with a whimper as we all knew it would.

Bi-partisan review lead to a clear acquittal. 

You are correct on the loss.  However, I’d add Trump, the Chinese government, death and pandemic, the failed Russia hoax, the first nonsensical impeachment and a desire for a return to status quo politics all conspired to put the new old geez in the WH.   That student loan debt promise played a huge part as well.  

Student debt forgiveness won't be easy to pass.  Over 50% of Americans support it though.  I'm just curious why the Republicans are ALWAYS against things popular with Americans.  Last time I checked, they were the group who didn't want a government making big brother decisions for them.  A government of the people should act not just in the interest of the people, but coincidentally with what ideas the people favor and want.  

52 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Student debt forgiveness won't be easy to pass.  Over 50% of Americans support it though.  I'm just curious why the Republicans are ALWAYS against things popular with Americans.  Last time I checked, they were the group who didn't want a government making big brother decisions for them.  A government of the people should act not just in the interest of the people, but coincidentally with what ideas the people favor and want.  

I'll bet most Americans would like to get a $10,000 check in the mail every month so they can sit on their asses and live a comfortable life and just relax and party all day but should we do that too? 

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'll bet most Americans would like to get a $10,000 check in the mail every month so they can sit on their asses and live a comfortable life and just relax and party all day but should we do that too? 

If you can show me evidence that helps the economy then sure

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey...did you get your second dose? Any side effects? I heard the second one can be more challenging.

It was.  At least the Moderna vaccine was.  I haven't heard any of my colleagues who got the Pfizer vaccine saying the 2nd dose was as rough as Moderna's.

39 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Big brother has nothing to do with this, imo. Quite the opposite I think. My guess is that most are against it on principle, as Republicans have always pitched themselves as the party for free markets, personal/fiscal responsibility (but certainly haven't always acted this way) and hand-ups over hand-outs.  Mass loan forgiveness flies in the face of that. Forbes has an decent write up on it if you are interested.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prestoncooper2/2020/11/17/the-case-against-student-loan-forgiveness/

4 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Big brother has nothing to do with this, imo. Quite the opposite I think. My guess is that most are against it on principle, as Republicans have always pitched themselves as the party for free markets, personal/fiscal responsibility (but certainly haven't always acted this way) and hand-ups over hand-outs.  Mass loan forgiveness flies in the face of that. Forbes has an decent write up on it if you are interested.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prestoncooper2/2020/11/17/the-case-against-student-loan-forgiveness/

The poll I saw was not very recent and it was 56% for.  I agree it is still very unpopular though, especially with conservatives.  I'm kind of on the fence with it, as the cost of education is the real problem, so why not fix that.

• Like (+1) 1